Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Buyer Beware- Purchasing wheels from the wrong people can sour your GT3 experience...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Forgedwheeler
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You probably didn't expect to hear from me, but here goes.
I have been in the forged wheel business a long time, and always try to keep my word.
I offered the Tech1 line for sale here but was dependent on my Italian supplier, who also makes wheels for us for Techart, Brabus, Gemballa, etc.

I tried very hard to be a good supplier and communicate effectively with my customers. Unfortunately, I was left high and dry by my Italian supplier.
Savyboy received the first set of Centerlocks, and there was a problem with machining on the rears.
For the record, I was able to obtain a FREE replacement set of rear wheels for Savyboy.
911ROX from Australia not only received a full 100% COMPLETE refund, I paid him an additional $1000 for the currency devaluation, reimbursed him $600 for the JWL marking AND let him keep the wheels. He also promised not to trash me on the forums, oh well.
No one has ever asked for a refund and not received it immediately. Many were offered a refund and elected to wait.
I apologize to all who have been inconvenienced. This has been a painful lesson for me as well.
In the future, I will only offer wheels when I have inventory in hand.

Mike Burroughs
Old 06-21-2011, 03:10 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

so, are you going to have the wheels in stock now? I'd still like the 18"
Old 06-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Forgedwheeler
Intermediate

You can contact me about availability.
Since I am not a sponsor on Rennlist, I really can't engage in commerce.
I don't want to get banned.

Mike
mike@forgedalloysusa.com

Originally Posted by 9972RS
so, are you going to have the wheels in stock now? I'd still like the 18"

Last edited by Forgedwheeler; 06-21-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:44 PM
PNUT
Instructor

so mike, i have had the exact same experience of extended delays, wrong offsets on the front wheels and when you returned them with the inside lip machined was promised 2 weeks for proper offset replacements, that was at least two months ago. where are my wheels?

i purchased the wheels in early nov of 2010, and now it is june 21 of 2011 and still waiting for proper wheels. not a good way of doing business.

alan smith
Old 06-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Forgedwheeler
Intermediate

Alan,

I had to start over with a new supplier. I won't have the wheels till next month.
You may have an immediate refund if you prefer. This has been a standing offer.
FYI, I talk to your dealer twice weekly.

Mike

Originally Posted by PNUT
so mike, i have had the exact same experience of extended delays, wrong offsets on the front wheels and when you returned them with the inside lip machined was promised 2 weeks for proper offset replacements, that was at least two months ago. where are my wheels?

i purchased the wheels in early nov of 2010, and now it is june 21 of 2011 and still waiting for proper wheels. not a good way of doing business.

alan smith
Old 06-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

so who is at fault here. forged alloys or the manufacturer? since these are all drop shipped. I would suspect 2elle engineering in Italy
I don't think it's the engineering (OEM) company at fault; it's the vendor (the "customer facing" entity) at fault for simply failing to deliver as promised. The vendor set expectations of timely fulfillment of the order. It's a matter of setting expectations and delivering on promises. If the OEM set expectations, then they're at fault, too. What I read here (and I what I've heard from other people trying to buy from this vendor) leaves no doubt that the vendor is at fault. As "911rox" points out -- there were many opportunities for the vendor to admit failure, withdraw the sale and leave the customer to find a solution elsewhere -- not a welcome prospect, but it was the practical reality of the deal having gone bad. The other issues of delivering a faulty product that simply neglected to meet the specifications of the order indicate all kinds of problems between the OEM and the vendor, but at the end of the day, it's the vendor dealing with the customer, the vendor setting expectations and the vendor full-well aware of its failure to deliver as promised. This is not an isolated case. I'm sure this thread will draw out other customers to share their (very similar) trouble, wasted time and needless costs when dealing with this vendor.

If I were to identify any fault with 911rox, it would be that he took far too long and was far too tolerant and patient -- these are strengths and weaknesses of equal good and bad. I think we, as customers, are far too tolerant of the slack bastards out there making a disaster of the auto industry.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:07 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Since some here report the OZ wheels from Italy and Tire Rack also have offset problems how are the HRE center locks that Tire Rack sells? Aren't they around the same price or less than the forged OZ that don't seem to fit these cars?

Any fitment or delivery issues with Forgeline?

Last edited by mdrums; 06-21-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:12 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Forgedwheeler
He also promised not to trash me on the forums, oh well.
I was trying to decided whether to dignify this with an answer, but what they hey', I may as well..

For the record Mike, I did not personally name you and I set the record straight upfront about the fact that you went to some effort (beyond purchase price) to reimburse some of the losses incurred. To trash you would be to rant about all your wrongs without setting the record straight about what you did right... This doesn't excuse the revelation that others have been down the same boat with you yet we're all made to feel like isolated cases and difficult customers.

