Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Failure Registry

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 02:00 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bsavino
...dealer said he didn't know what happened....
Did they ever say what the issue is/was?
Old 09-04-2016, 03:22 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Engine replace? All new coolant lines ? Night event- easy to see...
Old 11-14-2016, 01:49 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

wanted to +1 witnessing a first hand coolant line failure on a turbo this weekend at thunderhill. the guy lost it in the bowling alley and dumped coolant down the back straight.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:05 AM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Reminder... Don't be "that guy" get your pipes fixed before going on track. Turbo dumped coolant today. Fortunately, catastrophe avoided.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:26 PM
black04
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Did anyone sort all the information here by model and year? ...and maybe % of production that failed? Early on, I note that a number of posts were split hoses and leaks other than the survey was looking for.

Just curious. I know it is not a simple task. My computer is too slow to read them all.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:24 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

There is no point to that. They will all fail eventually. The glue fails and the pipes get blown out.

I've seen failures on track of:
996 turbo, 997 turbo, 996 GT3, 997.1 GT3, 997.2 GT3, and a 997.2 GT3RS.

REALLY.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:10 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pinning Coolant Lines

I have pinned the coolant lines and switched over from coolant to water-wetter on my 2005 GT3. If anyone is local to Central Massachusetts, I would be happy to demonstrate and assist in completing the process I followed. Hopefully we will all be a little safer on the track.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:26 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Just reporting a recent incident of coolant line failure in a local PCAer's 2010 GT3. In this case he was not fortunate (?) to be on a track but instead was deep within the interior region of BC heading to the Duffy Lake Road and in an area out of cellular service. Yeesh. Coolant leaked out over the drivers rear so also lucky he was not travelling at high speeds. Had to walk to closest house and use phone to call BCAA (similar to the AAA). $800 towing bill down to the mainland. Home at 4am.

Yep. Best to get them handled before catastrophe.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:56 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

subscribed
Old 01-31-2018, 07:46 PM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello all from the Cayenne 958 forum. It turns out that 2011 Cayennes have this same issue (Porsche using Elmer's glue to hold their engines together /s) as do Panameras. Amazing that after all these years Porsche continues to utilize such a poor fastening technology.

The Cayennes also had a catastrophic issue involving a failure of camshaft bolts. In this case, the Cayenne community was able to convince the NHTSA to force Porsche to issue an actual recall of the afflicted Cayennes. This took a lot of work on our part but after a year or so, Porsche is fixing our Cayennes.
As part of our Cayenne efforts we put together a database of the failures, which can be found here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=14j...f5ZozKsn9Nv2VA
This database was shared with the NHTSA and went into their decision making. The fact that the Cayenne camshaft issue also existed on a ton of BMWs that were recalled previously surely helped.

Anyway, I noticed that there are a few letters between Porsche and the NHTSA regarding the glue/coolant issue. Unfortunately the links to the letters no longer work. Does someone out there have the actual letter PDFs? If so could you share them or put them up on Google docs so I could take a look - feel free to PM me? I'm trying to figure out if this is a battle worth taking on or not.

I know that demonstrating a life-threatening hazard is an important part of the NHTSA decision making process.
Has anyone heard of a case where the failure of the glue caused an (off the track) accident or at least a scary situation? It seems that there have been at least a few on-track accidents cause by the failure.

Cheers!
Old 01-31-2018, 09:17 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by sjg1138
Hello all from the Cayenne 958 forum. It turns out that 2011 Cayennes have this same issue (Porsche using Elmer's glue to hold their engines together /s) as do Panameras. Amazing that after all these years Porsche continues to utilize such a poor fastening technology.

The Cayennes also had a catastrophic issue involving a failure of camshaft bolts. In this case, the Cayenne community was able to convince the NHTSA to force Porsche to issue an actual recall of the afflicted Cayennes. This took a lot of work on our part but after a year or so, Porsche is fixing our Cayennes.
As part of our Cayenne efforts we put together a database of the failures, which can be found here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=14j...f5ZozKsn9Nv2VA
This database was shared with the NHTSA and went into their decision making. The fact that the Cayenne camshaft issue also existed on a ton of BMWs that were recalled previously surely helped.

Anyway, I noticed that there are a few letters between Porsche and the NHTSA regarding the glue/coolant issue. Unfortunately the links to the letters no longer work. Does someone out there have the actual letter PDFs? If so could you share them or put them up on Google docs so I could take a look - feel free to PM me? I'm trying to figure out if this is a battle worth taking on or not.

I know that demonstrating a life-threatening hazard is an important part of the NHTSA decision making process.
Has anyone heard of a case where the failure of the glue caused an (off the track) accident or at least a scary situation? It seems that there have been at least a few on-track accidents cause by the failure.

Cheers!
Wow, Cayennes too, did not know that! Good to know the power of the community has come through there. I'm sure others have pics or videos of failures too but I recall this one recently of a 997 GT3 on the 'Ring (this story is probably already buried within this thread somewhere):

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...rgring-can-be/

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/p...sh-121418.html
Old 02-01-2018, 03:37 PM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, disappointing to say the least. Not to mention someone off the track is bound to be hurt by this failure.

I found the related docs on this at the NHTSA here:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2007/P...investigations

Maybe showing that this failure cuts across many Porsche models would help build a case.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:46 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

2007 turbo.....delivered 9/06.....33k miles....coolant leak from failed glue fittings.....noticed leak while parked.....all lines replaced with sharhwerks kit and pinned.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Mr.Anderson
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm in the Club now. 2010 GT3 with 40K (I drive this car every chance I can get). Failure happened in October. I was planning on doing this in the Winter due to the mileage of the car and I had been collecting parts
but the failure happened first. Fortunately i was only a 10 Min drive from my house and I was able to go home and pick up my truck and trailer and bring the car home with out a tow bill. I Sent the parts to BBI to be welded.
I'm doing a laundry list of things while I'm in here... I would much rather drop this money on Mods and performance items but that is how is goes.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:08 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was the one that started the NHTSA investigation. Dead end - contact person was Stephen.McHenry (Stephen.McHenry@dot.gov). He tried - really. Yes - there has been many consequences due to failed fittings.

Quick Reply: Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Failure Registry