Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Nip/Tuck

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 12:36 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Gald you guys like the post. It was alot of work but I learn tons as usual. now I just need to improve the driver

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Good show. Was the Akrapovic much more expensive than the alternatives? I know them to be on the pricey side of the street. As for going with Sharky, Alex and Dan -big up from Bakersfield-, well can't blame you on that one.

My biggest question is can we expect to see 500 BHP at the crank with the RS with mods solely?
It will be super hard. exhaust and software may only add 25 hp

Originally Posted by savyboy
1. 2:04.2 Sweet!
2. Full system side bypass for me.
3. Damn Mike! Incredible write-up. Well worth the wait.
4. Love the "Pure Sex" sticker! Hilarious!
5. It does look museum quality.

Were you guys at TH Wednesday this week? Would have loved to spend the day with you all. Next time! I had Spring Mtn last weekend and have Buttonwillow this weekend so no way I could sensibly make TH happen midweek (have to spend night there to do it).

What tires do you have on?

You must have healed well, yes? Glad to see you back in action.

Side bypass and quiet/loud still controlled by Sport button and OE vacuum valves right?

Yeah, it will be too hard for you to make all the event. Your RS will be just amazing with a set of these Titanium jewelry. I am sure mooty can drive my RS and crack 2:00 easy with it's current set up. I think you can use the Evolution setup and add on sharky center bypass if needed. I plan on running that setup at Laguna Seca in a week. You have to see the exhaust in person and you too will agree it's "pure ... six"
Old 05-21-2010, 01:21 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

This is the best post ever. I want to buy your RS from you when you're bored with it - because by then it'll be dialed in and PERFECT.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:53 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

^1st time ever saw a green RS in person- just love it!!!. Mikymu(Michael) is thee nicest person I've met. Hella fun times at thill last tuesday : ). Wished U lived next door to me- i be living in your garage : ). I would purposely get kicked out by my wife : ). DIY stuff rocks!!!. Mike
Old 05-21-2010, 02:38 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

Very nice Mike. I got some very nice dyno results today of my Akrapovic race and Evoms tune. Very nice Will post tomorrow.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:28 AM
MarekN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That thread took a million hours to post, title the photos, think it through. It´s like you´re putting together a Pixar movie when you´re doing it. Absolute respect for taking all that time with this. There is nothing else to do in terms of DIY exhaust install instructions but to always turn people in the direction of this post. The dyno sheets, the before and after videos, the potential technical pitfalls, the comments on the stock system, it´s all here. One of your posts equals to one hundred regulars.
Did you send a link to Akrapovic? They would be very impressed.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:33 AM
markus_t19
Advanced

Fantastic post..and what a mod!
Even here in Germany the Akrapovic Evolution is a TUEV-approved street legal option.

I have to say that i admire how you make these mods and i am truly grateful for the additional effort you make to share them with us.

And I really like how you think about which mod to make and relating them to your actual experience on the track...probaly with tons of additional research into the offerings of the various vendors to come with something that works for you. For example i could never quite grasp this engine mount stuff (despite reading quite a bit about it) until i read your post describing the before and after experience on the track.

what is on your mind for doing next?

Markus
Old 05-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 914 Posts

Wow Mike, what an incredible post! We've only been waiting a year+ for Akrapovic or one of their dealers to post a real analysis of the full Evolution system. I hope you got a consulting fee from Akrapovic. And I think at this stage Rennlist owes you lifetime membership..

A few questions and one comment:

- CA has emissions testing correct? Do you expect any of the systems to pass emissions?

- Am I correct in reading that the full Evo sytem in Sport mode made the highest peak HP?

- did you happen to put all the variations with peak HP/TQ figures into any kind of spreadsheet or table that you could share?

- finally, I know you're cheap (still trying to reconcile how cheap and Akrapovic land in the same post) but how could you ever put those bolts back on??
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2010, 02:33 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Serge944
This is the best post ever. I want to buy your RS from you when you're bored with it - because by then it'll be dialed in and PERFECT.
lol

Serge, I need a near perfect car to compensate for a near imperfect driver

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
^1st time ever saw a green RS in person- just love it!!!. Mikymu(Michael) is thee nicest person I've met. Hella fun times at thill last tuesday : ). Wished U lived next door to me- i be living in your garage : ). I would purposely get kicked out by my wife : ). DIY stuff rocks!!!. Mike
Hey Mike, thanks for the kind words and I too was glad to finally meet you You are one fast racer if not the fastest I ever seen along with mooty. I could not keep up with you and thanks to traffic I was able to get a glimpse of your red machine once in a while. Now I really need to work on my driving skill.

Yes, DIY is so much fun and almost as good as driving on the track. You are welcome to stay at my garage if you get in trouble with wife I got a bunk bed ready for mooty in the garage already.

Originally Posted by GT3
Very nice Mike. I got some very nice dyno results today of my Akrapovic race and Evoms tune. Very nice Will post tomorrow.
Fantastic! Now this is off the shelve software and not dyno tune right?

