Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

First DE

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:52 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default First DE

I'm about ready to schedule my first DE. I have a 2010 gt3. Is there anything I need to do to the car for the first few instructional schools? I realize that brake fluid, pads, alternate tires and such things will need to be changed as I progress into the intermediate class but is there anything I should consider now?

I was considering using PCA at the Glen. Suggestions?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:00 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Have Fun!

Look ahead!
Brake HARD

Consider PSDS
Old 08-22-2010, 10:02 PM
911dev
Drifting

Thanks! Good advice, I'm sure.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:03 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like you've got a good plan. Your first couple DEs you will be far from reaching the limits, so stock fluid and pads should be fine. After that, SRF, pagids yellows, and a good track alignment should do you right. The Glen is a blast, but might be very intimidating as your first DE. Very fast track with little run off....lots of blue armco.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:12 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
I'm about ready to schedule my first DE...... Is there anything I need to do to the car....
Have you ever seen a heroin addict inject the needle for the first time? Have you seen the before and after pictures of a Meth addict?

Dooooooooon't do this to yourself and your family!!!!! If you like your bank account balance to look like it does today, don't go!!!!! Stay home and remember just how close you came to becoming a track junkie!

There you have it, I just saved you hundreds of thousands of dollars, countless days off from work and away from the family, not to mention the big hole you were about to put in the ozone layer.

Are you listening to me?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 08-22-2010, 10:13 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

in your trunk is a porsche tire pressure gauge. check your pressures when the tires are cold and make sure they are all good.

take all the crap out of your console, glove box and trunk. stuff that will pitch and roll around...
Old 08-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

What TDM said. But do it anyway. And don't forget to get your tech ahead of time.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 171 Posts

Be prepared to be amazed at what your car can do.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:30 PM
911dev
Drifting

I've been afraid to try this as I'll become an addict. After reading the responses I'm sure of it. Thanks; I think.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It sounds like your car is pretty new. However, it is worth having the alignment checked out. Also, most regions require brake fluid to be no more than 3-6 months old and recently bled. Make sure you get a helmet that's comfortable, which means trying it on first at a shop.

Don't try anything heroic in your first DE. Stay within your comfort zone. As your instructor will tell you, the car is way better than you are.

And yes, you will become addicted. Ask me how I know.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:43 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eyes up and LISTEN. Do not try to drive fast. Learn the line and focus on hearing what the instructor is saying. Have fun.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

may want to take a quick look at the track day checklist bart1 posted.

https://rennlist.com/forums/7110337-post11.html
Old 08-25-2010, 08:32 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The guys have said it all: wheel alignment is a must, fresh oil in the gearbox and engine is nice before you thrash it, as is SRF fluid/brake bleeding and full brake check- you dont want your brakes fading on you.... its damn scary....and keep on checking tire pressures throughout the day (thats the one thing that will degrade your performance throughout the day besides you getting tired), keep hydrated so bring lots of fluid for yourself!

And the final and most important thing to remember: you want to be able to drive your car home, not have it hauled back in pieces.

Drive to your own limit. Not your cars limit. You have nothing to prove to anyone else.... only yourself.

Oh yeah.... you will get addicted as TDM has said. Its all over by the second track day. Sept 10 I have 2 4 hour sessions, Sept 11 I have one 4 hour track session.... and as always I CANT WAIT!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 08:54 AM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PCA will have a bunch of info on the regions website for the DE, so you can easily make yourself a checklist of what you need and what to do. The Pre-Tech Inspection by a local Porsche dealer or independent shop is an easy thing to forget. Once you have it completed, put it in your glovebox. Also make sure you have a compliant helmet per your regions specs.

Get to know your instructor prior to the event. Arrange a place and time to meet at the track before it's your turn to run. Nothing more frustrating than seeing your run time creeping up on you and no instructor to be found. Also see if you can find a "track buddy" who's been there before. Most people at DE's wold be happy to help a newbie.

Just some advice specific to the Glen. It is a big track and it is a fast track. Your instructor will keep you safe. Most people in your run group will be relatively new to DE's. You're car is super fast, so don't worry about keeping up. You have more than enough speed. Just listen to your instructor and try to memorize the track one turn at a time. Print a copy of the track map. Using the map, Try to visualize each turn on the track after each run. WG takes a while to memorize. Some areas look alike. You will be a bit overwhelmed at first, you will be lost on the track, you will wonder if you should be out there. Then all of a sudden you'll go for a run and you'll be able to anticipate the next turn because you now have the track burned into your brain. The instructors directions will make sense. The car will become part of you. That's when the hook firmly sets in your cheek.

One more word of advice. Once you get some speed up, it is very important that you never lift in the Esses. The GT3 is capable of well over 100mph in the Esses, it will stick. Set your throttle at a place you're comfortable and either keep it there or roll on, but never lift.

Have fun and most off all stay safe. Eyes up, look ahead through the turn and watch your mirrors is really all you need to get through day 1.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:07 PM
911dev
Drifting

^ Wow! Thanks for all of the info.

I have to ask about lifting. I apologize as I'm sure it's been discussed to death. Anyway, if I'm in a corner or esses and I feel I have too much speed -let's say there is too much speed- what else is there to do other than hope the car will stick? I realize that lifting can be dangerous but it can not be avoided sometimes, right? Is it safe to say easy in, hard out?

Sorry, I know this is second nature to most of you. I've had evoc training (which I know does not compare) but no track time with any of my sports cars.

Quick Reply: First DE