Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Selling the 2010 GT3 :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 07:01 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 336 Posts

Just apply good common sense and wait for liquid funds in the account before you do anything. Hope it sells and the transaction goes smoothly for you. FWIW, it's been VERY hard to resist purchasing your car.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
getting nervous about this buyer, email name is Victoria Watkins, like I said discussed about buying for fiancee, they called to say they deposited the money and it was a guy on the phone saying it Victoria...I said but this is a guy and they said yes it is. I thought maybe they are gay which is fine, but i didnt want to offend them so I made light of it then we got disconnected. They are calling from overseas, number was private. Very strange.
H'mmm be VERY careful ... release nothing until the funds are *confirmed* i.e any checks/transfers are complete

but you knew this anyway ... I hope your fears are unfounded and all goes
well...

I am assuming that you have met the buyer and they have seen the car etc?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:08 PM
jlee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

getting nervous about this buyer, email name is Victoria Watkins, like I said discussed about buying for fiancee, they called to say they deposited the money and it was a guy on the phone saying it Victoria...I said but this is a guy and they said yes it is. I thought maybe they are gay which is fine, but i didnt want to offend them so I made light of it then we got disconnected. They are calling from overseas, number was private. Very strange.
Sam,

Just don't hand over the keys to anyone until you have verified funds in your account!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:30 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee
Sam,

Just don't hand over the keys to anyone until you have verified funds in your account!
Of course, it was weird from the beginning..they wanted to use paypal, so I said fine but you are covering the fees, around 3 percent I believe...so an extra 3k...they agreed. I asked a few times where they live and never answered in the email, and asked to call, never did till today.

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
H'mmm be VERY careful ... release nothing until the funds are *confirmed* i.e any checks/transfers are complete

but you knew this anyway ... I hope your fears are unfounded and all goes
well...

I am assuming that you have met the buyer and they have seen the car etc?
Never met buyer, they are overseas... definitely wont release till money is out of paypal account and in the bank.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Of course, it was weird from the beginning..they wanted to use paypal, so I said fine but you are covering the fees, around 3 percent I believe...so an extra 3k...they agreed. I asked a few times where they live and never answered in the email, and asked to call, never did till today.

Never met buyer, they are overseas... definitely wont release till money is out of paypal account and in the bank.
This sounds extremely FISHY indeed... they have never seen the car, they are "overseas", only talked to you once via the phone, and seem reluctant
to reveal information as to their whereabouts?

Probably dont need to go into details here, but how do they intend to take physical delivery of the car and assign title?

I hope everything goes ok here, but it is not a good vibe at all, I would be
very careful with any information you hand over to them as to your location
and that of the car.

You might consider contacting Paypal security to enquire about this.

It looks like you are not covered by any of PP's seller protections unless the
'item' is shipped to the buyers address ... beware.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:50 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

They said they have a shipping company that will come pick it up...

also once the money is in my paypal account, I can take it out and then there is no way for them to get the money right?

This sounds extremely FISHY indeed... they have never seen the car, they are "overseas", only talked to you once via the phone, and seem reluctant
to reveal information as to their whereabouts?

Probably dont need to go into details here, but how do they intend to take physical delivery of the car and assign title?

I hope everything goes ok here, but it is not a good vibe at all, I would be
very careful with any information you hand over to them as to your location
and that of the car.

You might consider contacting Paypal security to enquire about this.

It looks like you are not covered by any of PP's seller protections unless the
'item' is shipped to the buyers address ... beware.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

They said they have a shipping company that will come pick it up...also once the money is in my paypal account, I can take it out and then there is no way for them to get the money right?
I think you should get the name of this company and ensure that they are legitimate etc...

I think if you have a bank account or credit card attached to your paypal account and paypal processed a "buyer chargeback" against your paypal acct
it could direct debit the attached accounts.

I know it seems unlikely that this is a scam given its for a $100k Porsche, but honestly this has a lot of the characteristics of a fraud/scam I am sorry to say.

If you have e-mails from the sellers, take a look at the full internet e-mail headers, from that you can tell where the e-mails originated ... that may
be a clue to their origins and legitimacy.

Good luck, take care, I hope I am wrong here...

- Larry
Old 02-18-2011, 08:25 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I think you should get the name of this company and ensure that they are legitimate etc...

I think if you have a bank account or credit card attached to your paypal account and paypal processed a "buyer chargeback" against your paypal acct
it could direct debit the attached accounts.

I know it seems unlikely that this is a scam given its for a $100k Porsche, but honestly this has a lot of the characteristics of a fraud/scam I am sorry to say.

If you have e-mails from the sellers, take a look at the full internet e-mail headers, from that you can tell where the e-mails originated ... that may
be a clue to their origins and legitimacy.

Good luck, take care, I hope I am wrong here...

- Larry
I think this is good advice. I think a bank wire to you is safer.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996toomey
I think this is good advice. I think a bank wire to you is safer.
Yes I think a bank to bank transfer is much safer, although they can apparently also be recalled.

I think the fact that the purchaser is overseas, wants to use paypal for $100k, has never seen the car, and appears reticent to offer any location information,
not to mention that "Victoria" appears to be a man ... it all smacks of scam.

If I was going to continue this I would open a new bank account, attach that to PP, disconnect all my other accounts and cards from PP, and once the funds had arrived I would transfer them to this account, then move them from there to another account, disconnect that account from PP and close it immediately.

I would also not reconnect any other forms of payment to PP until such time as the car was exported.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:32 PM
ace996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

As a banker, I would not do this. Wires can be recalled, it's not often but it happens. The safest bet would be to have them enter into a "Letter of Credit" agreement with a reputable international bank...HSBC, Citibank. And this is only if you REALLY want to move ahead NOW.

Really, I'd walk away from this and wait for a proper buyer.

And note this, even bank checks can be returned...again, not often but it happens. You'll need your bank to call the other bank to verify funds and wait the 2-3 days for it to become available.

Any questions, I'll be happy to help.

Be good,
TomK
Old 02-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ace996
As a banker, I would not do this. Wires can be recalled, it's not often but it happens. The safest bet would be to have them enter into a "Letter of Credit" agreement with a reputable international bank...HSBC, Citibank. And this is only if you REALLY want to move ahead NOW.

Really, I'd walk away from this and wait for a proper buyer.

And note this, even bank checks can be returned...again, not often but it happens. You'll need your bank to call the other bank to verify funds and wait the 2-3 days for it to become available.

Any questions, I'll be happy to help.

Be good,
TomK
sound advice!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:14 PM
jlee
Instructor

You should ignore this "buyer". Your car is already priced very well and I have seen your car and the condition is basically new. Just be a little patient and it should sell. Just make sure to update the new price to all of your ads.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:30 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Jlee. Sounds too fishy.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:35 PM
SGonzo
Advanced

I agree this sounds like a scam, they don't sound like a legit buyer. Be careful or you will end up without your car and no $ to show for it.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:25 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys...definitely was a scam, found out some more info...asked a few questions and havent gotten a reply.

Quick Reply: Selling the 2010 GT3 :(