aftermarket warranty - anybody have one? >>

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 04:48 PM
andrewgt3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default aftermarket warranty - anybody have one? >>

Need some advice.

EasyCare is offering me a 4yr/50kmile bumper-bumper for ~$5200 ($500 deductible)

The car is an '07 with 17500 miles on it.

I've never purchased an aftermarket warranty before, nor do I like the idea (I usually work on my own cars), but I don't know a ton mechanically about p-cars and don't want the GT3 to be my guinea pig.

I can also purchase their powertrain only product (same terms) for ~$3000

whatwouldrennlistdo?

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you tried getting a quote thru your local porsche dealer(s)? $5200 is definitely on the high side esp for a lower mileage 911.

i was quoted $3500, but then mine's still under warranty. similar terms save for a $100 deduct.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:50 PM
David Schacht
Instructor

I looked in to an aftermarket warranty as an option compared to the CPO route. I was quoted $3500, $100 deductable for 7 years 75,000 miles. This was a service offered through a local credit union. I was interested in protecting against engine and transmission failure only. I like the seven year coverage as we don't put many miles on these cars.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:56 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Not all aftermarket warranties are the same just like the terms. These companies have the data to support their pricing which in turn means they've analyzed their exposure to risk. So a $3500/$100/7/75K doesn't make it automatically better than the $5200/X/X/X is what I'm trying to say. You need to unpack all the details.

I know that EZ care has a good rep. Fidelity is good, too, and the one that my local dealer sells. I've a number of positive customer testimonies about these two companies. Beyond this, wild, wild West.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:04 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fidelity
7yr/70k (from date of warranty purchase)
$100 deductible
No inspection required if purchased while car is under factory warranty
Redeemable anywhere you would consider taking a car like this

Paid a touch over $4k for it
Have claimed $2200 so far without any trouble

I think it was the "platinum" warranty - which is bumper to bumper except wear items, upholstery, door seals, and stuff like that.

No brainer IMHO
Old 08-17-2011, 07:05 PM
andrewgt3
Racer

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
have you tried getting a quote thru your local porsche dealer(s)? $5200 is definitely on the high side esp for a lower mileage 911.

i was quoted $3500, but then mine's still under warranty. similar terms save for a $100 deduct.
They would not recommend any warranties, nor can I CPO the car as it was a private sale (this is what I was told at the dealer and on the phone to Porsche cust. service).
Old 08-17-2011, 07:08 PM
andrewgt3
Racer

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
Fidelity
$100 deductible

I think it was the "platinum" warranty - which is bumper to bumper except wear items, upholstery, door seals, and stuff like that.

No brainer IMHO
thanks - I will give fidelity a call tomorrow. I doubt I will get such pricing/terms as my car is out of warranty. is this their site?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:58 PM
MGR-GT3
Rennlist Member

I have Easy Care Total Care Option. $250 deductible. 3 yrs/75,000 miles. '07 GT3 with 4,700 miles at signing (March 2011). Live in Phoenix, AZ (not sure if that matters). Cost: $4,201.

I had a nasty nail in my LR tire about a month ago. it was a MPSC that I had just purchased a couple of months ealier. Had it replaced at no cost including mounting and balancing with no issues. Better yet, the deductible did not apply to tire damage. So far, I'm happy with them.

MGR
Old 08-17-2011, 11:02 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andrewgt3
thanks - I will give fidelity a call tomorrow. I doubt I will get such pricing/terms as my car is out of warranty. is this their site?
I think that's the one...
Bought it from local Porsche dealer
Old 12-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
Fidelity
$100 deductible

No brainer IMHO
Just bought the same Fidelity warranty through my local Porsche dealer. I was laughing a bit when I was thinking about telling my gf that I bought a car warranty as a x-mas gift to myself. Dealer said there's quite a price jump if buying @ 10K+ miles. I'm under that mileage and still under factory warranty.

7yr/70K (miles are cumulative whereas the # of years starts date of warranty purchase)

$100 deductible

Platinum level

$3300 + tax

I figured it's pretty good insurance and may make it easier to sell if and when I decide to sell. You can get your money back, pro-rated, if you decide to cancel coverage.

Thanks, gents!

Last edited by Aerokitted; 12-22-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:06 PM
BravoProtection
8th Gear

I just purchased a 2007 GT3 with 20k on it. The car I was looking at prior was a 2008 GT3 with 22k on it. The dealership offered me the same aftermarket warranty. After some investigating some of my close Porsche guys told me that if the car has seen the track its probably not a good idea to buy the warranty. Its going to work for the small stuff but anything major and the warranty company will want to inspect the damaged parts prior to repair. The way I was told this warranty would work is if the car has seen track use the company could deny your claim. They will check for over revs, short shift kits, half and full cages, grooved rotors, etc. The reality of this is a GT3 is a track car and not many of them haven't been out to stretch there legs if you know what i mean. So its a total gamble. If you know someone at the dealership who will help push the warranty work through its probably a ok buy. NO WAY for $5200. Thats a $3500 warranty tops. And the dealership is still going to make $500. Be careful and have a pre purchase inspection done. Im glad I did turns out the 2008 I was looking at was raced alot and if I would have purchased that warranty I could have just placed $3500 on RED and spun the wheel. If your looking to buy just the warranty there is options. Call the major Porsche dealers in the big city markets. Ie Chicago, LA they will point you in the right direction.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Originally Posted by BravoProtection
I just purchased a 2007 GT3 with 20k on it. The car I was looking at prior was a 2008 GT3 with 22k on it. The dealership offered me the same aftermarket warranty. After some investigating some of my close Porsche guys told me that if the car has seen the track its probably not a good idea to buy the warranty. Its going to work for the small stuff but anything major and the warranty company will want to inspect the damaged parts prior to repair. The way I was told this warranty would work is if the car has seen track use the company could deny your claim. They will check for over revs, short shift kits, half and full cages, grooved rotors, etc. The reality of this is a GT3 is a track car and not many of them haven't been out to stretch there legs if you know what i mean. So its a total gamble. If you know someone at the dealership who will help push the warranty work through its probably a ok buy. NO WAY for $5200. Thats a $3500 warranty tops. And the dealership is still going to make $500. Be careful and have a pre purchase inspection done. Im glad I did turns out the 2008 I was looking at was raced alot and if I would have purchased that warranty I could have just placed $3500 on RED and spun the wheel. If your looking to buy just the warranty there is options. Call the major Porsche dealers in the big city markets. Ie Chicago, LA they will point you in the right direction.
not all warranty companies are created equal

porsche can and has denied tracked and/or modified 911s under factory warranty

ymmv
Old 02-29-2012, 12:01 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just tried to get a fidelity warranty through my dealer for my RS and they said that fidelity does not cover Gt3's and RS's....and they could not get me a warranty.

WTF?
Old 02-29-2012, 12:04 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Call Megan Kilcup at barrier Porsche in Bellevue, WA

I bought mine from her

Unless they stopped covering them after I bought mine
Old 02-29-2012, 12:41 AM
MSRPorsche
Intermediate

Same experience as Mobonic. Went to the dealership, completed the paperwork, wrote the check, then had Fidelity say "no thanks, we don't cover the GT cars". Dealer was surprised by the action and refunded the cost.

Quick Reply: aftermarket warranty - anybody have one? >>