Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2007 GT3RS - does "TC off" really mean off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
This sounds just like the old E46 M3 TC debacle where you turn it off, but then people said that at insane slip angles the ABS still intervenes (although the engine intervention is completely off), which I think is stupid because that causes the car to hook back dramatically after you've already thrown in a bunch of opposite lock. It was ultimately too hard for anyone to ever confirm, and although I drive mine at stupid slip angles all the time, I have a hard time ever noticing any difference despite trying both methods of turning of "OFF" the TC.

So in order to turn that "off", you had to hold the TC button down for 5 seconds or something like that.
I think that is the case with the BMW TC and also the Carerra PSM system, it was/is my understanding that the GT3 systems are totally "off" ... could be wrong...
Old 09-14-2011, 03:48 PM
GT3riis
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100 % sure it´s off..

On this video there are moment´s where for sure you couldn't do that with Tc. On.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:07 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

very off
Old 09-17-2011, 03:20 AM
Mark GT3
Instructor

The valuable lessons here for me are off means off and Rennlist members know best!

Someone suggested PSM does not fully disengage and that a cut out switch is required for it to do so? This combined with revised rear brake pad compounds and the motorsport LSD (which will go in when the 996 Cup gearbox is installed) is the solution to my problem. Thoughts?
Old 09-17-2011, 07:43 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your 997 GT3.mk1 does not have PSM (Porsche Stability Management) - that is a Turbo, C2/4 thing. Your car does come with PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) but you have removed the stock dampers for aftermarket so you no longer have that either. Your Gen 1 997gt3 only has TC (like the CGT) - it is the Gen 2 cars that have SC & TC that can be separated.

There is nothing that has to be done via cutoffs etc.

I will repeat again that the ABS 'street' controller is going to be your issue as you move the car towards the limit of performance. Coming into every single corner (at the limit), you are going to be at the mercy of your ABS and whether it approves of what you are doing. This is not going to be a rotation slip-angle thing but a sensitivity to track surface friction thing - hitting bumps, etc.

The other thing is the LSD - which you mentioned you are changing. Make sure you actually speak to someone that is very knowledgeable about exactly what you are going to be doing / how you like your car to handle, etc. I would highly suggest you call Matt at Guard. You don't want to over LSD your car - you want to get it correct for your suspension, tires and driving style.

If you go down the Motorsport ABS route, there is at least one person who did this years ago who posted up on 6speedonline - he totally transformed his car to wide body race car - spent $$$ - so you may want to contact him - his shop, etc. He posted under the name Grussell and his shop was 911Design I think.

Below is a link from 6speedonline that comes up when you search Grussell in the GT3 forum.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...archid=7051521

Paul
Old 09-17-2011, 07:53 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

find a parking lot and do a couple of donuts.......
Old 09-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Mark GT3
Instructor

Yet again I'm set straight by a Rennlist member!

Thanks 997gt3north

We're pretty good on the mechanical side but the electronics are are still a bit of a mystery to us. I'm with you on the Motorsport ABS especially given my other car... I know Loren at 911 Design and will speak to him at Laguna next month.

The 996 Cup gearbox going into the RS has the Porsche Motorsport LSD. The guys at Rothsport will be able to ensure the LSD is set up correctly.

Unfortunately the car and I are not in the same place very often. The next chance I have to do donuts in the parking lot will be Rennsport Reunion
Old 06-16-2015, 11:35 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Can we revive this thread.

Mine for sure is coming back on during track sessions despite it being turning it off when I start on the session and its 100% talking to the sensors.

What is the other "switch" I could install to permanently shut the system down for checking sensors while driving and TC off? BMW you HAD to remove the yaw sensor or it was always lurking in the background and would occasionally re-engage. My GT3 is doing the exact same thing
Old 06-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Can we revive this thread.

Mine for sure is coming back on during track sessions despite it being turning it off when I start on the session and its 100% talking to the sensors.

What is the other "switch" I could install to permanently shut the system down for checking sensors while driving and TC off? BMW you HAD to remove the yaw sensor or it was always lurking in the background and would occasionally re-engage. My GT3 is doing the exact same thing
I honestly do not think this is the case; its always been my understanding that the TC on the GT3 is totally disabled when TC is "off", unlike PSM or BMW DSC which will intervene when higher limits are exceeded.

I think disconnecting the sensors is a bad idea and will probably only result in ECU fault codes and perhaps also "limp mode" but that's only a guess on
my behalf.

Perhaps you can describe what leads you to your analysis/conclusion?
Old 06-16-2015, 12:37 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

I turn off TC with the button head out onto track

10 min on the track, the dash will beep and TC will turn back on, then TC will beep again and say "TC Failure" and will beep intermittently until I come off the track. Restart car and drive regularly no issues
Old 06-16-2015, 12:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by audipwr1
I turn off TC with the button head out onto track

10 min on the track, the dash will beep and TC will turn back on, then TC will beep again and say "TC Failure" and will beep intermittently until I come off the track. Restart car and drive regularly no issues
I think you have a transient fault my friend ... this is a bug not a feature IMO.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:59 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

TC off is off. You have something else going on causing that to happen. Pull the codes with PIWIS or Durametric. Could be a PASM issue causing this, ABS/wheel speed sensor, maybe the axis sensor, etc.

As an indication when I had a PASM damper fail, the car would get TC Failure notices along with PASM failure notices. The cause was a bad damper.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
TC off is off. You have something else going on causing that to happen. Pull the codes with PIWIS or Durametric. Could be a PASM issue causing this, ABS/wheel speed sensor, maybe the axis sensor, etc.

As an indication when I had a PASM damper fail, the car would get TC Failure notices along with PASM failure notices. The cause was a bad damper.
+1 that was my thinking ...
Old 06-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Ginsu Tim
Intermediate

Yeah it's off.

Originally Posted by BBMGT3
TC on isn't really that on either.
And this. I've probably had at least a half dozen TC failures. The TC doesn't like my Guards Diff and gets really confused.

OP, not sure if this helps, but the 997 (and I think 996) Turbos have TC that is defeatable until the ABS kicks in, then the TC automatically comes back on and you have to turn it off again. which is stupid.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ginsu Tim
Yeah it's off.

And this. I've probably had at least a half dozen TC failures. The TC doesn't like my Guards Diff and gets really confused.

OP, not sure if this helps, but the 997 (and I think 996) Turbos have TC that is defeatable until the ABS kicks in, then the TC automatically comes back on and you have to turn it off again. which is stupid.
I believe that is the case with all PSM cars, but not applicable to the GT3s...

Quick Reply: 2007 GT3RS - does "TC off" really mean off?