Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Centerlocks - I'm out! ....Hello 5-lug conversion!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 07:29 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't see why everyone isn't doing this. "If" I buy a .2, which is not likely, this would be my first mod.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:37 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I don't see why everyone isn't doing this. "If" I buy a .2, which is not likely, this would be my first mod.
It's very expensive to change...I looked into it since I'm about to buy new track wheels....$2400 in parts, $6000 in wheels going the cheap OZ route for streets and track, $1700 in labor.....add it up!
Old 07-26-2012, 05:42 PM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Mdrums,

Remember to subtract the proceeds from selling your existing used CL wheel set(s)......

......then you will be happier!

Then you can Rock'n roll all night (....and party everyday! )!

Cheers!
Doug N.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:04 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
It's very expensive to change...I looked into it since I'm about to buy new track wheels....$2400 in parts, $6000 in wheels going the cheap OZ route for streets and track, $1700 in labor.....add it up!
I did. And I would still do it. It's not like you're going to keep the CL wheels in your garage... You can sell not only one set, but your second set too and put that towards the purchase.

Originally Posted by DJN
Mdrums,

Remember to subtract the proceeds from selling your existing used CL wheel set(s)......

Cheers!
Doug N.
What Doug said. I will NEVER own of these cars with centerlocks. At least with the current design.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:11 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by DJN
Mdrums,

Cheers!
Doug N.
I can't find anyone that wants to buy my center locks. I've advertised them and talked to some but they are scared of them from reading all the bad press about center locks on the internet.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:15 AM
echere88
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If all your guys convert the CL, there will be lots of CLs for sale....Supply >>>> Demand....I think the price will be pretty low.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:07 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Begrudgingly Agreed. I'm going to stick w/ CL, but only because of the cost to convert to 5-lug. $1,600 in parts (Suncoast) + ~$1,200 labor + $5k wheels + tax, and your lookin' at ~$8,500. I want to get a second set of wheels for track which is really not a factor here (can choose CL or 5-lug pattern) but that's another $5k for wheels / $2k for tires. So all said and done to get a second set of wheels if I go 5-lug conversion: $15.5k. That's more than I'm willing to spend.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:35 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

Forgot to add -- for those sticking w/ CL -- found a good deal on a torque multiplier: Armstrong 64-830 for $395 / in stock.

http://www.wylaco.com/Armstrong-64-8...50-Ft-lb-64830
Old 07-27-2012, 09:57 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by rja
Begrudgingly Agreed. I'm going to stick w/ CL, but only because of the cost to convert to 5-lug. $1,600 in parts (Suncoast) + ~$1,200 labor + $5k wheels + tax, and your lookin' at ~$8,500. I want to get a second set of wheels for track which is really not a factor here (can choose CL or 5-lug pattern) but that's another $5k for wheels / $2k for tires. So all said and done to get a second set of wheels if I go 5-lug conversion: $15.5k. That's more than I'm willing to spend.
Yep...totally agree...this conversion is not as easy and inexpensive as some think.

I believe that the small amount of center lock failures have been user error. However with that said I WILL NOT buy another Porsche with center locks. If Porsche puts center locks on the new GT3 based cars and in a year or so I'm going to buy a new car I will switch brands no problem...I'm not married to the Porsche brand.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:22 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rja
You can't figure in a second set of wheels/tires as part of the conversion. That's just silly. And you're not figuring in the money you would recoup by selling any current center lock wheels you own. Your number is way over inflated. Not to mention, are you running Michelin slicks??? What track tires cost $2k a set? And a set of nice 18" CCW track wheels will run under $3k.

You have about $3k to do the conversion. Plus the delta between the sale of your stock wheels and a nice set of street wheels. So really you're looking at about $5k. And you'd not only have 5 lug, but you'd also have a bad *** set of street wheels.

You guys are nuts for not doing it. Especially the track guys. Looks like such a pain in the *** watching you people in the pits monkey with these things. Regardless of the safety, I would do it for the pure convenience.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:17 PM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95

You guys are nuts for not doing it. Especially the track guys. Looks like such a pain in the *** watching you people in the pits monkey with these things. Regardless of the safety, I would do it for the pure convenience.
This ^ !

I did it for it convenience first, safety second (I never had a technical problem with my CL system) .....although, I never did like them to begin with.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Carbon Revolution Wheels
Former Vendor

Hi Guys,

I am a new sponsor and we are building full one piece carbon fiber wheels for the GT3 in 5x130 but I have been receiving a lot of request for the CL my question is out of the majority of Porsche owners with CL how many will convert and how many really want CL?

For our company the CL will require a complete new testing and validation process so I am trying to guage the overall market for CL.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated and you can contact me direct at bill.koenig@carbonrev.com

BTW I own a 997.1 GT3 and I have had two 996 GT3's so I understand the weekend track routine and convenience of the 5 lug system.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Best regards,

Bill Koenig
Director of Sales & Marketing Carbon Revolution
www.carbonrev.com
Old 07-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts
Default despite...

the many shortcomings I will stick with CL 19" ... currently have HRE P40CL mounted.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:24 PM
icatto
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Carbon Revolution Wheels
Hi Guys,

I am a new sponsor and we are building full one piece carbon fiber wheels for the GT3 in 5x130 but I have been receiving a lot of request for the CL my question is out of the majority of Porsche owners with CL how many will convert and how many really want CL?

For our company the CL will require a complete new testing and validation process so I am trying to guage the overall market for CL.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated and you can contact me direct at bill.koenig@carbonrev.com

BTW I own a 997.1 GT3 and I have had two 996 GT3's so I understand the weekend track routine and convenience of the 5 lug system.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Best regards,

Bill Koenig
Director of Sales & Marketing Carbon Revolution
www.carbonrev.com
Out of all of the 2010+ GT3s that I's seen this year, at DE and AX, I have only seen 1 conversion. People are obviously doing the conversion, but IMHO it does not represent a significant percentage of overall owners.(Even I dislike my CL, but I will keep them.)
If you are making a new wheel for the CL, consider producing an 18" for those who track.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:03 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

You can't figure in a second set of wheels/tires as part of the conversion.
Whoa there Andrew. You're not reading my post, just reacting to parts of it I think. Yes, I totally agree factoring in a second wheels is not relevant to a 5-lug conversion. This is exactly my point when I say “… not a factor here”.

Yes, if in isolation and no other projects or parts -- of course -- the conversion would be cost of parts + labor + tax + cost for replacement wheels (more like $4k for the wheels that I’d want).

However, in weighing in cost of a 5-lug conversion w/ the cost of second set wheels and tires, I'm looking at the total amount of money spent (i.e., budgeting which I hardly think is silly). So, for me, it comes down to 5-lug conversion or second set of wheels + tires. Would love to do both, but the $$$ figure starts to get into stupid territory for me.

Quick Reply: Centerlocks - I'm out! ....Hello 5-lug conversion!