Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum-141/)
-   -   Centerlocks - I'm out! ....Hello 5-lug conversion! (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/650583-centerlocks-im-out-hello-5-lug-conversion.html)

sharkster 09-02-2011 04:56 AM

Way to go on this... There are seriously going to be a few bay area folks doing this!

DJN 09-03-2011 04:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone!

SUCCESS!!!!

Ok, you will be very pleased to know that my 5 lug conversion was track tested on September 1st and the car performed perfectly. :D So those who wish to do the conversion can now "have at it" as per post#1 of this thread. Note from a previous post that the labor time for this work is 3 to 4 hours per corner plus a full alignment when complete. Also, for this conversion it does not matter what brake set up you have OEM steel, PCCB, or aftermaket because the wheels carriers remain the same (i.e. you don't have to change them out). Thus, for those who a wondering, the position of the hub face remains the same after the conversion, so similar wheel offsets are used.

Here are a few photos of the completed work for you viewing pleasure. Sorry I didn't have time to blast out to the mountains for a spectacular photo shoot (.....its been a busy week!!! ), so I did my best in my driveway.

The Forgeline 19 inch GA3-R's do look extra sexy in the 5 lug configuration. FYI: If you already have Forgeline wheels in CL, you can have Forgeline build you some new "centers" and you can re-use your rim halves to save some decent $$$ on your "new" 5 lug set of wheels.

Enjoy! :burnout:

Doug N.

PS. Feel free to PM me any questions you may have, I will be happy to help. :bigbye:

DJN 09-03-2011 04:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more shots! :thumbsup:

Cheers!
Doug N.

P.J.S. 09-03-2011 04:41 PM

Very nice - excellent write up as well
I am sure you just sold multiple kits
Car looks great

mobonic 09-03-2011 05:02 PM

Best looking 2010 GT3 I have seen.. wow!!!!

You are making me question my car purchase now...

Are those 18's???

DJN 09-03-2011 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3 (Post 8841458)
Very nice - excellent write up as well
I am sure you just sold multiple kits
Car looks great

Thank you Sir!

Originally Posted by mobonic (Post 8841492)
Best looking 2010 GT3 I have seen.. wow!!!!

You are making me question my car purchase now...

Are those 18's???

Oh no....what did you buy mobonic?

Nope, those are 19's .....They actually look "big" for 3 piece track wheels.

911SLOW 09-03-2011 06:02 PM

Next week Porsche will raise the prices of the aforementioned parts..
And in 3 years will offer it as an option for the next GT series. :)

Doug well done mate! A pioneer!
I am happy that I contributed something small to this project, and I am contemplating making it a sticky just to bug them a bit. I know that they are reading us 24/7. :D

mooty 09-03-2011 06:18 PM

best post on 7 gt3 board EVER.
isn't there some award IB can present ?
say yr supply of Michelin slick blue stickers?

sharkey
if u do this mod on NorCal cars, let me know. I'll come by to see

TRAKCAR 09-03-2011 06:19 PM

Sticky. Do it.

The original price of less then 2K excl. labour still accurate?
How many hours of labour?
Anyone put a conversion kit in a box together yet?

Still happy with my CL's but good to know we are not stuck with them if they prove to be an issue later.

savyboy 09-03-2011 06:31 PM

Doug- Your car looks awesome! I am thrilled this has worked out. A big project, hats off to you for tackling it.

Anyone in N Nevada/NE CA area, I know where this can be done, IM me ;) :thumbup:

24Chromium 09-03-2011 06:32 PM

Wow! You're my hero!!! :cheers:

Polarporsche 09-03-2011 06:37 PM

Well done Doug, hopefully Porsche will listen to their customers and provide options on future models with regards to CL vs 5-lugs.

deputydog95 09-03-2011 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by NJ-GT (Post 8820237)
I had studs in my former 997 GT3 RS. I took out the crappy stuff mooty had there and put better ones, same brand race-studs, but without the bullet type tips which I regret as the bullet type tips are even more convenient.

Buy the 81mm ones.

Here are the dimensions used:

12mm bolted to the hub + 5mm to clear rotor hat + 10mm to clear stock wheels + 20mm to clear the steel lug nut + 20mm on the bullet tip = 67mm.

Right, you should be fine with 71mm ones, but the problem is that CCW, Fikse, HRE use a little more space for the wheel center, JongBloed goes to 15mm, so with 71mm studs and aftermarket wheels you will end up unable to have lug nuts fully threaded on the stud. Sometimes I use spacers to compensate for wider tires or different than stock offsets, you cannot add even a factory 5mm spacer to the 71mm studs.

The 91mm would be fine as well, but they don't have any gains, as they are not long enough to use the BBS Magnesium wheels (lightest wheels made for a 996/997) which use a 35mm center. So, they will stick out more and not give you any benefit.

Aesthetically, you won't notice the 81mm bullet type studs.

Here are the links to CDOC. Check this video. In addition to their instructions, use Red Loctite on the stud thread that bolts to the hub when installing them. You will love having studs.

Buy 25 studs and 25 lug nuts. Keep 5 pairs as spares.

http://store.cdoc.com/track-studswheelstud-1.aspx

http://store.cdoc.com/lugnutsteel.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tudXo...layer_embedded

Rad is spot on with this. I had Apex send me some studs a couple months back. This thread got me motivated to go out and do some testing today.

As you can see, the thickness various from front to rear on both OEM and CCW.

Here are some approximate measurements I got of each wheel from the hub face to the bottom of the bolt hole:

Rear CCW: 41.3 mm
Rear OEM: 52.4 mm

Front CCW: 52.4 mm
Front OEM: 46mm

Here are some photos of the bullet nose 81 and 91mm studs. The 91's fit, but are really long and stick way out. Way too much extra thread on the wheel side.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deputyd...7627586382250/

The only thing I noticed was that the 91's had a couple extra threads on the hub side. Not sure if it makes a difference or not. The 81's have plenty of thread to seat properly. In a perfect world I'd probably prefer the 81's had as many threads on the hub side at the 91's.

I will say that the customer service at Apex is awesome. They sent me three studs (61, 81, 91) at no charge so I could test fit.

As Rad said, the 81 seems to work best. You could probably get away with a 71, but I like the idea 4-6 threads showing after the nut is torqued down.

Turn3 Autosport 09-03-2011 09:42 PM

Doug,

We mentioned in a previous post we were looking at a solution that is easier on the wallet for folks looking to do this conversion. We can't do any better than purchasing the factory parts at Suncoast, but we can certainly help with wheels.....

We have worked with Forgeline to be able to offer special conversion wheel pricing in both 18 and 19 inch. Like you said, we can also help out folks who currently have Forgeline wheel and need new centers. Our Forgeline pricing will make the conversion a little easier and you will be getting an excellent high quality set of wheels! Specials in both 18 and 19 inch!

PM or email us if any of you are interested in a set of wheels! We will do our absolute best to ensure you are satisfied!

Cheers

rlips 09-03-2011 10:25 PM

Here is a strange question: Would OEM 997.1 GT3 wheels have the right offset to fit this conversion?