Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Sorry... I wasn't there.
My mistake, it was JAMS pic ... I just associate you with the photog contributions around here. Thanks in any case.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
Autocar

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...p4-12c/255434/

Chris Harris

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...2c_review.html

There are some very strong words in these reviews. In fact I don't honestly recall ever reading car reviews that are so intensely positive.
Chris Harris -- "remarkable, ergonomics spectacular, thorough, but a little bit cold to look at, lacking feeling to drive, still a triumph of engineering"

I'm not sure where the engineering is so triumphant (there's really nothing new in the 12C, including the hydraulic bits) but I guess he's on the "greater than the sum of its parts" and all the Brit mags are duty bound to deliver the effusive rhetoric.

This is easily the best photo and color scheme (equivalent to something like Atlas Grey over a dark red leather cabin?)
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2011, 04:06 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 774 Posts

Bland, like the Evora, food and beer

Fantastic car on the road and daily driver no doubt, even the price is right..
It might even beat the GTR's in laptimes ;-)

Kidding aside, I wonder how it feels to go fast without sway bars and LSD..Artificial, sublime?
Could it have a hint of kinda feeling like my old MB; 600HP, 730Lb (and 2000kg, NOT 1300kg) with ABC, lean in the corner, not LSD, but advanced EPS, it is amazing what it will do, specially given its weight and skinny tires, sounds fantastic (If you tilt sunrood) but it feels so boring that you're done in 3 laps, no matter what the laptime is.....

Will it be the thrill ride the competition serves up?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:39 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Some further thoughts from Harris

http://community.evo.co.uk/users/Mon...cLaren-MP4-12C

it appears like these cars are getting too 'good' and in turn that is paradoxically making them less appealing
Old 02-14-2011, 05:59 PM
RAPID
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Certainly a great car. I am surprised at all the controversy and violence in all the forums between the 458 vs 12C supporters. Both great cars if you want to impress your neighbour or business partner. A 3RS or 2RS is however the only option if you want to feel the satisfaction of conquering a track by sheer skills and perseverance. I would however be glad to take any of these as a second car...
Old 02-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Both the 458 and 12C are of a similar ilk i.e. they are both digital as opposed to the GT3 which is analogue (to quote Chris Harris). So far as that goes, it seems that the 12C achieves its objectives better than the 458 but neither can be compared to the GT3 in its present form as the GT3 is a totally different car and, it would appear, the last of a breed.

It takes a great deal more skill/experience to drive a GT3/RS well than either of these cars. I would suggest that both of these cars are strongly influenced by the money available in emerging markets such as India and China where people are not noted for driving ability and where status matters even more than in the west.

Last edited by Sierra Mike; 02-14-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:00 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
... I wonder how it feels to go fast without sway bars and LSD..
What happens if the electrical valving control fails? Will the car lose control and potentially crash?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:39 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Capt Mojo
Both the 458 and 12C are of a similar ilk i.e. they are both digital as opposed to the GT3 which is analogue (to quote Chris Harris). So far as that goes, it seems that the 12C achieves its objectives better than the 458 but neither can be compared to the GT3 in its present form as the GT3 is a totally different car and, it would appear, the last of a breed.

It takes a great deal more skill/experience to drive a GT3/RS well than either of these cars. I would suggest that both of these cars are strongly influenced by the money available in emerging markets such as India and China where people are not noted for driving ability and where status matters even more than in the west.

i agree 1000%

to me they are playstation cars.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting comment by a certain LT following the latest Harris opinion:

It seems to me that the corporate personality of each supercar maker is quite clearly imprinted on their latest car. The McLaren is efficient, fast, cold, and clinical, just like its creators. The 458 is beautiful, fast, and noisy. The SLS is torquey, comfortable, every-day usable. The Huyara is over the top, bespoke-craftsmanship, ultra-exclusive, slightly gaudy. (By the way, if you think that is an unfair assessment of Horacio Pagani's design aesthetic just have a look at the home audio system they offer.) Anyone in this rarified market needs only to match their personality-type to that of the car/manufacturer. The differences in absolute performance are likely far less important.
One could possibly add the form:function relationship of German engineering/culture...
Old 02-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Pistonheads

"And the real killer blow is that while the 12C can be driven rapidly and enjoyed by any driver, at almost any skill level, it also has secrets up its sleeve that only the true expert will want to unleash."

And if you really want no electronic aids:

"And if you look very carefully in the driver's manual - on about page 86, written in very small letters - you'll even find that there's a way to turn all the electronics off. Only then will you discover the full fury of what lurks within this seemingly most clinical of supercars. But be warned; the 12C is raging monster at its core; one that will go from 0-100mph in 6.1sec and throw you sideways far more quickly than you can say its name; and only the bravest, the most skilled, or the most stupid of drivers will want to lift the lid to that particular box."

I think it has greater depth than the press would have been allowed to explore in Portugal. The reality will become apparent once the journalists get to drive the car for an extended period and without supervision. Quite honestly, I can't wait to drive the car.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:20 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Sure sounds like a challenge to me..
Old 02-15-2011, 10:49 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

7 Minutes

Hide yo' RSes, hide yo' f-cars

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/anyth...-the-ring.aspx
Old 02-15-2011, 10:58 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

incredible!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:01 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Can't wait to see the actual tires and boost on the car in the video..
Old 02-15-2011, 11:05 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

i reckon 7:20 for a customer car.

Quick Reply: McLaren reviews begin