I'm watching it now and it's on.*

Last edited by Sierra Mike; 02-13-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: *
Old 02-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
An interesting attack coming from someone calling himself "carrera gt" without a carrera gt.
... that's pretty funny ... hadn't thought of it that way ... but then, no, I still don't ... people come here and grab the name of a car they own or they admire out of the air and that's what they use ... if someone assumed the pseudonym of "'89 5spd" are they professing to be a transaxle? But if someone says "they call me SuperQuant" ... I think that's clear cut.

Do you deny being a hater? Every post of yours re: cars that are not 3RS have been exclusively negative. If there was something/anything positive to report on would you even have the intellectual honesty to do so?
I should deny being labeled with an urban slang word? Srsly?!
As for my criticisms of cars, check and see my criticisms of the GT3 RS and check again to see my praise and appreciation of all kinds of cars that tend to come into this not-so-exclusively-GT2-GT3 forum. As for intellectual honesty, you should check with your therapist on why your thoughts turn to honesty, truth and credibility instead of dealing with facts and what is said and done.

Rather than some nameless "head of sales" I will ask Phillip Jones the manager of mclaren greenwich tomorrow and report back.
If you're in touch with McLaren staffers, I'm sure you can identify the ex-Porsche guy that was on the lawn at Pebble last year, showing the car outside (not in the display tent) who identified himself as in charge of sales and he made no bones about it -- even at their own sponsored events there was question as to whether they'd support the customer once the car is on the track. I'm sure he'll remember his own name; I didn't feel obliged to commit it to memory.

I don't see it as much of a debatable point, since I have little doubt any shrewd businessman (and let's include Ron Dennis in that category for the sake of discussion) would be open to writing blank checks to cover "warranty" claims on dual-clutch gearboxes or cracked tubs once a car is running on the track. And clearly they have the data acq. onboard to know exactly what kind of driving was in play at the moment a "warranty" event occurred.

I think there's some interesting design around that door hinge f'rinstance. And didn't it change for the car to become an open top? I'm sure, if there's a company on the planet, that can get such a complex endeavor right first time, it's McLaren, given time and budget, but that's not to say those with risk at stake in the game will be cavalier about taking on liability over and above the limit required to do profitable business. Will McLaren or Porsche really sell even one more care if they decided every leaky RMS was a no questions asked warranty claim and would any vendor allow the nose of that camel in their tent?
Old 02-13-2011, 04:27 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

If you're in touch with McLaren staffers, I'm sure you can identify the ex-Porsche guy that was on the lawn at Pebble last year, showing the car outside (not in the display tent) who identified himself as in charge of sales and he made no bones about it -- even at their own sponsored events there was question as to whether they'd support the customer once the car is on the track. I'm sure he'll remember his own name; I didn't feel obliged to commit it to memory.

Hater CarreraGT without a CarreraGT
Do you remember if the guy wore a hat?
If yes I think we have the only clear photo in existence.
All of the other time, he was talking on the security mic heads down. : )
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2011, 04:28 PM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

"I'm sure you can identify the ex-Porsche guy that was on the lawn at Pebble last year."

That would be Peter Freiberger.
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt Mojo
They had it in the studio and that was it. Oh well, the press embargo ends at midnight GMT tonight so hopefully there'll be some news.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:18 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
if someone says "they call me SuperQuant" ... I think that's clear cut.
Silly we are even getting in this, but lets see if this is clear cut enough: I started a company that created the first software platform for quant traders and managers. Having no formal training on the topic I taught myself what I needed in financial engineering and the quant process. After a rapid ramp-up of adoption I sold the company to a large player in the industry for cash in the mid 8 figures. To this day it is the best product of its kind for quants. I did this by the age of 32. Am I approved now to use Quant-Whatever-I-Want? One doesn't have to be a trader to be a quant.

More on topic, and calling a truce on the alias-analysis, I guess I don't understand whether you are saying McLaren's track policy is the same or different from their competitors. It appears you are saying that if my gearbox breaks when I am at a DE event that Macca won't cover it. This seems strong.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"One doesn't have to be a trader to be a quant".

Rather true...cf Emanuel Derman, Paul Wilmott, Andrew Lo..to name a few (of many)...
Old 02-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
"One doesn't have to be a trader to be a quant".

Rather true...cf Emanuel Derman, Paul Wilmott, Andrew Lo..to name a few (of many)...
One sure h*ll doesn't need to be a quant to be a trader.
(Notice I left out "successful", to increase the hit ratio.. )
Old 02-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...R-review-2011/

1 minute after midnight!
Old 02-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by superquant
you are saying McLaren's track policy is the same or different from their competitors. It appears you are saying that if my gearbox breaks when I am at a DE event that Macca won't cover it. This seems strong.
I appreciate the conciliatory reply.
I don't know the "policy" (of Porsche or McLaren) but reasonably credible authorities representing each company respectively have said in so many words that a failure of a component that could be considered for warranty coverage without too much ado, would be refused if there was any evidence of the car being on a track at any time.

The earliest examples I can recall were the 996 GT2 PCCBs. I've been cautioned about my cars showing up with evidence of track days (pertaining also to modifications that were not Porsche "approved," so there are gray areas.)

The point of interest would be for McLaren to use this as a differentiator. If they're seriously doing more than just seeing the GT3 driver as a demographic, then they could win hearts and minds by promoting a policy that will not refuse warranty work on cars that come up with cages and harnesses or hours of redline upshifts and threshold braking in the data logs.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:11 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

The times I discussed track warranty coverage with PSDS or PCNA people at Porsche events I was told that they will not cover 'timed' track events. DEs and other non-timed (non-competitive) track events are covered. That is my understanding, but I have not seen it in writing.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

In all the conversations I've had with the factory at Woking and my dealer, McLaren fully expect the car to be used on the track as well as the road in much the same way as a GT3. For McLaren to enforce a policy to exclude warrant work for component failure if the car is tracked would call for track use to be explicitly excluded in the warranty which does not seem to be their intention.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:58 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Bummer... my decision is made. It was very promising until I read the ESP cannot be turned fully off like in the Ferrari... so no real possibility of fun sideways action (That's the whole point of having a 500hp + street car). That's probably why they didnt feel the need to put in a proper LSD. I will be shocked if they dont offer a LSD and fully ESP off as options later off for real track diehards.

Will wait for the 458 Scud or 18months for the GT2RSeses to depreciate...
Old 02-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JAMS
"I'm sure you can identify the ex-Porsche guy that was on the lawn at Pebble last year."

That would be Peter Freiberger.
That looks like the guy. I was there with someone who knew him, so he'll remember, but thanks. Good lord, no privacy on the InterWebz!

Quick Reply: McLaren reviews begin