Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 RS.2 on Slicks

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 04:56 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Do you know what tyres and sizes he uses and where he gets them from? I didn't think you could get slicks in a 19 yet...
It is an mk1 which runs in non-slick config 235/19 front and 305/19 rears. Your car has bigger tires so I don't know if this is of any help. Also, we are located in Belgium so I can't really give you any decent address where you live. I guess you need to check with your local Michelin supplier. If the guy can deliver you cups he should be able to get you their slicks too.

I'll ask him about the exact dimensions he uses (since slicks use a different system of measuring sizes) and post them here.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:59 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
It is an mk1 which runs in non-slick config 235/19 front and 305/19 rears. Your car has bigger tires so I don't know if this is of any help. Also, we are located in Belgium so I can't really give you any decent address where you live. I guess you need to check with your local Michelin supplier. If the guy can deliver you cups he should be able to get you their slicks too.

I'll ask him about the exact dimensions he uses (since slicks use a different system of measuring sizes) and post them here.
I have a 997.2 gt3 (non RS) which uses the exact sizes you've quoted above. If you can find out the sizes your friend uses, I will definitely ask the Michelin supplier here as their website only lists 18s...
Old 08-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 300 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
The sounds those cup cars make never gets old!

Not having ever driven a cup car, I had a question about your hands. They move, a lot. Is it because of the car itself or your driving style? I'm just a DE guy so I apologize for the dumb question ahead of time.
Hi Andrew,

They do have a nice sound... the only problem is, you don't really get to enjoy it with a helmet on.

Regarding the wheel action, most of the time you just have to rag the hell out of the car!!

Below is a video of Craig Baird 2 times Australian Carrera Cup Champ. As you can see he works the wheel in a similar way, albeit better than me.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
nice video! your method/line in turn 2 is awesome, turn 1 need to hang to the right a little longer on the main straight and turn in a touch later, apexing a bit further up to get more exit.
Yep that was my first race there and I was still getting used to the track.

The hard thing was that we normally do 3 prac sessions then qualifying, this particular weekend we only had 1 practice and then Quali!

I qualified 15th out of 19 Cars. Nearly everyone had raced there before.

Race one got up to 9th and finished 9th.

Race two got to 5th with one lap to go and locked a rear wheel, Finsihed 11th.

Race three Started last because I had to take a spare tire over my bank!! Weekend FINISHED!!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
A friend of mine runs 19" Michelin slicks on this GT3RS (mk1) on standard size wheels and stock suspension and is very happy with it. You should get a good alignment done for running with slicks as they can use a lot more camber.
Do you know what tyres and sizes he uses and where he gets them from? I didn't think you could get slicks in a 19 yet...
I have a 997.2 gt3 (non RS) which uses the exact sizes you've quoted above. If you can find out the sizes your friend uses, I will definitely ask the Michelin supplier here as their website only lists 18s...
Thanks Guys,

I will ask our Michellin Cup Supplier if they can sort tyres for us.

Stay tuned
Old 08-15-2011, 08:31 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

PS - Car is going to Porsche for Recall on Thursday!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:14 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Condor Man

Below is a video of Craig Baird 2 times Australian Carrera Cup Champ. As you can see he works the wheel in a similar way, albeit better than me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lixztHx3Mi0
That was crazy! Nothing but walls and no where to go.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:26 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

craig baird is unreal. i 'think' he is the most winning-est cup driver ever?
i saw him take t1 at the creek in a 997 cup at a rate i've never seen anybody take. i was sitting in marshall's box and will never forget it.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:04 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Condor Man
PS - Car is going to Porsche for Recall on Thursday!
Good stuff Aaron! Hopefully yours ends up being nothing more than replacement CL bolts... in, out, done!!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:35 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That was crazy! Nothing but walls and no where to go.
On the subject of insane Cup-Car drivers...

Old 08-15-2011, 04:41 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do slicks heat cycle out much quicker than Hoosiers/etc ?
Old 08-15-2011, 05:18 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not having ever driven a cup car, I had a question about your hands. They move, a lot. Is it because of the car itself or your driving style? I'm just a DE guy so I apologize for the dumb question ahead of time.
There is a huge difference between driving a street porsche and a race car porsche... everything is more on edge and every bump in the road is transfered to the wheel...

As a car gets stiffer, it reacts more quickly (good or bad) so it need to be constantly tweaked as its driven on the edge.

its all about small corrections and anticipating corrections.... Pat Long is one of the best at this).

I was amazed at the amount of bump steer and movement in my street car as it transformed into a race car.. even my buddy that drove it commented on how much of a handful it was to drive even compared to the cup.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Do slicks heat cycle out much quicker than Hoosiers/etc ?
It depends who you ask!! I find that if slicks drop off after 4 laps by 1 second then if you look after them they will be good for 40+ Laps.

You can continue to use them until they become really low grip which is kind of fun if you are not racing....

I got them down to the canvass once which certainly meant that I got my use out of them!!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mobonic
As a car gets stiffer, it reacts more quickly (good or bad) so it need to be constantly tweaked as its driven on the edge.

its all about small corrections and anticipating corrections....
Agreed!!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

I spoke with the Michelin guys today and they do 18's & 19's in Slicks - Albeit the 19's have less choice to run with.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS.2 on Slicks