Furthermore, I never made that promise but in either case have not broken it either- that could be true if I went to all the forums you post on (and that I don't) to make comments. I post regularly here and was providing feedback to guys I share thoughts and advice with on a regular basis.

The issue here is not this thread nor what has been said by myself, it is the way you chose to do business... I did everything I could to make it a thread with glossy photos of my car with new wheels, that wasn't to be....
Old 06-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Forgedwheeler
Intermediate

Chris,
I also paid you an amount that YOU said was acceptable AND let you keep the wheels. If you believe you have honored our closing arrangement then so be it.
I do not.
And, for the record, I offered you a full refund on November 10th. You declined.

I'm not trying to shift any blame about what has happened to anyone else. I accept full responsibility and refunded everyone's money out of my own pocket.
I did all I could to get the wheels that people ordered and tried my best to make their performance dreams a reality. I was promised time and again by my Italian supplier only to be disappointed. It has been a painful lesson.
Despite these setbacks, I remain resolute. I intend to win back people's confidence. I love this business.

And, to those of you that really know me, you know I'm not in this for the money. It is my passion.
I will prevail.

Mike

Originally Posted by 911rox
I was trying to decided whether to dignify this with an answer, but what they hey', I may as well..

For the record Mike, I did not personally name you and I set the record straight upfront about the fact that you went to some effort (beyond purchase price) to reimburse some of the losses incurred. To trash you would be to rant about all your wrongs without setting the record straight about what you did right... This doesn't excuse the revelation that others have been down the same boat with you yet we're all made to feel like isolated cases and difficult customers.

Furthermore, I never made that promise but in either case have not broken it either- that could be true if I went to all the forums you post on (and that I don't) to make comments. I post regularly here and was providing feedback to guys I share thoughts and advice with on a regular basis.

The issue here is not this thread nor what has been said by myself, it is the way you chose to do business... I did everything I could to make it a thread with glossy photos of my car with new wheels, that wasn't to be....
Old 06-21-2011, 06:45 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
If I were to identify any fault with 911rox, it would be that he took far too long and was far too tolerant and patient -- these are strengths and weaknesses of equal good and bad. I think we, as customers, are far too tolerant of the slack bastards out there making a disaster of the auto industry.
Agreed Carrera, but i was between a rock and a hardplate since the currency exchange rate movements (between ordering and getting into strife) meant i'd be out of pocket considerably so I gave the vendor more time to supply what was promised. If not for this complicating factor, I would have requested the refund after the first 3 months....
Old 06-21-2011, 06:47 PM
IRguy
Instructor

I do not have any business experience, but it must be difficult to start a new business which depends on outside supply of certain components. I hope Mike will "prevail" and we will have a dependable source of forged wheels for the track.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:05 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Forgedwheeler
Chris,
I also paid you an amount that YOU said was acceptable AND let you keep the wheels. If you believe you have honored our closing arrangement then so be it.
I do not.
And, for the record, I offered you a full refund on November 10th. You declined.

I'm not trying to shift any blame about what has happened to anyone else. I accept full responsibility and refunded everyone's money out of my own pocket.
I did all I could to get the wheels that people ordered and tried my best to make their performance dreams a reality. I was promised time and again by my Italian supplier only to be disappointed. It has been a painful lesson.
Despite these setbacks, I remain resolute. I intend to win back people's confidence. I love this business.

And, to those of you that really know me, you know I'm not in this for the money. It is my passion.
I will prevail.

Mike
Mike, with the greatest of respect to you because as I have stated a couple of times before, you did go an extra yard to help sort out the mess that remained BUT:

- the amount was accepted because it was better than the first offer of nothing...
- the wheels were left behind because of the considerable cost involved in shipping them back... They are no good to me and will not return the money I am out of pocket as scrap metal...

I'm not interested in a public slanging match but am quite happy to post our last exchanges for people to determine if i promised something that i didn't deliver.

I do hope that things pan out for you and that you find a manufacturer better than the last because your product is quality when done right... Best of luck...
Old 06-21-2011, 07:08 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Mike,

I hope you do know that 2elle engineering is now using CEC as a distributor
Old 06-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Forgedwheeler
Intermediate

Yes, I do.

Mike

Mike,

I hope you do know that 2elle engineering is now using CEC as a distributor

Last edited by Forgedwheeler; 06-22-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

Italian supplier? The website says 'Made in USA.'

Quick Reply: Buyer Beware- Purchasing wheels from the wrong people can sour your GT3 experience...