Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:23 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts
Default GT3 Tire Question

Apparently, my GT3 will go through tires faster than my C4S did. So, I've done some searching on the subject, and from what I can tell:
1. If you run more track than street - I'm probably 60/40, go with the PZero Corsa Sytems with asymmetric rears (N0 on car now) or Sport Cups (N0 or N1)
2. If you run more street, the only N-Spec tires I can find are the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A (N1), Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (N2), Pirelli PZero (N2), and Pirelli PZero Rosso (N1)
...and then I've seen some information on the Pirelli Trofeo, BUT, there doesn't seem to be a N-Spec related tire.

I pretty familiar with all the tires with the exception of the Trofeo. Who's running them and have you been satisfied? ...or do I just stick with the Corsa System's?
Old 01-30-2011, 11:34 PM
Gus F
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go to the track at least 4 - 6 times a year, then maybe the best solution is to buy a dedicated set of wheels and tires for the track, there are many options for tires and wheels on 18" (specially if your car has not Center Lock wheels).
For the street, you can use your factory wheels with Michelin PS2's, they are very good street tires for dry and wet conditions and last longer than Sport Cups or PZero's,
just my $0.02.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:48 PM
Richie18
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if you're looking for street performance your best choices going forward, since the Pzero Corsas are being phased out, are the new Michelin Super Sports, Trofeo, and lastly PS2. If you're looking for budget tires that perform good on the street then Bridgestone RE-11.

The more you plan to track the car the more people will recommend to go with a second set of wheels and an R-compound.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:52 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

question. since you bought your car with about 5k miles, did the dealer put on new tires? i assume it was CPO? btw, the new michelin super sports look like a good compromise for track/street duty.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:21 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I havent tracked these tires yet, but I have a set on my X5 4.8iS. The Continental Extreme Contacts. the Replacement Michilen high performance tire for the car were $500 for ONE rear. The Continental are like $220 a piece for 20" 315's!!!! They look really good. On the X5 they drive really aggressive. The 2006 4.8iS was supposed to be the MX5 before they came up with the current X5 M. Its based on the M5 chasis, so while a truck its still a good vehicle to get some feed back.
If you DONT track a whole lot the tire may be a great alternative to the MPS2 or the Perillis.
for half the price.
Just check them out. The Extreme Contact DWS on my truck are DRY/WET/SNOW.
The DWs would be more for cars, for dry wet.

Just a thought.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:29 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
Apparently, my GT3 will go through tires faster than my C4S did.
Oh, hell yeah!

My initial set lasted all of 4200 miles. They saw only two track days, at the very end of their life. The current (second) set saw 9 track days with most of those freeway miles to/from the track. This set is now completely shot, with about 4k miles on them.

+1 on the advice posted by Gus F!

Old 01-31-2011, 02:14 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better get use to it
Old 01-31-2011, 07:02 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

I've been through the same dilemma. Finally bought another set of wheels and now have a dedicated track set using the OEM wheels with Michelin N1 Cups and for the street, PS2's on 19"GMG WC's.

I've heard the Corsas are good. A friend has 5K miles and at least 4 track days on them with life left in them still. Pretty impressive. They are a tad more expensive than the Cups, but may just be the way to go if you aren't going to buy wheels.

I tried to get the Trofeos but they seem to be pretty hard to come by. Finally gave up and went with the Cup tires which by all accounts are still pretty darn good. I feel comfortable with them.

Bottom line, you won't go wrong with the Cups or the Corsas. The Trofeos are a few hundred bucks cheaper if you can get them but don't know how long they'll last.

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2011, 07:41 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

The Bridgestone RE-11 is an excellent compromise tire. Not N Rated but I am pretty sure the track grip is as good or very close to the OEM Michelin Sport Cups.

They wear a lot better and are much less expensive.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
I've been through the same dilemma. Finally bought another set of wheels and now have a dedicated track set using the OEM wheels with Michelin N1 Cups and for the street, PS2's on 19"GMG WC's.

I've heard the Corsas are good. A friend has 5K miles and at least 4 track days on them with life left in them still. Pretty impressive. They are a tad more expensive than the Cups, but may just be the way to go if you aren't going to buy wheels.

I tried to get the Trofeos but they seem to be pretty hard to come by. Finally gave up and went with the Cup tires which by all accounts are still pretty darn good. I feel comfortable with them.

Bottom line, you won't go wrong with the Cups or the Corsas. The Trofeos are a few hundred bucks cheaper if you can get them but don't know how long they'll last.

Good luck!
I love the Corsas, but they are on their way out and difficult to come by; MPSCs are great as long as you are in the dry or no standing water ...

PS2 is a great tyre, but will be replaced by the better Super Sport starting in April
Old 01-31-2011, 10:26 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Thanks, guys. Based on the info, it is probably best that I just take the dive and second wheel set w/ track tires and go the PS2's or Super Sports for the street.

I have to say that I am intrigued by the Trofeo's. Has anyone tried them? They seem to be difficult to find.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:29 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Bob Woodman Tires has the Trofeo's in stock. I've seen them at Sebring for some DE's and they are very well liked....that is all I know.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:49 PM
kaamacat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just turned 3000mi on the RS this past weekend......fronts still have some good life in them, but the rears are very close to the wear bars. (Such is life)..

....I'm thinking 1000miles at best left on the rears, then debating whether to replace just the rears with new MPSCs, or to switch-out F&R if they do come out with the SuperSport. (I don't DE, just AX the spririted drives...)
Old 02-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by kaamacat
I've just turned 3000mi on the RS this past weekend......fronts still have some good life in them, but the rears are very close to the wear bars. (Such is life)..

....I'm thinking 1000miles at best left on the rears, then debating whether to replace just the rears with new MPSCs, or to switch-out F&R if they do come out with the SuperSport. (I don't DE, just AX the spririted drives...)
I just checked the list of available fitments in MPSS at April Launch, the RS rear fitment is not one of them and I dont have an availability date from Michelin (but I will try and get one)...

Given you only have 1k left on the rears I would say that MPSC is probably the right choice...
Old 02-02-2011, 10:54 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

I think I'm going to go ahead and get set of the Trofeo's on order and have them installed at the PCA Club Race at Road Atlanta in March. The Corsa's should get me through my DE at Roebling in two weeks

Quick Reply: GT3 Tire Question