Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Considering an '07 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 03:07 PM
STRSHP
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering an '07 GT3

Any advice from the forum? Easy to use on a regular basis? What are the weaknesses? Any things to avoid or look for besides the usual used car stuff? Have seen a couple of notes from folks on RMS issues? Any comments, help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Old 11-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STRSHP
Any advice from the forum? Easy to use on a regular basis? What are the weaknesses? Any things to avoid or look for besides the usual used car stuff? Have seen a couple of notes from folks on RMS issues? Any comments, help would be appreciated.
Thank you
I used a 6 GT3 as a DD and it was very compliant on the street and I had bucket seats. Test drove a 997 GT3 and, as most would agree it's even more "comfortable" on the street. So yes very easy to use on a regular basis. And maintenance is generally very easy.

These cars are fairly bullet proof so there's not much to do other than your usual PPI at a reputable shop, check for Type II's, and make sure the car had regular oil changes.

Weaknesses? The car is very very addictive.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

They are a good every day car....I drove mine almost every day....

I then took it to the track.....installed a Sharkwerks bypass and unplugged the valves.....next installed GT2 seats.....next installed harness.....next installed a cage.....next went to 18" wheels / Toyo R888.....next put on race pads.........now waiting on Stop Tech STR kit

As much as you can daily drive these, once you take it to the track you soon realize they belong there
Old 11-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,357 Posts

DO IT!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:24 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Certainly can be used on a regular basis. Depending on what tires are on the car (e.g., Michelin Sport Cups), tire wear may be faster than what you may expect, and be careful in the wet. You may wish to run PS2s (if a DD). Other consideration is the front spoiler -- you will scrape it (it is low), but no big deal. Just view it as a consumable item. Definitely do a PPI, and have your tech look for over-revs (DME). Others may disagree, but if there are stage 3 or higher over-revs, I would walk.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:38 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

I don't believe the GT3 3.6 or 3.8 motors have had RMS issues, but I could be wrong. Do a search on this forum. The motors are solid.

In terms of a DD, it's a rough rough ride. It's loud...espcially once unplugged and ready for the track (as Izzone mentioned is the right place for the car). I can't handle DD in my car, maybe its sensory overload for me, but many people here would say it is.

Its the most connected car I've driven and I've driven many. If that's your thing, you'll be happy with her.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:09 PM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am in the same boat. I am considering a GT3 or even the RS and would use it as an 'almost daily' driver in the summer. Seems like the 997 GT3 can be a DD but you are going to have to enjoy a firm ride. Other than that, just getting some seat time in one is hard to find here in Colorado.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,753 Likes on 2,357 Posts

GT3 of any generation are NOT immune for RMS.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:00 PM
STRSHP
Racer

Thank you for the encouragement. Now, anyone got a good one for sale?
Old 11-06-2010, 04:26 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Not a daily. Too noisy and not terribly comfortable. Not to mention serious lack of usable cargo space.

RMS happens, but not a big deal. Had it 3x on my 996.

Car is big fun at the track. Looks and sounds great. The only think I'm sour about is the unexpected coolant coupling pop out at the track. Poor design on Porsche's part and could be potentially dangerous. If they get my car back together by next weekend I'll be back in the saddle lapping sebring with my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:25 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

I think it makes a great daily driver. My only car is an '07 Speed Yellow GT3 (best color, IMHO). Lacks cargo space, front spoiler is a constant consideration, etc. But who cares? A trip to pick up a sandwich is exciting!!
Old 11-06-2010, 11:28 PM
chiffonade
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought my '07 with an extended CPO warranty just so I could drive it every day without any worries!

It's a supercar, not an SUV!

Just order a few front spoilers and keep them handy lol.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Ilker@SCB
Banned

For sure a daily driver if you leave the stock setup and don't change seats and pads etc.
You may consider changing the tires from MPSC to P2s or P-Zero. My 997 is a full track setup and every time I drive a stock GT3 I feel like I'm in heaven
Old 11-07-2010, 12:38 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

You guys don't have issues talking on the cell? I find it too noisy. The people I'm speaking with can always tell which car I'm in....

Not to mention that heavy clutch is brutal in stop and go traffic jams!
Old 11-07-2010, 09:01 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deputydog95
You guys don't have issues talking on the cell? I find it too noisy. The people I'm speaking with can always tell which car I'm in....

Not to mention that heavy clutch is brutal in stop and go traffic jams!
Put it in sport mode, roll down the window, and turn off the cell phone. What do you hear? Music, I tell ya. Music!!!

I have a buddy in the UK who drives the same car that I do, and the only time he calls me from his cell phone is when he's in his GT3. He calls just to say "Hey Russell, listen to this....."
No dialogue necessary.

Quick Reply: Considering an '07 GT3