Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Halogen vs. Bi-Xenon headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:35 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Halogen vs. Bi-Xenon headlights

Any technical thoughts on code 600 "lightweight headlights"?

It seems like getting rid of the washer system with that chrome dimple on the front bumper is worth it. However, popular opinion favors Bi-Xenon. Halogens use a 2-bulb arrangement instead of a sinlge bulb, multi-purpose unit like Xenons.

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:50 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can look at the release bulliten from Porsche back in 2001. Bi-xenons have over twice the illumination of the halogens and the beam pattern is a lot better. Since getting them on my 996 Carrera, I won't go back to halogens. Although the Bi-xenon uses the Xenon light for both low and high beams, there also a halogen in these headlights. The halogen turns on when you turn on the high beams. The reflectors for the xenon light open and re-direct the light straight forward at long distance. The halogen comes on the illuminate immediately in front and side of the vehicle for more fill. I never once thought about the "Lightweight" headlight option. Sorry, safety comes lok before a negmigable weight saving.

After looking at a lot of 997s, I do agree about the washers being a little obnoxious. There is a simple solution, the exclusive paint to body color option. It is only $300 and I did it on my GT3. It is a huge improvement as you don't even notice the bumps once they are painted. Otherwise the 2 chrome bumps just stand out.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:15 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

i love the xenons. and the little nipple washers dont bother me at all. they are very luxury like.

that being said, the light weight headlights with no nipples are more "CUP" like which i dig too.

but if you do not trailer the car as a "CUP" car, than get yourself the xenons! it is a road going car!
Old 01-23-2010, 03:07 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

i unplugged the washers and piping when i removed the bumper to install vent guards. plugged it up with a plumbing terminal bought from home depot. then got some black vinyl cut into circles to cover the holes left. everything is replaceable and you get rid of junk you never use. you could also go the bumper plugs route. I was going to get a cup front bumper with integrated tow brace it never happened. going to do the same on the RS. need xenons! never going back to dim halogens again.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:40 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The Xenons are so much better!

But if you do't drive at night it really does not matter
Old 01-23-2010, 03:46 PM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

I opted for the lightweight headlight option. I do very little night driving with this car and when I do it is typically local stuff only. The xenons do throw a lot more light, so I guess it comes down to how you use it and how long you plan to keep it.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:05 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,860 Likes on 2,397 Posts

i love nipples, on the car that is. i like them in chrome so i can enjoy seeing them.

xenon is a must for me. i like it bright. i sleep with 100watt bulb on and my office has over 1000 watts just at my area. with xenon, i can barely see anything. with halogen, i will kill off many things on the road until i kill myself.

you should decide not by the look of the lights but by the illumination they provide and what is acceptable for YOUR eyesight.

i wear glasses. i dont really like them, but i wear them b/c otherwise i cannot see. so lights should be treated the same imo
Old 01-23-2010, 05:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,687 Likes on 785 Posts

I can't see crap in the dark, nipples it is....
Old 01-23-2010, 05:26 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

wait... you mean you can't see nipples in the dark....
hum... that is not good.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:48 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
wait... you mean you can't see nipples in the dark....
hum... that is not good.
I love nipples in the dark and especially in the early morning. My favorites are not chrome plated, however. Could I get them in mocha-pink?

I went with the lightweight headlight option because I will probably never drive the RS at night anyway.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:42 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by dertub
I went with the lightweight headlight option because I will probably never drive the RS at night anyway.
once car arrives, you can remove the lights and put getty design CF cover on the eye socket. it's light and looks mean.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:45 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Here is a pic with painted warts.
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2010, 03:52 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

i see lots of comments about these nipples and generally think headlamp washers are a bit silly. BUT, there's a reason for them.

Vehicles equipped with HID headlamps are required by ECE regulation 48 also to be equipped with headlamp lens cleaning systems and automatic beam levelling control. Both of these measures are intended to reduce the tendency for high-output headlamps to cause high levels of glare to other road users. In North America, ECE R48 does not apply and while lens cleaners and beam levellers are permitted, they are not required
Old 01-24-2010, 10:26 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine was off the floor and came with the lightweight option

but i'm old and need all the illumination i can get

does anyone know if it can be retro-fitted? as many of you have been chagrined to find (at least i have been), much in the Porsche cannot be changed due to the build-specific buss.

otherwise, after many years of driving exotics of all brands, this is without a doubt the BEST sportscar i've ever driven. truly near-perfect.

i'm considering a set of aux driving lamps with flamethrower pencils if it cannot be done. any suggestions along those lines out there?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:33 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

I think Porsche should offer PTS headlight washer nipples in a contrasting color.

Code N@@

Quick Reply: Halogen vs. Bi-Xenon headlights