Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Mud flaps falling out and Ti exhaust issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts
Default Mud flaps falling out and Ti exhaust issue

I have 5000 miles on the car and only 15 or so track days.

My mud flaps that are right before the rear tires always fall out and I lost one.
They have glued them in now, I think.

My center exhaust started rattling at about 3K miles and was leaking after 5K miles.
When not in sport mode, plugged in, it was almost normal and quiet, just a light rattle, in sport mode, very leaky, loud and rattely.

I don't mind, great excuse for a Sharky, just wondering if we all have the same issues.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2010 RS is a "trailer queen" and resides in the box-on-wheels between trips to the local humdrum old tracks (you know, Laguna Seca, Sears Point ... : ) As it approaches 2K miles, nothing but that damn "lightweight" battery has given me any trouble whatsoever. The factory should more correctly call it the "high maintenance" battery. Still, I have it on the factory OEM tender now and it seems to be fine. Groan.

The mud flaps stay on, the various underbody plastic ducts and air deflectors have stayed on, I have barely a scrape or a scratch on the front splitter and the exhaust hasn't cracked (despite often wearing the heavy "Laguna Turnips.")

My only real concern is those ceramic rotors. I guess I might also like a better downshift into 2nd, but since I'm already under 100% brakes, the momentary hesitation while the whole assembly repositions and allows the shift is hardly the thing standing between me and the lap record in this car ... : )

Since there's been owners already experiencing the center rear exhaust can cracking, I hope that Porsche is not sandbagging and arguing that it's the driver at fault in this case, too.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

"Only" 15 track days.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

My mud flaps that are right before the rear tires always fall out and I lost one.

My center exhaust started rattling at about 3K miles and was leaking after 5K miles.
When not in sport mode, plugged in, it was almost normal and quiet, just a light rattle, in sport mode, very leaky, loud and rattely.

I don't mind, great excuse for a Sharky, just wondering if we all have the same issues.
u got a LEMON.
sell it cheap to me. 80k.

my previous RS, the little mud flap was gone after one track day.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:42 AM
joejoda
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter,
I had an exhaust mod done on my RS from AutoQuest in Fort Meyers (Gavin's place). They removed the two baffling boxes on each side and redirected directly in to the titanium exhaust. Sounds great and 48 lbs lighter. They quickly found that the main titanium exhaust would not hold up to the pressure and they were failing. They replaced mine with the 07 final exhaust with the titanium tips and I have not had any issues.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:09 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Yea, my mud flaps come out also, and 1/2 my exhaust is getting replaced under warranty for solenoid issues (no sport mode)
Old 11-24-2010, 08:44 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by joejoda
Peter,
I had an exhaust mod done on my RS from AutoQuest in Fort Meyers (Gavin's place). They removed the two baffling boxes on each side and redirected directly in to the titanium exhaust. Sounds great and 48 lbs lighter. They quickly found that the main titanium exhaust would not hold up to the pressure and they were failing. They replaced mine with the 07 final exhaust with the titanium tips and I have not had any issues.
I ditched the center exhaust (used a bypass) in favor of keeping the sides. Sounds great and is still very liveable. I've been in cars with the center retained and the sides removed... Thought it was a bit much and had a wicked drone at cruising rpm's.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:25 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

like most here sy...titanium does not hold at welding points under heat so you may be better off with a sharky center bypass and perhaps SS tips ( ti tips will not make it long)
Old 11-24-2010, 10:35 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

where is 911slow when you need him.
someone should do a controlled experiment to see if it's better to eliminate side or ctr muffler.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

My mud flaps both came partly off last month at VIR. I couldn't get them back in all the way so I tore them both out. Do they serve any purpose besides deflecting debris? If not, I am not planning on replacing them.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I bought 2 new ones and had them glued in, if they fall off again I won't replace.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:49 PM
joejoda
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

deputydog
My exhaust sounds great. In my setup, how far you insert the exhaust into the final muffler determines how load the exhaust is. I don't have any droning when I ride.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:32 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha, I thought I was only one whose mudflaps were coming loose.

Molesting your 07+ GT3 OE center or side mufflers hurts hp/tq. http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/info...cfm?content=61 Do it for the sound difference if you are unwilling to invest in a full system solution (AWE/Akrapovic/FVD Brombacher).

Quick Reply: Mud flaps falling out and Ti exhaust issue