Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The RGT-8, V8 911...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 12:06 PM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
any chance Porsche uses Ruf as test bed to float ideas?
virtually nil. good relationship or not aside (Ruf have actually just opened an official Porsche service center immediately across the street from the Ruf factory/showroom)... Porsche are a huge company with massive R&D resources at their disposal.

Ruf are a mom & pop shop in comparison. I mean that in a nice way, as i'm a Ruf fanboy and Alois and Estonia are wonderful hosts.

i had a long chat with the Ruf engineer tasked with the electronics of the V8 engine, and was fortunate enough be allowed into their dyno room during a testing session last year. the chap was an ex Formula One engineer and was involved in the original McLaren F1 (road car) project. not once did he suggest ANY input whatsoever from Porsche.

so i highly doubt there's any technical collaboration going on. Ruf are going this on their own.

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
how about a plug and play crate motor? :-)
you can bet on this.

oh, and as has been mentioned/suggested elsewhere... expect twin turbo's on this V8 as well at some point
Old 03-04-2011, 12:44 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hesperus
virtually nil. good relationship or not aside (Ruf have actually just opened an official Porsche service center immediately across the street from the Ruf factory/showroom)... Porsche are a huge company with massive R&D resources at their disposal.

Ruf are a mom & pop shop in comparison. I mean that in a nice way, as i'm a Ruf fanboy and Alois and Estonia are wonderful hosts.

i had a long chat with the Ruf engineer tasked with the electronics of the V8 engine, and was fortunate enough be allowed into their dyno room during a testing session last year. the chap was an ex Formula One engineer and was involved in the original McLaren F1 (road car) project. not once did he suggest ANY input whatsoever from Porsche.

so i highly doubt there's any technical collaboration going on. Ruf are going this on their own.

you can bet on this.

oh, and as has been mentioned/suggested elsewhere... expect twin turbo's on this V8 as well at some point
I was not thinking there is technical collaboration... just more along the lines of floating an idea into the marketplace to gauge reaction... probably unlikely but a v8 911 is fairly revolutionary and I sure some will cringe... Not this guy

crate motors -- YEAH!!!!

What do you think it will take to have Ruf get his act together in the USA?

I thought Ruf Dallas was a very good step in the right direction but apparently that did not work out for whatever reason... I only ask as if there really are going to be crate motor v8s my reservation (besides what I am sure will be a wicked price) is my ability to get work done...

all in all I think this is the proper direction for Porsche as the RSR in currnent form is maxed out and the Lizards need more!!!
Old 03-04-2011, 01:39 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There have been a few 996 LS1 conversions now. 996's and LS1's are both so cheap that you should be able to do a very good build for $40k.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...onversion.html

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...much-done.html

Not for purists, I know, but the LS engine is light, cheap, reliable, and makes great power.

Ruf is obviously a very skilled shop, but a small tuner shop building a new engine from scratch does not inspire confidence.

Porsche needs to give us the Cayenne V8 from the RS Spyder !
Old 03-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Carrara
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love it and the engine sounds classic. RUF really is the best tuner in the world. However, I think a V8 should stick to a tuner 911, not a production 911. A member on Teamspeed saw a 991 mule and counted the amount of pipes under the car, and counted 6, so it's definetly a flat-6 (the 991). Plus, Porsche hasn't indicated any interest in a V8 engined 911, but they have shown a very small amount of interest in a flat 4 911.

Hopefully RUF can further evolve this car and start selling some soon. What a great car. It's be even better with a flat 8 though.

Quick Reply: The RGT-8, V8 911...