Originally Posted by MarekN
That thread took a million hours to post, title the photos, think it through. It´s like you´re putting together a Pixar movie when you´re doing it. Absolute respect for taking all that time with this. There is nothing else to do in terms of DIY exhaust install instructions but to always turn people in the direction of this post. The dyno sheets, the before and after videos, the potential technical pitfalls, the comments on the stock system, it´s all here. One of your posts equals to one hundred regulars.
Did you send a link to Akrapovic? They would be very impressed.
Thanks. yes, it did took a million hours to get all the planning , install, dyno, track etc. done in a timely manner. I love Pixar movie and that will be an interesting job for sure. Wife always ask me why I became a doctor instead of an engineer of some sort. Well, I was heading into aerospace engineering then I got dumb and did medicine instead lol.

Yes, Akrapovic folks are aware and they been very supportive

Originally Posted by markus_t19
Fantastic post..and what a mod!
Even here in Germany the Akrapovic Evolution is a TUEV-approved street legal option.

I have to say that i admire how you make these mods and i am truly grateful for the additional effort you make to share them with us.

And I really like how you think about which mod to make and relating them to your actual experience on the track...probaly with tons of additional research into the offerings of the various vendors to come with something that works for you. For example i could never quite grasp this engine mount stuff (despite reading quite a bit about it) until i read your post describing the before and after experience on the track.

what is on your mind for doing next?

Markus
Thanks for the kind words Markus. Where about do you reside in Germany? Close to the ring? That's one language I like to learn so I can watch 24H ring stream video and understand what they are talking about.

I have no immediate mods plan other than track days and more track days to try out different exhaust combinations and also work on my driving skills. I love to learn how to drive like a rally racer like Sebastien Loeb. They are the best driver in my opinion. American Ken Block can't even finish one stage on WRC this year w/o that's how hard it is. Now I just need to get a Citroen to beat on lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGM07cAPzZA

Originally Posted by Nizer
Wow Mike, what an incredible post! We've only been waiting a year+ for Akrapovic or one of their dealers to post a real analysis of the full Evolution system. I hope you got a consulting fee from Akrapovic. And I think at this stage Rennlist owes you lifetime membership..

A few questions and one comment:

- CA has emissions testing correct? Do you expect any of the systems to pass emissions?

- Am I correct in reading that the full Evo sytem in Sport mode made the highest peak HP?

- did you happen to put all the variations with peak HP/TQ figures into any kind of spreadsheet or table that you could share?

- finally, I know you're cheap (still trying to reconcile how cheap and Akrapovic land in the same post) but how could you ever put those bolts back on??
Thanks Nizer. Yeah, I don't know why it's taking so long to see detail report of the Evolution setup and I am glad to finally crack the system and got some interesting answer. I really like the Evolution with Sharky bypass setup. It lost less hp and torque when the exhaust go through side mufflers and save another 8 lbs from the rear.

OK, now to your questions

I don't know. That was something I like to find out but California has super tight smog regulation. I could not find a smog station that will do a test run w/o sending the report to DMV. If it fails then I will have to put on stock system to pass. Too much PITA. But what I can tell you is that there are no annoying exhaust fumes like a straight pipe setup so the 100 cell cats are doing it's job

That's a big YES!!! It made more hp and torque compare with Race setup pretty much pass 5K RPM - it made more than 4 hp than Race up top. I am eager to try out the Evolution set up at Laguna Seca in a week. Subjectively the Evolution with Sharky's center bypass has the strongest kick on the road.

Wow, that will be alot of work. I do have the spread sheet for each dyno run including baseline. I can have them scan and post the charts (7 charts total) if you like

lol Don't spread the word around and people may just find out how cheap I am

Honestly, I did not know Porsche made a stainless header bolts until I did the post and Alex at Sharkwerks pointed out that TT has stainless header bolts where as GT3 has regular rust prone steel bolts. Initially I did not seen the point of getting the same new lousy steel bolts and they will rust in no time. I will try to order some stainless TT header bolts and see how well they work out
Old 05-21-2010, 02:45 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

I dont think he was really being cheap. The Akrapovic system come with everything you could think of for installation, except the bolts for the headers. The installation docs and DVD, state to re-use the OEM bolts. I know, it kinda suck. I had to do it on mine as well. Even if new OEM one are bought to swap, the will turn rusty anyways.

Edit: I took to long to post it ^
Old 05-21-2010, 03:03 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3
I dont think he was really being cheap. The Akrapovic system come with everything you could think of for installation, except the bolts for the headers. The installation docs and DVD, state to re-use the OEM bolts. I know, it kinda suck. I had to do it on mine as well. Even if new OEM one are bought to swap, the will turn rusty anyways.

Edit: I took to long to post it ^
Yeah, I am going to call suncoast and see if I can get a set of stainless steel TT header bolts
Old 05-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 914 Posts

Thanks for the responses. How does the full system sound with Sport off relative to the stock exhaust?
Old 05-21-2010, 03:56 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mikymu
Fantastic! Now this is off the shelve software and not dyno tune right?
Check it out (Just posted it) : https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ml#post7590405

Old 05-21-2010, 09:00 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses. How does the full system sound with Sport off relative to the stock exhaust?
Good question. The full evolution with side muffler is super quiet - more quiet than stock. Drone is completely eliminated with exhaust going through side mufflers. It sounded half way between stock and stock with Sharky bypass when you bypass side mufflers. A bit too quiet for me. I like a healthy dose of hearing loss before 65

Originally Posted by GT3
Very nice gain and Mike at AWD sure earn his pay
Old 05-21-2010, 09:54 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great post and data comparisons.

you can work in my O.R. any time
Old 05-21-2010, 10:09 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'