997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pirelli Trofeo or Michelin Sport Cup?

Old 11-22-2011, 12:04 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I had the Trofeos and they handled nicely and were very predictable. However, I chose to go back to the Corsa systems because of the Trofeos only lasted a couple of track days and blistered with less than 1300 miles on them.

The Corsa systems wear much longer and I don't feel I am giving up any handling compared with the Trofeos.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:14 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If trakcar and mdrums can send me data from Daytona 3 weeks ago, I can compare the info from the infield, check averages, because the brand new MPSC I ran felt very good.

I ran MPSC for 3 years as my street tires (2003-2005), they would heat cycle with street use, but it would take a long time for them to get there. These were race-spec MPSC not the Porsche tamed down version (now called mpsc n-spec). I ran them again in my 2007 GT3 RS back in 2008 and 2009, and I was fine with them, but I did not like them as street tires, very bad in the rain, and they would heat cycle out.

However, if you just put them on to drive to the track, do your track day, get back home and switch to other street tires, I think the MPSC might be a good option.

My data from Daytona is revealing, but I need more data to compare grip in the infield to the Aero Beetles on RA1. The MPSC felt as grippy as old heat cycled out Hoosier A6, and better than the RE-11. However, I ran 255/285 RE-11 at day 1 in Daytona for just 2 sessions, and the MPSC were brand new 265/345x19, these sizes fit any 997 wide body.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:49 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had Corsa System in the Fiat, slow tires, very slow. I went through 5 sets of R888 in just 8 track days, some autocrosses at half duty (the other half on A6) and street miles, in a period of 12 months.

The revelation was when I tested the RE-11 against R888 at the Riverside 45 secs Go-Kart track, they were as fast as fresh R888. 245/285x19 RE-11 vs. 235/295x19 R888.

I got a 2nd set of RE-11 for the Cayman and started doing testing on autoX and ProSolo against Hoosier A6, RE-11 on heavy 19" stock wheels and 235/265 against A6 on ultra light 18" wheels and 285/285. Acceptable lap time difference, with the RE-11 showing competitive lap times. I even ran 2 rounds of National level events on RE-11 and was keeping up with the mid pack field running Hoosier A6.

The final proof of RE-11 being fast was my first ever track day at Sebring. Never driven the track before January 2011, I ran 2 sessions in 245/285 RE-11 and another 2 sessions the same 1st day on Hoosier A6 295/345x19. There was no way I could drive Sebring properly on my first day there with very short coaching from Trakcar and Erik. I ran with PBOC on the Solo group with some decent traffic.

Best lap on A6: 2:22.901
Best lap on RE-11: 2:24.368

Interesting part is that only the front RE-11 in the Fiat have been replaced, due to a flat (caused by loose valve). The RE-11 in the Fiat and Cayman are 14 months and 21 months old respectively. Their grip doesn't go away.

If I have to give up 2 secs at a track like Sebring, and drive on a tire that produces decent lap times and seems to last forever, the RE-11 is my only choice.

The reason I did not run RE-11 at Daytona, was the speed rating on them is 168mph, and Daytona has the chance to upset them. I think on just 2 sessions at Daytona on RE-11 I caused some deformation on them, but I will know later when I mount them back again in the Fiat and drive on them. I got the RE-11 wheels balanced, if the vibration keeps coming, I know they are done, and I know I caused the problem.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports that I have in my other car don't have the dry grip of the RE-11, but in the rain they are unbelievable. I am getting another set of PSS for my tow truck.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:12 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

My corsa systems chunked.
My MPSC chunked, twice.
My MPSS have not chunked and get better with more track use, esp in rain.
My Hoosiers heat cycled out too fast.
Bottom line - no perfect tire. My solution is MPSS for street and rain days and Hoosier R6 for dryer, more perfect days. I even drive to the track on Hoosiers if it's 45 minutes away. Anything longer than 1.5 hr, I trailer.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:20 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by CorsicanBB
All of the 'serious' Porsche track guys in the middle east have Trofeos on their cars. If you can afford them, it is a no-brainer as far as I am concerned. As the President of the Porsche Club UAE and 7-time UAE GT championship winner jokingly said once about Trofeos: "nobody should need this much grip!" I recently had an issue with one (sidewall longitudinal tear after one track day) which Pirelli replaced under warranty. Other than that, nothing but good things to report. On a track like the Dubai Autodrome (5.4km in GP configuration) they are good for a 4s advantage on MPSCs. Amazing dry grip, phenomenal hot grip, which they keep until the thread is gone.
Thanks for the report...interesting...these seem promising. Any idea of how many heat cycles guys are getting fromt them or just drive them till no tread is left?
Old 11-22-2011, 01:23 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by 996toomey
Agree with this too. If money was not a factor I would run the Trofeos.
Trofeo's is 235/305 sizes are right at 1600ish....not bad...as R888's same sizes are $1400.....best pricing I'm getting on MPSC is $1900 with $70 Michelin Rebate this month. Pirelli Corsa System are $2400 on Tire Rack.....YIKES!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:49 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Thanks for the report...interesting...these seem promising. Any idea of how many heat cycles guys are getting fromt them or just drive them till no tread is left?
I don't think your issue will be heat cycle to be honest.

Furthermore, the longevity is proportional to how hard you drive.

Corsican drives hard, and he's very quick. So, not much tire life.

