Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Turbo S vs GT2 RS for street use

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Turbo S vs GT2 RS for street use

For people that own both, can you compare and contrast these cars as street cars. I am not even good enough to really push my 3.8 on the track, so the GT2 RS will be out of the question. Just curious to see if the GT2 RS is manageable for spirited road use.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:38 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Riz
For people that own both, can you compare and contrast these cars as street cars. I am not even good enough to really push my 3.8 on the track, so the GT2 RS will be out of the question. Just curious to see if the GT2 RS is manageable for spirited road use.
Just sold my 2RS and own a 3RS and 4.0.

A 2RS is perfectly manageable as long you know that you will never have a lapse in concentration, don't drive much in the rain or cold and that you will always respect it as one would a sleeping pit bull.

I have not owned but have driven Turbo's and Turbo S and personally consider them to be the best all-purpose, all-weather super car in the world.

If you enjoy high reward along with high risk taking the 2RS is for you. If you simply want to go mind blowingly fast anytime and anywhere, Turbo would be a fine choice.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:45 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

all wheel drive is a winner in all weather daily driving.....
Old 10-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gt2rs all day - my fav 997
Old 10-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Richie18
Instructor

All cars are manageable for street use, they're road cars after all intended to be driven on the street. You just have to be smart enough not to push the throttle to the floor...
Old 10-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a 3.8 rs, turbo S and my 4.0 is on the way. I guess I wanted to know the difference in feel between the turbo/turbo S and GT2 RS. I have never driven a GT2 or a GT2 RS. I definitely feel like I'm missing something with all wheel drive in the turbo S. I prefer driving my base Carrera on the street vs the turbo S.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

why? curious to know.

i wouldn't drive a 911 if i had to drive the carrera. zzzzzzzz
Old 10-20-2011, 10:43 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

I have a hard time choosing a all motor car vs a turbo for street use.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:40 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a lot of miles in 7GT2 and 7.2 Turbo (not S). Compared to GT2, the Turbo rides smoother, is quieter, and has slightly more detached inputs (steering, throttle, brake). The Turbo's power comes on more gradually with less perceived lag. GT2 feels more frenetic, does a better job relaying what's going on between the tires and the ground.

On the street, there's no question I'd prefer the Turbo because of its added refinements. Both cars are plenty fast, although it's the 2 that feels like it's more on the limit of adhesion when it puts the power down.

I get what you mean about preferring to drive a base Carrera as opposed to a Turbo on the street: lower profile, less parking liability, no boost surprises. The 2 is great if you want a nutso car to drive on the street and track, but its boost patterns are an added challenge that a 3 wouldn't present.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:52 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

The halfway house — and sweet spot —*is the "plain" 997-1 GT2. Great ride, epic power, plenty of involvement. Also, a great buy right now.

The fact I'd rather have one than a GT2 RS would make it a no-brainer for me. Only thing is those tires in the rain. Other than that, I think you could drive one daily more comfortably than a GT3.

pete
Old 10-21-2011, 03:15 PM
avader906
Instructor

Turbo - nice to have AWD for real world driving. You can always upgrade to and beyond GT2 RS both in suspension and power (and get rid of AWD if necessary) down the road.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:37 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Just sold my 2RS and own a 3RS and 4.0.
A 2RS is perfectly manageable as long you know that you will never have a lapse in concentration, don't drive much in the rain or cold and that you will always respect it as one would a sleeping pit bull.

I have not owned but have driven Turbo's and Turbo S and personally consider them to be the best all-purpose, all-weather super car in the world.

If you enjoy high reward along with high risk taking the 2RS is for you. If you simply want to go mind blowingly fast anytime and anywhere, Turbo would be a fine choice.
son of a....errrgh, jealousy
Old 10-24-2011, 06:53 AM
hesperus
Racer

depends how confident you are in your skills and how brave (or stupid). was with a friend over the weekend who has both a 2RS and Turbo S PDK. he's a careful driver and not particularly experienced, and he says that he can go much faster in the TT-S than the GT2. no brainer combination of PDK tranny, AWD security and more compliant suspension.

i don't own either but have driven both. as a daily driver in heavy city traffic, there's obviously also no comparison as the TT-S is a pussycat. the 2RS had the sweetest clutch and shifter interface of any modern car i've driven, but the pedal pressure can be tiring in crawling traffic.

if you're blessed with access to beautifully smooth, open, sweeping roads, then IMO even staying within your limits, you'd be more excited in the 2RS than the TT, even if you were covering ground faster in the latter.

a final consideration is that you already have a 3RS... so the TT may provide you more variety in the stable than a 2RS.

cheers.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:40 PM
turbodickie
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a GT2 RS and have had a GT2 and a plain 997tt. The TT is the best all around car for everyday use. The GT2 is a great car for dry roads and weekend fun. The 2RS is the most fun but can be a handful if you relax at the wheel. The RS will make one throw rocks at all the rest. They are all great rides.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:06 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,083 Likes on 2,865 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
I prefer driving my base Carrera on the street vs the turbo S.
I understand this comment - instantaneous throttle response and RWD can make for a more enjoyable experience on many roads (but not all).

Quick Reply: Turbo S vs GT2 RS for street use