Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

question reg ride height adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 05:24 AM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question reg ride height adjustment

Was just curious how(or from what angle) do you guys measure the ride height of your car when doing an alignment.I just noticed that my rear ride height is different on both sides(i measured the distance from the centre of the wheel arch and topside of my tyre).i could tell the difference just by looking at it so there is a big difference 4-5mm?? my car came like this from factory and im not sure if i should ask for a re-alignment?

thanks
Old 03-22-2010, 07:36 AM
fun2k
Racer

Update:

ok so i measured it accurately now and the difference between the left and right rear height is 0.5inches=12.7mm.
also note this is a left hand drive car so when the driver is sitting in the car the difference would be even more. also both front wheels are same in ride height.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:45 AM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 86 Posts

Front ride height is measured from the largest bolt heads attaching the front suspension carrier to the chassis, to the ground. I believe the bolt head size is 19mm, it is just inboard of the brake scoop on each side. In the rear there is a machined area left and right on the rear suspension carrier. A typical measurement for a standard GT is approx. 95mm front and 105mm rear (for a frame of reference only)...The best resource for this is likely the workshop manual from the RS, or the GT3 Cup manual which has detailed instructions for measuring ride height front and rear.
I doubt there is that much difference unless someone has changed the settings. Remember that any change in ride height affects the corner balance which needs to be checked along with toe and camber. Unfortunately the 911 has changing wheel rates and toe angles, so everything moves in different directions.
You might also check to see if the swaybars are attached with pre-load, that can affect ride height and corner balance too. They should just fit in the attachment hole with driver weight and half tank of fuel, it is pretty common for people that don't know to fail to adjust the length of the attachment rod and just "pull" it into the hole. I even saw one guy at a track jack the car up until he could get the link in the hole and then lower the car again. Guaranteed that was a mess.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:26 PM
fun2k
Racer

thanks for the info. i actially measured from the centre of the rear wheel arc to the teeth of the center bolt and it gave me reading of 12inches on the RL and 12.5inches on RR.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:38 AM
fun2k
Racer

just an apdate,i got it checked by the tech and he said they measured it from the rear machined area and reading and the distance measured was equal on both sides. so im wondering why is there half and inch of difference from the wheel well?do any of you have this difference?
Old 03-24-2010, 12:19 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

alignment is always off after shipment on a carrier. mine was way off kilter after trips across the atlantic both ways. have a quality shop align and corner balance it for you. night and day difference once its done too.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:26 PM
fun2k
Racer

thanks for the advice m8 i think i should do that next just to be sure.besides on stock alignment the car understeers like a train,i want to get that dialed out a little.

Trending Topics

Old 03-26-2010, 09:11 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

FYI:
Ride heights for GT3/GT3RS are the SAME for RoW/USA.

F. 108mm +5mm -0mm
R. 133mm +5 -0mm

Credit; MJones

Quick Reply: question reg ride height adjustment