Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What's the highest octane you can put in an RS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 05:04 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in the early 90s I remember getting atleast 92 octane in Long Beach ca. Also 93 was possible too. Don't carburatred cars benefit from higher octane. Especially when all the kids use to dump their injectors for carbs in the mid 90s on their hondas?
Old 12-20-2009, 06:54 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
unless you are racing for money, i would run the LOWEST octane that the manufacturer recommends.
Thanx Mooty, will do...
Old 12-20-2009, 07:02 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Depends upon the car, engine I should say. Engines as they age can have their octane requirement increase by several points..

Octane requirements go up with compression in order to (help) prevent pre-ignition (detonation). That's about it...higher compression ratio, higher octane requirement. Higher octane fuel (in an engine not designed for higher compression ratio, hence higher performance, hence higher output) in a 'regular' engine will NOT yield increased performance.
As a matter of fact, you will begin to see HP actually DROP if a very high octane fuel is used in an engine not designed to use it, since the fuel won't ignite efficiently (cooler burn).

As an engine ages, 2 things can happen:
A. compression ratio goes up (due to carbon build up on the top of the cylinder), which BTW is a common trick in karting and why cc's are measured. This condition would require the use of higher octane fuel.
B. compression ration goes down (due to rings, cylinder, blow by, valves, etc). This conditino would NOT require the use of higher octane fuel.

I don't know exactly how much these ECU's can retard timing, but when (pre)detonation is detected, timing is retarded. Of course the last failsafe is to simply cut the spark (similar to a rev limiter).
Old 12-20-2009, 08:51 AM
daedton
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

It never surprises me the wealth of information you all know! 91 is the easiest octane to find here in CO, although there's a place selling 93 not to far from Boulder. I'll be running 91 I'm sure as I'll probably blow most of the tank on the way to the track! As one rennlister said, it's December, we're in CO and it will be 50 degrees and Sunny...so off to the track! Now I'm wondering what the stock brake fluid is in the RS? Thanks again!

07 RS
98 C2S
97 C4S
77 911S
Old 12-20-2009, 09:26 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
Meanwhile Mike we have 2' of snow, go figure
As CJ says, here in New Jersey we have almost 24" of snow and there is a track event going on in Colorado in the 50's. Go Figure!
Old 12-20-2009, 10:28 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daedton
Now I'm wondering what the stock brake fluid is in the RS? Thanks again!
I would HIGHLY recommend replacing that brake fluid if you have stock in there. I prefer Motul or SRF. I consider this a minimum requirement to track the car.

Note that you have to replace it all, not just flush because they aren't compatible.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:10 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
As CJ says, here in New Jersey we have almost 24" of snow and there is a track event going on in Colorado in the 50's. Go Figure!
Hahaha, but also didn't Texas and Florida have snow a few weeks ago (parts of those places) but he had 60+ degree weather Craziness indeed... Let's buy some winter awd mobiles, and do the Monticello winter days ... Evo's and Sti's?? LOL, maybe even a GTR hmmmm!
Old 12-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny because on my 996 GT3 I sometimes used 100 octane if it was really hot, figured it could not hurt except for my wallet. Never had an issue. Car did not feel any slower or faster, but since I came out of a 500HP 930S on CIS, I know how expense detonation gets even though all new cars have knock sensors.
The 2 times that I've run 98 in the RS, I got a check engine light. I still get my gas at the track but just the 93, but at the track it is ethanol free. But I've learned my lesson, no more 98 for me since I hate going to the dealer just to check out the CEL.
Goes without saying that I never put leaded in the car.

Quick Reply: What's the highest octane you can put in an RS?