Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Another Front Lift Problem

Old 05-28-2014, 09:58 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mpack
Does the lift option affect performance on the track in any way? I think the front springs are shorter. Also, I think the front lift option adds about 15 lb to the weight of the car.
There is a Porsche video of Porsche World Ambassador Walter Rohl lapping "The Ring" in a GT3 with and without lift, two cars. Both cars with him driving, former World Rally Champ - the man is older but he can still out race all of us, got the exact same lap time down to the second. So Porsche will tell all of us a big NO; front lift does not effect performance. Atleast to the point of really racing fast purpose built cars that are prepped per track for each race.

Amendment:

Sorry the Track was Hockenheim and the people setting up the test - Same car even, just with and without lift kit was Cargraphic

And I do believe that the Cargraphic soltion leaves you with an 2.5inch lift with Porsche 1.4inch lift. Either way if you want to Retro-Fit these onto you Porsche it going to be between an $7000 ane $10,000 undertaking unless you like to wrench yourself.

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 05-30-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:02 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 307 Posts

Dealer is fixing mine as we speak-they said the module is being replaced-
Is that the whole system? Part was flown in from Atlanta. I thought I'd have to wait for it to come in from Germany

Funny thing is as I pulled up to drop the car off, the Lift worked. But they found a problem, or perhaps they're just replacing it since so many are having issues. The 991 forum has a long thread on it, maybe the 997 and 991 systems are the same?
Old 04-29-2015, 03:50 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Dealer replaced the pump on my system under warranty. Good thing because just the pump was almost $10k...... If mine fails out of warranty it will be coming off...
Old 04-29-2015, 05:01 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Mine stopped working with the button (it lowers at speed) but the dealer gave me some BS about my GMG cage creating some inability for them to get to the pump without removing said cage. I couldn't be bothered at the time to have a fight about it, which of course now I regret. Live and learn.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:01 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 307 Posts

Part wasn't available in Atlanta, flying in from Germany-
Still don't know what exactly they're replacing, and if I get a free alignment
Old 04-29-2015, 09:33 PM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

keep us posted on what part it was really replaced.
thanks.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:32 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 696 Likes on 425 Posts

Mine did it for the first time in a year and a half. The car is unfortunately out of warranty. Have been out of town for a couple of days, will try again when I get back.

The worst part is I took the car to the dealership for a fault code, and upon my return after I got a call from the dealership a few hours later I saw the car sitting and the lift was engaged. The idiots had the car sitting with the lift on! So technically since the car had no issues prior to the trip to the dealer, it may be their fault. But how the hell am I going to prove that?

Hopefully I won't have to replace anything...
Old 04-30-2015, 04:57 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by brownan
Mine stopped working with the button (it lowers at speed) but the dealer gave me some BS about my GMG cage creating some inability for them to get to the pump without removing said cage. I couldn't be bothered at the time to have a fight about it, which of course now I regret. Live and learn.
What? Pump is under car center in front of tranny. I'm sure there is a control box somewhere.

My shop guys think the placement right next to the coolant linesman run up the center of the car causes the pump setup,to overheat and eventually fail. THey remove a lot of them.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:30 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 696 Likes on 425 Posts

Update: Hadn't driven the car since the lift malfunctioned (almost a week) and decided to disconnect and reconnect the battery to reset the module the most old fashioned way Now she keeps working like a charm again...
Old 12-16-2015, 01:55 AM
martinkm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 different pressure switches in front lift system

Many have reported the 'lift only lowers when exceeding 30mph' failure. Most have attributed to a pump failure. I am seeing this failure where I hit the button and the front raises, but LIFT doesn't appear on the display and the car won't lower when I hit the button. What I've noticed which I think is weird is I can park the car for 3 hours, come back out and when I turn the car back on LIFT is now illuminated and the car lowers with the button fine.

From digging through the PET, I see 3 pressure switches in the pneumatic lift system:

997 341 964 90 - pressure switch until pump
997 341 967 90 - pressure switch from pump
997 341 963 90 - pressure switch

From digging around on the interwebs, i think one of these pressure switches registers when the pressure in the shock absorbers has reached 13 bar, and causes the LIFT indication to appear on the display. Until this pressure switch has activated, LIFT won't appear and pushing the button won't cause the car to lower. I believe this is the pressure switch that causes the failures described above - I'm just not sure which of the above part numbers is the correct one to replace. Anyone know?

K
Old 12-16-2015, 02:40 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Lift sucks. handy yes. but for the long term collectability? no.

Just something else to go wrong on a band-aid fix to a long and low nose.

In 20 years, owners will be mind blowing folks at cars shows showing them what Posche used to install as an option to correct the low apporach angle issue. lol
Old 12-16-2015, 11:26 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use three 2X4's at the end of my driveway, about 4 bucks I guess. Drive down to end of driveway, get out, put out the boards, drive off, park, put boards back alongside some bushes, reverse procedure when I get back.

Was pulled by Highway Patrol last evening, dark night, rural road with construction barrels, never saw any speed signs, License, proof of insurance, registration. Came back, issued me warning, a man of few words. I think my NAM VET license plate, with a Special Forces surround, and my Desert Storm patch on the left shoulder of my flight jacket, very visible to the officer, had a lot to do with my warning. 51 mph in a 35 zone.

I got a ticket in '66 for getting in a drag race with an unmarked sheriff, another about 25 years ago in a speed trap one night in a tiny Missouri town, and can't recall any other tickets. Rarely gotten a warning.

Going up to the Carolinas Porsche Club dinner in Charlotte this PM. Maybe meet up with some of y'all.

All the best....
Old 12-17-2015, 11:44 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by NAM VET
I use three 2X4's at the end of my driveway, about 4 bucks I guess. Drive down to end of driveway, get out, put out the boards, drive off, park, put boards back alongside some bushes, reverse procedure when I get back.

Was pulled by Highway Patrol last evening, dark night, rural road with construction barrels, never saw any speed signs, License, proof of insurance, registration. Came back, issued me warning, a man of few words. I think my NAM VET license plate, with a Special Forces surround, and my Desert Storm patch on the left shoulder of my flight jacket, very visible to the officer, had a lot to do with my warning. 51 mph in a 35 zone.

I got a ticket in '66 for getting in a drag race with an unmarked sheriff, another about 25 years ago in a speed trap one night in a tiny Missouri town, and can't recall any other tickets. Rarely gotten a warning.

Going up to the Carolinas Porsche Club dinner in Charlotte this PM. Maybe meet up with some of y'all.

All the best....
The Vet plates on the GT3 and Challenger have helped on a couple of occasions when the officer happened to be a veteran.

Name:  Vet20tag_zps9qxnn9zv.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  83.1 KB

Last edited by jackb911; 12-18-2015 at 09:14 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Front Lift Problem