Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Turbo S vs GT2 RS for street use

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:16 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

With all the disposable dollars you have to spend on porsches, go take em to the track learn to drive 'em closer to their limits, find out what they are capable of (and find out what you are capable of). I assure you that you wouldnt be noodling over this decision and you'd be looking for a 2RS immediately.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:41 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Just sold my 2RS and own a 3RS and 4.0.

A 2RS is perfectly manageable as long you know that you will never have a lapse in concentration, don't drive much in the rain or cold and that you will always respect it as one would a sleeping pit bull.

I have not owned but have driven Turbo's and Turbo S and personally consider them to be the best all-purpose, all-weather super car in the world.

If you enjoy high reward along with high risk taking the 2RS is for you. If you simply want to go mind blowingly fast anytime and anywhere, Turbo would be a fine choice.
Savy, I read this a few days ago and bit my lip as I know you are just enjoying waxing lyrical from your enjoyable recent purchases, however......

ALL modern (post 2005) Porsche road cars are total pussycats to drive. Specifically the GT2RS.... My GT2 is a LOT more lively than the RS, the 900+NM comes in with such ferocity at any revs that the flickering TC/PSM light is a fixuture...... but they are not scary cars to drive if you just use the throttle carefully, this post is prompted after last night when my 6 month pregnant GF drove me home (too many for UK laws) the 12 miles in dark, wet,7 degc, twisty conditions. This is with the 890NM clutch in GT2 buckets (yes you guys on the other thread, get over your soft asses, a pregnant girl can get in and out of these seats and they are perfectly comfortable ).......

Some of you guys need to try an older school turbo Porsche with 2WD, laggy 800+NM, 285 road tyres and just an LSD to keep you out of trouble, now that is like a sleeping pitbull
Old 10-27-2011, 09:29 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
(yes you guys on the other thread, get over your soft asses, a pregnant girl can get in and out of these seats and they are perfectly comfortable ).......

Old 10-27-2011, 09:31 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people are just way too scared of GT2's.

I miss mine, and it tried to kill me a few times, but all good
Old 10-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you guys need to try an older school turbo Porsche with 2WD, laggy 800+NM, 285 road tyres and just an LSD to keep you out of trouble, now that is like a sleeping pitbull
exactly (even the 959 (with the 962 motor (different lifters)) is a ***** cat by comparison)

R+C
Old 10-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Totally agree. My friends RUF 930 is literally -exhausting- to drive. Every input takes so much effort.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:18 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Savy, I read this a few days ago and bit my lip as I know you are just enjoying waxing lyrical from your enjoyable recent purchases, however......

ALL modern (post 2005) Porsche road cars are total pussycats to drive. Specifically the GT2RS.... My GT2 is a LOT more lively than the RS, the 900+NM comes in with such ferocity at any revs that the flickering TC/PSM light is a fixuture...... but they are not scary cars to drive if you just use the throttle carefully, this post is prompted after last night when my 6 month pregnant GF drove me home (too many for UK laws) the 12 miles in dark, wet,7 degc, twisty conditions. This is with the 890NM clutch in GT2 buckets (yes you guys on the other thread, get over your soft asses, a pregnant girl can get in and out of these seats and they are perfectly comfortable ).......

A great, differing, viewpoint and I fully respect the observations

Different people can have diverging views, it is good for the community to have varied opinions based upon their own unique backgrounds.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:45 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
A great, differing, viewpoint and I fully respect the observations

Different people can have diverging views, it is good for the community to have varied opinions based upon their own unique backgrounds.
A very magnanimous response - it is appreciated....

To be fair to your original post when I went to make that post this moring I realised that your post was not quite how I had remembered it and is in fact pretty spot on and didn't really warrant my "a pregnant girl can do it" mini tirade...... I thought I would share it anyway as I thought it on topic and amusing
Old 10-27-2011, 02:52 PM
savyboy
Drifting

A very magnanimous response - it is appreciated....

To be fair to your original post when I went to make that post this moring I realised that your post was not quite how I had remembered it and is in fact pretty spot on and didn't really warrant my "a pregnant girl can do it" mini tirade...... I thought I would share it anyway as I thought it on topic and amusing
This weekend a GT3 pal at the track was musing about the joys of the GT2 style Sport Bucket Seats and how great it was (visually) to be a gentleman and assist a skirted lady to enter or exit the seats. Reading your post reminded me of the conversation, and in my sick mind I mentally blanked out "pregnant girl/GT2 seats" and replaced it with "skirted girl/GT2seats" and all was right in my world...lol!

It is all good my friend, no worries!

Old 10-27-2011, 09:51 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

skirted girls soon enough turn into pregnant women - gotta be careful
Old 10-27-2011, 10:08 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

No disrespect, but for me, it was the thought of a 6-month pregnant lady, driving a GT2 that did it
Old 10-28-2011, 10:42 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
For people that own both, can you compare and contrast these cars as street cars. I am not even good enough to really push my 3.8 on the track, so the GT2 RS will be out of the question. Just curious to see if the GT2 RS is manageable for spirited road use.
i had a chance to drive new .2 turbo car with PDK - imho for street it is a truly best car one can have. with pdk there is no turbo lag at all, at least it feels like it when it upshifts. crazy car.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:40 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

since the recent spate of 4.0 landings, it feels as though the 2 rs has just become a classic?

Quick Reply: Turbo S vs GT2 RS for street use