Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:05 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The factory welds them?
So they have the solution...
No, the factory has its head up it a$$..... I think the teams weld them on the next strip down...
Old 01-29-2011, 12:05 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911rox
No, the factory has its head up it a$$..... I think the teams weld them on the next strip down...
Correct. Or before the first strip down
Old 01-29-2011, 05:45 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarum87
does anyone know what it would take to make porsche issue a recall on this issue? has anyone talked to a lawyer and gotten their perspective? seems like such an obvious safety problem that has occurred on many vehicles. tons of documentation and evidence on the issue. you see toyota making recalls all the time. is it just down to the company and their willingness to turn a blind eye to the issue? is there a regulating body that should be notified?
The trial bar
Old 01-29-2011, 11:06 PM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The NHTSA has opened investigations from more limited complaints than it seems are being volunteered about these fittings. They only respond to issues that can become safety hazards. Rapidly losing coolant on a curve, or ramp, is a concern. No?

NHTSA complaints:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm

If you own a car with the GT1 engine and it has failed this way, give them your VIN. If you won't do it for your own sake, please do it for the rest of us. Otherwise, it looks like we're just mice.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do we know of anyone who has actually suffered the catastrophic failure on the street? I doubt the Feds will be that interested in track issues. BTW, we mostly complain when the government interferes with car design in the name of safety or national policy like fuel mileage. Much as I hate to spend lots of money for a fix which Porsche should do for free, I'm not sure that I want to ask big brother to fix it.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:06 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

There are a number of guys here that have detailed failures on the street in the other coolant threads started... If Porsche are willing to risk customers' assets and safety to save a $ well then maybe the authorities should step in... Afterall they have the greatest GP% in the industry by far and aren't willing to address a serious issue where they know full well that customers are using their product as intended and marketed... "on the track"!!!

Its one thing to deny warranty for track use, its a whole different ball game when you sell something with a design flaw that could lead to catastrophic consequences when used as intended...

Last edited by 911rox; 01-30-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:12 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
Do we know of anyone who has actually suffered the catastrophic failure on the street? I doubt the Feds will be that interested in track issues. BTW, we mostly complain when the government interferes with car design in the name of safety or national policy like fuel mileage. Much as I hate to spend lots of money for a fix which Porsche should do for free, I'm not sure that I want to ask big brother to fix it.
https://rennlist.com/forums/8248246-post59.html and lots more where this came from...
Old 01-31-2011, 11:15 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what do th GT3 Cups do about this issue?

Marty (Engle's mechanic) said he works on cup cars and they're glued. He also said he's only seen them pop a couple times and he just re-epoxyed them.

Having been a "victim" of a coolant life snafu, I really wish Porsche would step up and do some preventative maintenance. It's taken me like 3 DE events before I've just started to forget about my "incident" It's always in the back of my mind though...
Old 02-01-2011, 11:58 PM
dgreen78
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Having also been a victim of the fittings poping out I decided to get the weld in kit that is on Ebay. I had a Porsche dealer replace one of the fittings just to have another pop out months later. I think the only way is to weld them and then you dont have to worry about it any longer!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fAccessories
Old 02-02-2011, 01:56 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dgreen78
Having also been a victim of the fittings poping out I decided to get the weld in kit that is on Ebay. I had a Porsche dealer replace one of the fittings just to have another pop out months later. I think the only way is to weld them and then you dont have to worry about it any longer!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fAccessories
Interesting and I wasn't going to say anything but since you're here I actually followed that ebay link and bought a set to try and look at and paid a certain dgreen78 etc... via paypal which must be you Might want to come clean on that one heh.. But from what I see it's not a complete kit and just for the TT's vs the gt3? Either way I'm interested to look at it. There are different ways to do it and James has been doing it the way we showed since early 06 and never had an issue since.
The following users liked this post:
pirahna (07-23-2022)
Old 02-02-2011, 01:57 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Terry L
Yup I know of 3 folks that it happened to on the street. Actually was happening to TT's before gt3s etc...
Old 02-02-2011, 02:20 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Interesting and I wasn't going to say anything but since you're here I actually followed that ebay link and bought a set to try and look at and paid a certain dgreen78 etc... via paypal which must be you Might want to come clean on that one heh.. But from what I see it's not a complete kit and just for the TT's vs the gt3? Either way I'm interested to look at it. There are different ways to do it and James has been doing it the way we showed since early 06 and never had an issue since.
so not a complete kit for gt3?
confirm please
Old 02-02-2011, 02:24 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
so not a complete kit for gt3?
confirm please
Will do once I get it and from what limited pix I have from dgreen's ebay store thing it seems like it's designed for/from the 996tt. The different cars we've fixed including the 996tt, 997gt2, 997tt and 997.1 and 997.2gt3 had a different number of pipes/fittings and also some other slight differences.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:28 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good lookin out alex - let us know what you find out
I am convinced that welding is the superior 1 and done solution but your experience, which I respect, dictates that your solution has been sucessful to date...
Old 02-02-2011, 08:44 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Isn't there still a big issue welding a cast piece to the extruded fittings?

Quick Reply: GT1 Coolant Pipe Prevention / Fix on 2011 GT3RS @ Shark Werks