Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

McLaren reviews begin

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:46 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts
Default McLaren reviews begin

Evo and Autocar release on monday morning. This came out today.

0-124mph in 8.9s

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mosl...n-MP4-12C.html
Old 02-13-2011, 01:08 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Sooo... its quick? Cant wait to see one in the flesh.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:09 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Apparently the whisper number for its ring time is UNDER 7 mins.

In orange please.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:32 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

They say that " The seven-speed, twinclutch gearbox works like a proper F1 shifter. Hinged around the wheel, you can pull with your right hand or push with the left to change up. "

Is it possible thar McLaren, like Porsche, created redundant paddles? That is, pulling either paddle upshifts and pushing either paddle downshifts.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:19 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
They say that " The seven-speed, twinclutch gearbox works like a proper F1 shifter. Hinged around the wheel, you can pull with your right hand or push with the left to change up. "

Is it possible thar McLaren, like Porsche, created redundant paddles? That is, pulling either paddle upshifts and pushing either paddle downshifts.
Not quite - the paddle assembly has a pivot at the center, so when you pull on one side the other side goes down. If you read closely, it you push the LEFT, it will change up - because it is the same as pulling the right side. If you push the RIGHT, it will change down, like pulling the left side.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,885 Likes on 972 Posts

Looks clinically efficient but it's not doing much for me on the emotional front. I'd still rather have a CGT or, heaven forbid, a 458....
Old 02-13-2011, 11:10 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks quantman, I guess someone's paying attention and staying on top of things
Old 02-13-2011, 11:19 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Looks clinically efficient but it's not doing much for me on the emotional front. I'd still rather have a CGT or, heaven forbid, a 458....
This thing is growing on me. I see that they put so much effort in every component and always revising details for the past months.
And with that price I think you get a lot of car. If I was in the market for a go to Monaco supercar I might, just might.. Black / black silver wheels?

Oh...Bollocks... just remembered it's made in England. : )
Old 02-13-2011, 11:28 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

That air-brake is going to get a lot of use if it pops up at every corner.

So what was said a few months ago? Wasn't it that owners would be forbidden to take this thing to the track for fear of losing all warranty coverage?

Last edited by FFaust; 02-13-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-13-2011, 12:27 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
That air-brake is going to get a lot of use if it pops up at ever corner.

So what was said a few months ago? Wasn't it that owners would be forbidden to take this thing to the track for fear of losing all warranty coverage?
That was a baseless rumor from a hater. Completely unsubstantiated and also ludicrous considering the majority of the marketing for this car has been done by McLaren on tracks. They even offer an option for telemetry and data/video acquisition with track maps that can be downloaded into the car.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:56 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
Not quite - the paddle assembly has a pivot at the center, so when you pull on one side the other side goes down. If you read closely, it you push the LEFT, it will change up - because it is the same as pulling the right side. If you push the RIGHT, it will change down, like pulling the left side.
Got it!

Upshift - Pull Right paddle OR Push Left paddle

Downshift - Push right paddle OR Pull Left paddle

It has a redundant system, not dissimilar from PAG's (directions reversed left/right).

Last edited by ADias; 02-13-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
That air-brake is going to get a lot of use if it pops up at ever corner.

That was a baseless rumor from a hater. Completely unsubstantiated and also ludicrous considering the majority of the marketing for this car has been done by McLaren on tracks. They even offer an option for telemetry and data/video acquisition with track maps that can be downloaded into the car.
Now I remember you. The "super quant" who's not a quant trader. Super duper. So where's the proof that McLaren will cover cars that get tracked? I hope it's real, but I'm afraid the "ludicrosity" is all yours.

I have it from the horse's mouth (speaking with someone at Pebble last year described themselves as being in charge of USA sales) that McLaren will not cover cars that have been on the track. Of course, I would expect them to cover a rear view mirror motor or the hinge on those Lambo doors, but will they cover a crack in that plastic tub or an oil leak or trouble in that gearbox?
Old 02-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

0 - 100mph in 6.1 seconds ... apparently. (Autocar - Steve Cropley)

I'm looking forward to Top Gear tonight.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:52 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Now I remember you. The "super quant" who's not a quant trader. Super duper. So where's the proof that McLaren will cover cars that get tracked? I hope it's real, but I'm afraid the "ludicrosity" is all yours.
An interesting attack coming from someone calling himself "carrera gt" without a carrera gt.

Do you deny being a hater? Every post of yours re: cars that are not 3RS have been exclusively negative. If there was something/anything positive to report on would you even have the intellectual honesty to do so?

Rather than some nameless "head of sales" I will ask Phillip Jones the manager of mclaren greenwich tomorrow and report back.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:16 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,084 Likes on 2,866 Posts

Apparently the whisper number for its ring time is UNDER 7 mins.
That seems highly unlikely. Even on racing slicks, I'd be suspicious. I assume the time you refer to is on the standard road legal tires?

Quick Reply: McLaren reviews begin