Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum-141/)
-   -   2008 GT2 w/ 1,3XX miles goes for $128k at Bonhams (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/585183-2008-gt2-w-1-3xx-miles-goes-for-128k-at-bonhams.html)

pdobbs 08-14-2010 12:59 PM

2008 GT2 w/ 1,3XX miles goes for $128k at Bonhams

Was at the Quail yesterday and at the Bonhams auction part of the Amalfitino collection was auctioned off. This beauty went for $128k w/ buyers premium with no reserve. Seemed like a pretty good deal to me.

Lot No: 231•
2008 Porsche 911 Carrera GT2
Chassis no. WPOAD299285796241

Mike Amalfitano was understandably smitten by the features, design and performance of the 997-series 911 GT2 and bought this black over black example as soon as it was available. It has been continually professionally maintained and detailed since it was new and at the time of cataloging the electronic odometer showed only 1,317 miles on this showroom condition Porsche. The 2008 911 GT2's accomplishment of being Porsche's first 200+ mph road car and its abundant technical features make it an important milestone in Porsche history. It's also a thrilling car to drive and enjoy.

FFaust 08-14-2010 03:25 PM

There are a couple of pretty cool cars on there.

The Baron 08-15-2010 12:12 AM

Nice car, decent price.

C.J. Ichiban 08-15-2010 02:01 AM

wow 128? I would. gt2's are pretty awesome for that cheap

Carrera GT 08-15-2010 02:31 AM

I saw a white one parked outside Quail with a phone number scribbled on a piece of paper and stuck to the rear side window with a "free to good home" sense about it.

I think PCNA better start doing a "Bernanke Geithner" on the 997.1 GT2 ... prop up the market ... otherwise, the arrival of the 997.2 GT2 and GT2 RS will be greeted with a cold reception.

FFaust 08-15-2010 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Carrera GT (Post 7816280)
... otherwise, the arrival of the 997.2 GT2 and GT2 RS will be greeted with a cold reception.

At the dealership this week a salesman pointed to an add for the R8 convertible and commented on what great value and how different and unique the car was. He then went on to compare it to the Turbo S that was parked next to his desk and how, as great a car as it is, it looked like all the others whereas the R8, again, was unique. There is an Audi dealership in the family but this location only sells Porsche.

When I asked about the GT2 RS he was less than enthusiastic simply saying that "they would sell a couple" but again, that it wouldn't be THAT special. Mind you, we are talking close to $300k Cdn here. I was surprised to hear this from a long-time sales person who is normally very excited about the marque.

Anyway, you say "cold reception", I say damage control :icon501:

Now totally OT: I've seen all the stuff about the GT2 RS, and have READ enough about the .2 GT3/RS to have a fairly good idea of its behavior, so would anyone care to briefly comment about how a .1 GT2 would compare to a GT3 on the track?

TT v. NA of course, but how much sense would it make to get a GT2 as a mostly track car? Rewarding and pleasant beast to tame, or high-maintenance b#$ch?

WSH 08-15-2010 02:06 PM

...and the $128k was inclusive of the commission...so hammer price was ~$115k
wsh

Izzone 08-15-2010 02:38 PM

......I would have bought this

NiteJav 08-15-2010 02:52 PM

I am sure this conjecture has been made before about the GT2. Not having owned own one, the GT2 has the reputation of being a widow maker. Its the sort of car you move up to when you
A. have lots of money
B. have lots of time to improve your driving skills on a track or racing type venue.
C. you drive cars professionally and know how to handle such a vehicle.

B&C are of course interchangeable, but obvious you need A.

The problem with the GT2 is its not very good outside of a track GT2 RS included. As a DD its pretty harsh when compared to its sibling 911TT awd. You can't negotiate driveways or parking lot entrances with steep uptakes, speed bumps etc. When compared to an R8 its even more unlivable on a daily basis. The GT2 gets put in the pile with the likes of the Lotus Exige, GT3 RS, and other very track focused cars. Its a niche cars for a very niche market. Its almost like a Cayenne GTS manual SUV. It appeals to a very limited market. For that reason you'll only have a limited pool of buyers, and at the price point the field is further limited to those who are generally in the top 5% income brackets in the US. I guess people in the top 10% could do it too but they better have saved up a lot or not have a lot of other debt.

Probably the final part that kills the resale is the fact you can buy one of it siblings and if you are capable of driving its siblings at 10/10 you'll still be faster then a person who can wring out 8.5/10 out of a GT2. That extra bit your get from a GT2 or a GT2 RS is only measurable on the track and only when its in capable hands. Most folks who do have the means simply go the safer/cheaper route and for the most part none of their friends will ever notice the difference.

Then couple that with the crappy economy, and the fact that you need B or C from what I mentioned above and your have a recipe for car that will suffer greatly when it comes time sell.

911SLOW 08-15-2010 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Carrera GT (Post 7816280)
the arrival of the 997.2 GT2 and GT2 RS will be greeted with a cold reception.

What is the 997.2 GT2 :D

FFaust 08-15-2010 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by NiteJav (Post 7817136)
Its the sort of car you move up to when you
A. have lots of money
B. have lots of time to improve your driving skills on a track or racing type venue.
C. you drive cars professionally and know how to handle such a vehicle.

B&C are of course interchangeable, but obvious you need A.

...GT2 is its not very good outside of a track GT2 RS included. ...Its a niche cars for a very niche market.
...if you are capable of driving its siblings at 10/10 you'll still be faster then a person who can wring out 8.5/10 out of a GT2.

...your have a recipe for car that will suffer greatly when it comes time sell.

So if "A" is melting away due to reasons stated, and if you assume that "B" is the case, then...

If one could score a "reasonably" priced GT2, does it then become a no-brainer to get the GT2 for the track or are you still better with a 3 RS?

IOW, is the GT2 a legitimate track tool or is it merely a TROPHY :icon107:

NiteJav 08-15-2010 08:27 PM

Oh second hand owners of GT2's are getting an unbelievable deals! I was considering the context of the first owners who drive it off the dealer lot. They're taking a huge bath. GT2 or GT2 RS does become the ultimate track weapon pound for pound, but you really have to know what you're doing to use all of it. IE probably not a good car to learn on. Track junkies looking for a track specific car rejoice in the market for second hand GT2's, GT3's etc.

TRAKCAR 08-15-2010 08:37 PM

I prefer Turbo for street driving and the linearity of NA for on track.

C.J. Ichiban 08-16-2010 08:44 AM

a gt2 has 80-100hp more than a GT3 of similar vintage. they are the fastest cars on the track assuming you've got the tires and the stones to drive them as such.

they are not "beginner track day" cars because 500+ HP cars for beginners = "please don't hit the wall....CRAP. DAMMIT."

that being said- I'd love to flog a GT2 around despite my general derision of turbo engines. they're fun as hell. if you get them aligned properly they're not widow makers- they're like the motorcycle of 911's. it's all about how safe and under control you can be with your throttle application. The new 997 ones are basically GT3s with turbos in terms of how they're set up, so they're plenty grippy and surefooted.

Yoops Racing 08-16-2010 11:53 AM

not surprising...seller needs cash. These cars/value even with low miles are going to continue to drop....