A buddy of mine has 4k miles (inclusive of 4 track days) on his... and, miraculously, they are still performing. He is new to the car though so he doesn't push hard

Most of the feedback I've received - all from GT3/GT2 drivers - is that the tires are much, much quicker than MPSC, between 2 and 4s a lap. But does everyone like them? Not necessarily.

One guy in a gt2 found that they made the car "softer"; so much grip that the suspension was traveling more than he was used to and he didn't like it. He was still 3s a lap quicker than MPSC.

They are also a pain in the *** in terms of mounting and fitting - to seat the bead, you will EASILY hit 120psi before it pops. Sounds like a gunshot. VP of P-club on Friday had a tire explode during mounting - and Pirelli was doing the mounting!! He wound up running a brand new set of Trofeos at the rear with an old set of MPSC at the front. Can you say understeer?

I wouldn't put them on unless you are already quite a good driver, as they will mask most errors you are making and make you appear quicker than everyone around you! At least thats the logic I was using...
Old 11-22-2011, 03:24 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As per lap time
Trofeo > MSPC > Corsas
Old 11-22-2011, 05:24 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

I have Trofeos on my RGT. They have much more grip compared to MPSCs and Corsas. It is not even close. You need to run them at 30 hot. The only downside is tire life when compared to MPSCs or Corsas, but then again, the Trofeos are a real R compound tire. Heat cycles are not an issue, and you can drive them until they cord. I like them so much that I will go to Trofeos on my GT3 too.

Please note that you cannot expose Trofeos to temperatures under 40 F.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:41 AM
mdrums
Race Director

RE11's are HEAVY...24lbs more than MPSC!
Old 11-22-2011, 10:04 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 412 Posts

Mike,

Out of the box thinking but you should consider the Yokohama AD08 street tire. Likes heat unlike the RE11, good slip angles, very progressive breakaway. That was what Ian was running on my Stock, non cheater, 6GT3 when he passed you at Sebring and he was impressed with your GTS speed and driving. His fast laps were in the 2:27.5 range.

The AD08 comes in a 295/30 19 but don't let that scare you as it is 11.5" tread width which is a wide or wider than other 305/315 19. Front size selection is good. Now for the best part a set should run you around $1250. They also wear like iron and have a very stiff sidewall with crisp steering.

Another even better street tire/track tire is the Hankook R-S3 they make a 305/30 19 but not sure if they have a front tire that would work on your car. Kooks also like heat and are faster than RE11 or AD08 though not as good in the wet as either.

Peter

Last edited by 85Gold; 11-22-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Add content
Old 11-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Mike.

If I were you, I would go michelin super sports and have fun at the speed you can drive the car with them. Or buy a tire trailer and go hoosier.

$2k for a set of tires is nuts

Glad you finally realized that R888 is garbage

Question for teh Hoosier guys.....do teh fronts last 2x the life of the rears?
Old 11-22-2011, 10:56 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike- I ran Trofeos on my Spyder and on my 3RS. Back before I trailered the cars. I think I went through four sets total.

1. As mentioned bead seating requires high psi 100+ (for what that matters)
2. They need camber to work and not wear funkily.
3. They are 2-4 secs a lap faster than MPSC or Corsa Systems
4. I got approx 4 track days, maybe 5 max, out of a set.
5. You must be very careful to run them at very low hot psi, no more than 32 psi! Optimal is 29.5psi. Higher pressures cause grip to be greatly reduced and wear out the center tread in only a few sessions.
6. A better rain tire than MPSC - stickier and big grooves.
7. Rough street ride. Harsh.

The tread compound is very sticky. When hot almost gooey. The compound is made in the same single vat that Pirelli makes their race tire compound in. That is why Trofeos couldn't be bought for much of last year, they simply did not have ability to cook more rubber as they had high demand for the race rubber.

The "problem" is the need for camber as that then compromises street driving and wear. If your track is not so far away, say 40-60 miles, you will probably be ok. The great thing about MPSC is they work great with OE camber settings. Figure on the Trofeos you need -2.0/-2.2 (minimum!) front and -2.5 rear to get good results.

If you don't add camber, then you will very quickly wear out the center row of tread blocks adjacent to the outside of the tire and not make full use of the huge treadblocks on the outside of the tire. An appearance of overinflation but that is not the cause.

As pointed out, tire choice is always a compromise of some sort, pick what you can live with and not and make your choice.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by savyboy; 11-24-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:18 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Mike.

If I were you, I would go michelin super sports and have fun at the speed you can drive the car with them. Or buy a tire trailer and go hoosier.

$2k for a set of tires is nuts

Glad you finally realized that R888 is garbage

Question for teh Hoosier guys.....do teh fronts last 2x the life of the rears?
Izzone

AD08/RE11/R-S3 are better dry tires than PSS

Peter
Old 11-22-2011, 11:34 AM
roncfpz
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience with the Trofeos has been very favorable so far. I ran Daytona a few weeks ago with them for 3 days and about 16 heat cycles. Very even tire wear and excellent grip. Grip is better than Corsa and wayyyy better than R888. So far they still look very good; will see how they feel at Road Atlanta soon.

They are a cheaper tire than Corsa; mine cost $1600. I agree with above comments at running them around 30-32 psi hot; anything higher and they lose grip. I had to bleed pressure off in the morning, mid-session. I figure they improved lap times about 3-4 seconds a lap on Daytona.

I highly recommend them and probably will not go the Hoosier route now as I'm satisified with their performance and value.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pirelli Trofeo or Michelin Sport Cup?