Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Centerlocks - I'm out! ....Hello 5-lug conversion!

Old 10-06-2012, 04:30 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ DJN should deserve the credit. he's the pioneer, i am the copy cat.
Totally agree mate, DJN is the star with this one! Just glad you were able to get this info to Franck. Didn't want to try and get it wrong considering I haven't done it myself
Old 10-06-2012, 04:14 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
The irony is that Porsche broke every single one of their commandments 2 years ago in the NBRG 24 hour when they showed us how great these gen 2 cars are with their RS entry... They ran aftermarket BBS wheels in 18s with slicks, they rattled wheels on and off and did F%k all greasing procedures and got by just fine...
Well not really. If you figure in that after a race like this you fully replace hubs and nuts then it makes sense to abuse them like that.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:56 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SOS, two years after the CL's have been out and all the instructions and warnings. The shops don't care, and the owners don't care (splines not engaged).

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...dv-wb-win.html

Last edited by savyboy; 10-08-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 10-08-2012, 01:02 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

^ LOL. Like ADV is a name that any serious track guy is gonna use.

The ironic thing is, CL will probably work on an abonination like that, 20" and boneheaded offsets (read: reduced thread bite) notwithstanding. So far the only catastrophic failures have been associated with track used cars subject to frequent wheel changes. How often do you think that franken-20" is gonna swap wheels?
Old 10-08-2012, 02:21 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 883 Likes on 334 Posts

I'm getting a little tired of being one of Porsche's center lock misuse good will ambassadors. In the past month alone, I think I have pointed out 4 cars with incorrectly installed wheels most of which came from dealer service centers. Each time, I politely walk the owner (if interested) through the proper techniques based on Porsche's service bulletin. 50% of the time, the owners think I'm some **** freak. That is, until they look up the picture of one of the catastrophic failures.

One dealer service tech went so far as to correct me and tell me that a partially pushed in pin was perfectly fine. I emailed him Porsche's own insert showing the proper flush orientation. It was followed my a massive "oh ****!" moment and a promise that all techs would be instructed on the proper methods. Too little too late IMHO.

I try to look out for my fellow car enthusiasts as I hope someone would do the same for me if I was a typical cars n coffee drover. Just getting tired of it and of the myriad of other problems that go along with these cars. No car is perfect but I would prefer to deal with the type of idiosyncracies that won't kill me or require me to fix things on my own dime which should have been at the factory. /rant
Old 10-08-2012, 02:32 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

As I recently told Chris, when my car recently came back from dealer, 3 or 4 center splines were not engaged.

And damn did they put those little "RS" center caps on tight! I don't know how they got them on so tight, but I bent each one trying to get it off. I never use them actually - just put them on to make dealer happy.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:58 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I'm getting a little tired of being one of Porsche's center lock misuse good will ambassadors. In the past month alone, I think I have pointed out 4 cars with incorrectly installed wheels most of which came from dealer service centers. Each time, I politely walk the owner (if interested) through the proper techniques based on Porsche's service bulletin. 50% of the time, the owners think I'm some **** freak. That is, until they look up the picture of one of the catastrophic failures.

One dealer service tech went so far as to correct me and tell me that a partially pushed in pin was perfectly fine. I emailed him Porsche's own insert showing the proper flush orientation. It was followed my a massive "oh ****!" moment and a promise that all techs would be instructed on the proper methods. Too little too late IMHO.

I try to look out for my fellow car enthusiasts as I hope someone would do the same for me if I was a typical cars n coffee drover. Just getting tired of it and of the myriad of other problems that go along with these cars. No car is perfect but I would prefer to deal with the type of idiosyncracies that won't kill me or require me to fix things on my own dime which should have been at the factory. /rant
Well said. My experience mirrors yours and I feel exactly the same.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:28 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
SOS, two years after the CL's have been out and all the instructions and warnings. The shops don't care, and the owners don't care (splines not engaged).

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...dv-wb-win.html
Savy, I believe that people need to quickly learn that the old saying " you snooze, you lose! (a wheel... )" applies to the CL system and if they aren't interested in learning how to live with and use the system correctly, then maybe its time to change car or pony up for the 5 lug conversion...
Old 10-09-2012, 09:16 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Acccording to PCA, a recall has been initiated:

http://strongmail.multiview.com/trac...=50743d7ad3b8b

This is the link that came in my email, but it does not talk about the CL specifically. One needs to go through the steps and input year, model number etc.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:18 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 883 Likes on 334 Posts

It's the one that was issued last year where they changed the nuts and inspected the hubs. Nothing new.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:22 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Chris, I just got the email which stated "Porsche recalls now on www.pca.org - centerlock wheel recall issued by Porsche."
Old 10-09-2012, 09:23 PM
medpilot105
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to the link. Still looks like AB01 as far as I can tell. If so, then this is not a recent recall or campaign.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:33 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Chris, I just got the email which stated "Porsche recalls now on www.pca.org - centerlock wheel recall issued by Porsche."
Nothing new. Only Porsche recall is dated JUN 10, 2011.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm
Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

My bad :-( Having just been a lurker on the issue and not having CL's and just getting the email from PCA I thought it was timely.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:59 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF

Best one I heard was:

"no need to mess around with those splines. They will pop into place automatically when driving"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Centerlocks - I'm out! ....Hello 5-lug conversion!