Warning re:Gray paint on .2 RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 10:10 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by johnr265
For those who have (or are thinking of getting) the gray paint on the .2 RS, don't even think about it unless you are going to get the whole body wrapped. I have never seen such soft paint in my life (maybe on an 80's honda). I have only had the car a week, put 300 easy street miles on it, and already have maybe half a dozen chips or scratches in the paint (shows up white) on the side panels below the door and the rear wheel arch. Car is going in for the rest of the wrap next week.
I dont think this color is softer than other colors.
All Porsche basecoats are same water based hi coverage colors the clearcoat is the layer that forms the sheild and must be able to resist scratches and other outside influences.
Unfortunately environmental pressures and cost lead to the use of waterbased and powder clearcoats instead of the older toxic but bulletproof acrylic enamel urethane 2ingridient clearcoats.
So dont blame the grey for this blame greenpeace.

John
Old 07-24-2010, 12:29 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by atleung
Yes, the only place isn't is the bottom of the wing.
Detailing Dynamics did my car; not the entire car though. Can you post -or PM me- who did your work?

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:29 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

based on my experience, Porsche paint is pretty good. along with BMW. Mercedes seems a little harder due to Nano Technology? Audi is the worst... beyond soft.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:02 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 51 Posts

Are most of you guys having the 3M or other material put right over the decals? This is what I am thinking of doing. My installer, who is meticulous and only does custom cut installations, is afraid it might not look right. Anyone with film right over the decals here? Can you post a photo if so?
Old 07-25-2010, 12:06 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,885 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
Are most of you guys having the 3M or other material put right over the decals? This is what I am thinking of doing. My installer, who is meticulous and only does custom cut installations, is afraid it might not look right. Anyone with film right over the decals here? Can you post a photo if so?
I put film over the GT3 RS decal on the front fender and it came out great. No bubbles or air pockets that i can see and created a very thin outline around the graphic that has a bit of silver tint and makes the graphic pop. I'm going back to have the rear fenders done to match. I used Ventureshield FWIW.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:52 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

not a problem at all. like Nizer said, if u can see it, there's a slightly edge around the decal caused by the thickness of the film. i actually love the look because it kinda give it an embossed look. more 3D in a way.

i had no problem putting the film right over the decal on the Mk.I RS. however, on the Mk.II is a bit trickier on the rear fender because factory put the checker decal over the clear film from factory. to do it right, u'll have to order a new set of checker decal to start from the beginning.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:00 AM
atleung
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to take my chances by applying the film over the decals, but I was not going to apply the film over the decal AND the ugly factory stone guard in front of the rear wheels. So I had all the decals remove first. I also wasn't sure that I was not eventually going to removing some decals. Applying the film over them obviously would have limited my options. Now I don't sport the fender decals.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:42 PM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree with Texasviany. I did the front bumber and hood and the rest is going to get what ever it gets. I bought the car to drive it and I am willing to accept that i may get 5% less that the babied car but will have 100% more fun! Cost of doing business. BTW the extra film will probably run $2000 anyway.

Quick Reply: Warning re:Gray paint on .2 RS