Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Euro Spec GT3 Buckets Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Hubley
Are those total overall lengths of the receptacles? Or is that just for the "stem"?
Hey Mark - If my memory is correct, I measured the full length of the receptacles from stem to stern, i.e., from below the bolt hole to the top of the buckle receiver.

Due to a built in kink that enables the receptacles to contour to the seat, I flatten them out as much as possible when I measured. That would negate some length.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Clifton
Pro

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Can anyone one post the part# for the longer seat belt receptacles ?
I think you want the passenger receptacle --> 997.803.183.11
Old 09-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

At the risk of complicating things further, when I look up the parts on this site (http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...75&catalogid=0) the part ending in "10" is listed as "right" and the part ending in "11" is listed as "left."

Is that correct?

If so, does that mean 997.803.183.11 is the driver's side?

Is 997.803.183.11 the longer of the two?

Lastly, I tried putting this part number into the Suncoast site and I got nothing.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:24 PM
GuyR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 996 GT3 seats in my '99 Boxster, and I'm not happy with the way the inboard receptacles fit. They simply will not fit through the inboard holes. If I leave them outside of the holes (between the seat and center console), then there is a big gap between the lap belt and my lap. When my 13-year-old son sits in the passenger seat, there is a very big gap. I feel this is very unsafe.
On the 996 models, the receptacle was never fitted through the seat holes. Only the 6 point harness went through the seat. I know this as I had a 996GT2 Clubsport (Euro-spec here in the UK).

On the 997s the seat design was changed for the buckets and the belt receptacle went through the seat and therefore inside the seat. I found this very ackward as I'm a decent size and found the receptacle then pinched into my thigh/hip. A lot of 997 Clubsport drivers here had the receptacle moved back outside the seat for that very reason.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyR
On the 996 models, the receptacle was never fitted through the seat holes. Only the 6 point harness went through the seat. I know this as I had a 996GT2 Clubsport (Euro-spec here in the UK).

On the 997s the seat design was changed for the buckets and the belt receptacle went through the seat and therefore inside the seat. I found this very ackward as I'm a decent size and found the receptacle then pinched into my thigh/hip. A lot of 997 Clubsport drivers here had the receptacle moved back outside the seat for that very reason.
+1
Old 09-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm 5'10" and 190 and prefer the Euro buckets....the leather GT2 buckets make you sweat and slide around too much.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GuyR

I also have never seen 996 GT3 seats with the receptacle fitted through the hole. However, I simply don't feel secure with the receptacle outside the seat. I'm 6'3" and 190 lbs, and with this arrangement the lap belt doesn't touch my lap! It's worse for my wife and my son.

I've heard/read many times that it is important for the lap belt to fit snugly across the lap. So, I would like to make an attempt at coming up with an arrangement that works with the receptacle running through the hole. It appears to me that Porsche has come to the same conclusion--that the receptacle should pass through the hole. I'm guessing they did this with safety in mind, but I'm not sure. I can see how this arrangement might end up being uncomfortable, and I certainly appreciate the advice! Maybe I can run by my local Porsche dealer and sit in a car that has the newer sport seat arrangement.

I'm going to do a little more research, and maybe I'll buy one of the longer 997 receptacles and see how that works. I guess the worst case scenario there is that I'll be out $100 and some time. If I get anywhere with this I'll post the results.

I'm never happy unless I have a project going on!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:49 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Wait a sec. I just ordered GT2 bucket seats (not the euro) to replace the cruddy sport seats in my spyder. Are you guys saying that in order for me to get the factory seat belts to fit, I need to order new seat belt receptacles?
Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Yes, that's correct. I went through this when I switched the seats in my 2007 RS from U.S. stock to the Carbon GT2 seats (standard 2010 RS, Spyder, Cayman R seats).
So it is correct that the seat belt receptacles are different for the GT2 seats vs. the sport seats. However, my seats came with the new receptacles already attached to the seats, so no need to order new ones!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:13 AM
GuyR
Racer

.........I'm 6'3" and 190 lbs, and with this arrangement the lap belt doesn't touch my lap! It's worse for my wife and my son.

I've heard/read many times that it is important for the lap belt to fit snugly across the lap. So, I would like to make an attempt at coming up with an arrangement that works with the receptacle running through the hole. .........
I totally understand your issue, but the problem is that I don't think that the holes are big enough in the 996 seats for you to be able to fit them through.

The other option is just to get a seat cushion made up to insert in the base to raise you a couple of inches. Much easier and cheaper, just needs some memory foam and fabric covering.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Clifton
Pro

At the risk of complicating things further, when I look up the parts on this site (http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...75&catalogid=0) the part ending in "10" is listed as "right" and the part ending in "11" is listed as "left."

Is that correct?

If so, does that mean 997.803.183.11 is the driver's side?

Is 997.803.183.11 the longer of the two?
Mark, I was able to confirm the part number - 997.803.183.11 is the longer receptacle. If I'm not mistaken, they might be interchangeable so I would think you could use them on either side. Hope that helps.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

My car was at Porsche of Annapolis recently for a variocam repair (discussed elsewhere). When I picked up the car last week, I did some nosing around in a GT3 sitting in the showroom. One of the employees there discussed the seatbelt issue with me, and he seemed to be very knowledgeable on the subject. Here are some observations:

I noticed that the new 997 "GT3" seats actually have a recess on the inside of the seat that the receptacle tucks into. This makes for a better fit for the receptacle.

The employee insisted that with the old 996 GT3 seats, it is intended that the receptacle will be outboard of the seat, between the seat and the console. This confirms what various people have said here. (By the way, I was never intending to doubt any of you on this thread, I was just wondering if it would be better to route the receptacle inboard, as with the new seats.) He said Porsche did intend the 3-point system to work this way for the street.

I'm going to go forward with my stock 3-point belts routed with the outboard side run through the hip and shoulder holes, and the receptacle between the seat and center console. I think there is still some potential to route one of the newer, longer receptacles through the inboard hip hole. I think that would definitely work for someone small, like my 13-year-old son. However, at this time I've got other projects to throw time and $$ into.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Georg Jünger
Cruisin'

I have the same problem, there are no place for the seat belt lookers between the seat and the gear tunnel. I maybe not have the slim model of these seats, cause they have a little bump right where the hole is for the 4-point belts.

but these replacements seat belts you guys are discussing do they fit in an 993,
and on the 90 degree iron plate for RS (nr:96452106500) I have mounted between the sliders and the side mounters.

Can some one also tell me the length of these seat belt receptacle in cm and not inches if you have them. Where to buy these?!

Or do someone have an other way of solution to this problem in a car like this.

If there is seat belt receptacle in only fabric so they are not so stiff I would prefer that.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Georg Jünger
Cruisin'

sorry my bad language spelling, in am from Norway!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Georg Jünger
Cruisin'

do someone have these 997 seat belts receptacles in a 993 with Recaro P.P seats?! some pictures?

Thanx for helping me out.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:47 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

never pass up a good deal on the Euro seats.

good decision!

Quick Reply: Euro Spec GT3 Buckets Help