New Centerlock Specs/Torque For Track Use. **Read This**

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:29 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
Your observations are valid.... but not everyone has the physical capabilities you have.... and that is no slight.

You may be over simplifying the physical requirements, or just not conscious that others have different physical limitations.

What is easy for you is not necessarily easy for others, I think I am in the five slug camp.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:30 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Why Why Why? Porsche Why?!?!?!?!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:43 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

someone will come out with five lugs.
the CL is a fk'g disaster.
or maybe we convert to cup car center lock.....

CGT, 40min chg wheels, you would miss your session if you had to do that then get into race suit, hook up cool suit, fill box with ice etc. it takes me 15 min to change all wheels and that's too long... i need air jacks.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:43 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Incremental progress....next GT3 RS must have a center wheel lock DELETE option
Old 09-16-2010, 11:54 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

I guess I can fabricate a brace to "capture" the torque reaction arm of the torque multiplier.
How does the torque multiplier affect the turning force fed into the axle (parking brake/transmission) vs the 4 foot long gut-busting torque wrench method?

Now, where is the rope...
Old 09-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
^
Your observations are valid.... but not everyone has the physical capabilities you have.... and that is no slight.

You may be over simplifying the physical requirements, or just not conscious that others have different physical limitations.

What is easy for you is not necessarily easy for others, I think I am in the five slug camp.
Physical capabilities? Why always bring every thread down to sexual prowess?! I know I'm Porsche's answer to Austin Powers ... oh ... you mean lifting the wheel on the hub ... right ... well, there are ways to make that a back-breaking-less task, but the real challenge is a: making sure the jack is on the jacking point (why can't we go back to having a square peg go in the side of the car, please?) and 2: jacking each tire up just a hair off the ground so that sliding the replacement into place is definitely at the right height ... the center-lock hub guides the wheel with no fuss and there's many alignment points for the conic studs, so a few degrees in either direction and it finds its way. The only muscle work is the now monstrous 660 nm ... with the torque multiplier at 6:1, that's a trivial 110nm at the handle ... the five slugs are 130nm.

At the end of the day, you're right, some will not have a trailer full of stuff and I've had some practice. For the true spirit of the 911 -- to drive to the track, win the race and drive home -- the centerlock adds yet another question of "sure this is better but is it an improvement?" with each new 911 "feature."

By the way, there is a tool that depresses the brake pedal for wheel alignment tasks -- it's a sort of ratchet expanding rod that braces against the seat or steering wheel and forces the brake pedal down ... I'm guess this will be the next gadget I'll need to remember to brinng to the track from now on.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
How does the torque multiplier affect the turning force fed into the axle (parking brake/transmission) vs the 4 foot long gut-busting torque wrench method?

Now, where is the rope...
pre-script: Thanks for providing this information ... you once again earn your title!

There is exactly the same torque applied to the nut, so the wheel will rotate. But, if the torque reaction arm of the multiplier is secured by the spokes of the wheels (as with the Carrera GT) then all forces negate. Thus natures balances itself.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:30 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Physical capabilities? Why always bring every thread down to sexual prowess?! ....
There goes that upside down thinking again!
Old 09-17-2010, 12:34 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^
My thinking is I am just going to park next to you, and act helpless!
Old 09-17-2010, 12:51 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

http://www.etoolcart.com/brakepedald...rlis21520.aspx

Old 09-17-2010, 12:59 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Question...

Why would you have to have the car in the air to torque the wheels, provided that you had somebody or a large dumbbell, or that steering wheel brake thingie ?

Can't you torque the wheels with the brakes on while the car is on the ground ?

Will torqueing the wheels to 444 ft lbs.....could it possibly damage the ceter lock ?

So 349 ft lbs is ok for the street and not the track ? (how about autocross...where speeds are below 85mph and generally much slower.

What if I don't use grease ? Will the wheels fall apart ?

I bet they had a situation where the wheels weren't properly torqued in a race type setting and they came off.

So 444 for the track, but at 349 for street...it's ok if the wheels come off the car ? WTF ?
Old 09-17-2010, 01:09 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
someone will come out with five lugs.
the CL is a fk'g disaster.
Agreed
Old 09-17-2010, 01:14 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

What about "turning the locking thingie with a square extension....left and right.....what square extension ? Could someone help explain....thanks....

David
Old 09-17-2010, 01:19 AM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 84 Posts

Nice find!

I was thinking about making or acquiring a device like this. If you get one, please do let us know how well it works out... that is, if torquing, swapping, and breaking centerlock wheels can truly be a somewhat painless one-man job with the new torque specs required for track use.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:27 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Another thought.......was this "faliure" (guess on my part)....with a OEM wheel or aftermarket. Or would it matter.

Quick Reply: New Centerlock Specs/Torque For Track Use. **Read This**