Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

My clients are nearly as entertained by the mechanical symphony as we are
Old 11-10-2010, 12:16 PM
jacksojf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for it!

Bought my '07 in late April this year w/ approx 9800 miles w 16 mos warranty left.

It's my DD at least until the snow flies; just rolled over 14,000 miles this week.

No worries other than the spoiler clearance, and you'll figure that out....mine's a bit scuffed on the bottom but replacements are not outrageously priced when the damage gets too severe.

Burnt the original? MPSCs to the ground at my first DE and replaced them with PS2s for daily use. Extra wheels and tires for the track are on this winter's agenda. I'm running -2 front and -2.5 rear camber on the street and thus far, no big wear issues.

I love the responsiveness of the suspension and have no quibbles whatsoever for street use..."Sport" settings nearly all the time.

Can't think of a better dual-purpose machine for the money!

J
Old 11-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by jacksojf
Go for it!

Bought my '07 in late April this year w/ approx 9800 miles w 16 mos warranty left.

It's my DD at least until the snow flies; just rolled over 14,000 miles this week.

No worries other than the spoiler clearance, and you'll figure that out....mine's a bit scuffed on the bottom but replacements are not outrageously priced when the damage gets too severe.

Burnt the original? MPSCs to the ground at my first DE and replaced them with PS2s for daily use. Extra wheels and tires for the track are on this winter's agenda. I'm running -2 front and -2.5 rear camber on the street and thus far, no big wear issues.

I love the responsiveness of the suspension and have no quibbles whatsoever for street use..."Sport" settings nearly all the time.
Can't think of a better dual-purpose machine for the money!

J
interesting I think you are the only person I have heard of that runs their 7.1 in PASM sport ... its too stiff even for the nordschleife!
Old 11-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree running in sport mode all the time on highway is like riding a pogo stick...And if you live in Fla I would think even somewhat dangerous as those highways close to the coast are not very flat.
I think daily driver is determined by how old you are and if you like listening to your women raising hell as she bounces up and down.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:24 PM
jacksojf
Instructor

Ooops, permit me to clarify...

"Sport", but not PASM.

Ran my first DE day without PASM and the car was really mushy; but wanted to see the difference. Switched to Sport PASM the second day, and even with less than optimum tires, the difference was amazing. Agreed, not a street option though.

Driving home the day of the purchase on the Interstate on normal settings my wife's first comment was "I can't believe you paid that much money for a car that rides this bad!". Guess it's a matter of taste...all of my other Porsches excepting the 914 had 030 suspensions so I guess I'm somewhat used to a firm ride.

'Course, I'm only 57, so maybe in my old age I'll think differently!

J
Old 11-10-2010, 03:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 774 Posts

My RS is perfectly suitable to putter around town all day. Nice and comfy and I can talk on blue tooth if not revving over 4K RPM.

The maine advantage of a MKI GT3 is the sunroof, you can keep the windows up and tilt the roof, so you can hear your Sharky better . Great daily drivers as long as you don't take whimpy passengers (Woman).
Old 11-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jacksojf
Ooops, permit me to clarify...

"Sport", but not PASM.

Ran my first DE day without PASM and the car was really mushy; but wanted to see the difference. Switched to Sport PASM the second day, and even with less than optimum tires, the difference was amazing. Agreed, not a street option though.

Driving home the day of the purchase on the Interstate on normal settings my wife's first comment was "I can't believe you paid that much money for a car that rides this bad!". Guess it's a matter of taste...all of my other Porsches excepting the 914 had 030 suspensions so I guess I'm somewhat used to a firm ride.

'Course, I'm only 57, so maybe in my old age I'll think differently!

J
aha ... sorry for my misunderstanding!!!

even on track "sport pasm" on the .1 is pretty stiff and only useful on a very smooth track ... also unless it is wet, turn off your TC and also install some
.2 rear brake ducts ...

try a couple of timed laps w&w/o "pasm sport" I think you might see a difference in times ...

anyway enjoy your car ...
Old 11-10-2010, 07:10 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

You guys are way more hardcore than me I would lose my mind driving the 3 daily. Then again I do 45-50k miles a year as opposed to a quick sprint down to the office and home like most. 3+ hours a day in the 3 and I'd need earplugs, a support belt, and brace for my left leg For now I rock the Vulva C30 turbo to munch the highway miles.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deputydog95
You guys are way more hardcore than me I would lose my mind driving the 3 daily. Then again I do 45-50k miles a year as opposed to a quick sprint down to the office and home like most. 3+ hours a day in the 3 and I'd need earplugs, a support belt, and brace for my left leg For now I rock the Vulva C30 turbo to munch the highway miles.
no, you would simply develop left leg muscles enabling you to "kick start" a battle tank or a 747 ...

of course this might cause you to walk in clockwise circles ....
Old 11-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I do 20-25k a year......I would never consider the GT3 as a daily.....agreed

X5 diesel for me
Old 11-10-2010, 10:44 PM
lp997
Advanced

Do it. You won't be sorry!
Old 11-12-2010, 01:56 AM
jimxyz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine started as a DD, 100+ per day - traffic was a pain, parking was sometimes tricky (i hate to park it near other cars and no way I'm going to the valet), but overall it was more fun than it was a difficult DD. It is now a garage dweller as I finally bought another DD. My wife had the same reaction as jackojf - "why does this thing have such a crappy ride?" She was used to a CLS ride. If I went to the office everyday, instead of to various locations, I'd probably still drive it every day.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:03 AM
jacksojf
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
aha ... sorry for my misunderstanding!!!

even on track "sport pasm" on the .1 is pretty stiff and only useful on a very smooth track ... also unless it is wet, turn off your TC and also install some
.2 rear brake ducts ...

try a couple of timed laps w&w/o "pasm sport" I think you might see a difference in times ...

anyway enjoy your car ...
Larry,

Putnam Park is very smooth. On day one, the MPSCs felt like they were "giving up" toward the end of each session. I presumed it was old worn tires.

Day two, Sport PASM solved that problem; the car was rock solid all sessions.

I'll try TC off at the next DE presuming dry conditions.

Thanks for the tip!

J
Old 11-12-2010, 11:06 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,753 Likes on 2,357 Posts

daily driving? it is fine.
i can sip coffee, blue tooth and speeding all the same time.
dont worry about the front lip. just few hundred bux. scrape it and replace it.
the suspension is really soft imo. ok, maybe stiffer than S class, but that's a water bed on wheels.
the ONLY reason i dont DD my much is that i can get to "hand cuffed to jail" speed in 3rd gear. and it's very hard not to wind it out in every gear. if you wind it out in 5th, you might go straight to electric chair or lethal injection....
Old 11-12-2010, 07:26 PM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I say fine for DD, but have a cheap 3rd car that colors my opinion. As long as you know your route won't be a constant source of problems, like real rough roads and spoiler clearance issues, you'll be ok. The spoiler and not wanting to take it everywhere are my issues. Noise is an easy fix, if you lift.

The MPSCs are off and replaced with Hankook's, which if you are really worried about ride quality and sipping coffee, are the tires to have. Feedback isn't that great, but they do set up. I'm finding w/smooth roads around me that I probably would have been happier w/RE-11's. Ride just isn't that bad, afterall. (Oh, separate track wheels coming..)

Quick Reply: Considering an '07 GT3