Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Dynamic Engine Mts...retrofit = not

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:59 AM
GT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if they can go on a 07 turbo i'll install them too. I switched to the stiffer ones a while back and I could tell exactly the difference in ride quality on bumps etc when i switched..
Please let us know if they can also be fitted in earlier cars like mine as well. I would be interested even if they only get activated with the Sport button.. (no automatic switching back and forth).
Old 11-18-2009, 09:21 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GT
if they can go on a 07 turbo i'll install them too. I switched to the stiffer ones a while back and I could tell exactly the difference in ride quality on bumps etc when i switched..
Please let us know if they can also be fitted in earlier cars like mine as well. I would be interested even if they only get activated with the Sport button.. (no automatic switching back and forth).
If this is how you would want them to function, it should be very easy with a good auto electrician. Assuming they fit in a turbo (most likely do...) you would just have them wired to the sport button via relay... The OEM cabling won't be in your car... Push Sport button- stiff, switch it off- soft ride. What you can't do is have the computer controlled ability of the 2010 cars as presumably, they required module or outputs that won't be present in your car...
Old 11-18-2009, 01:57 PM
GT
Instructor

To be honest I think that would be good enough... It may be possible to get a signal from the PSAM but likely too much of an experiment.. So on/off will be just fine.
I will explore this..
Old 11-18-2009, 04:32 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bob_dallas
I have them but haven't driven one without so hard to say definitively. I'm definitely not opposed to them. I'm also not going to concoct some story about how wonderful they are and I can tell exactly when they adjust. The car is great on the roads, and very crisp on the track but you would have to compare '10 GT3 with and without to get a good feel since the suspension is so different from the MKI or anything else.
Bob, do you notice any NVH coming from the door panels at 3,000rpm when cruising on the highway in non-sport mode. What happens if you switch to sport mode and run the same test at 3,000rpm?
Old 11-18-2009, 06:31 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Bob, do you notice any NVH coming from the door panels at 3,000rpm when cruising on the highway in non-sport mode. What happens if you switch to sport mode and run the same test at 3,000rpm?
I haven't but I rarely drive without sport mode on. I'm currently on vacation but heading back tomorrow so I can give it a try when I'm back.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:06 AM
GT
Instructor

The problem is we dont know what kind of signal they require to get activated.. Does anyone have this information by any chance as i cannot find it? I am willing to be the first to try to do this if i get this info..
I want to try to have it work with the PASM sport button
Old 01-07-2010, 11:05 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine that is the lead tech at the dealer said he can not find any details on the mounts and how to retro fit. This was as of last week.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:10 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There should be a retrofit, but it may also require an ECU updgrade and wiring harnesses. With auto dimming mirrors and rain sensor, for example, you can retrofit. You have to wire in new wiring harnesses. The harnesses for PDEM should be available through parts. The active part of them means they have to act of a computer based on sensor inputs. The question is, how are they controlled? As the Dynamic Engine Mounts are part of the PSM/PASM programming I would expect any retrofit to include at least an ECU flash.

...of course you could also just find a car that already has them.

My experience so far is I don't notice any noise or vibration. In sport mode, the car picks up immediately and feels like it has a lightweight flywheel. Ride is dead soft in non-sport mode, much softer than a 991.1 GT3 or even a Panamera. Part of this may also be due to the PDEM.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:52 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what's the consensus on this? Has anyone tried the retrofit of PDEM?
Old 02-07-2011, 05:48 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to see the concensus as to how much of a difference it makes. And i am talking real difference, not "between your 2 ears" difference.

the 997.2 gt3 is more comfortable on the street than the .1, mainly due to the revised suspension, even without dynamic engine mounts.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
I want to see the concensus as to how much of a difference it makes. And i am talking real difference, not "between your 2 ears" difference.

the 997.2 gt3 is more comfortable on the street than the .1, mainly due to the revised suspension, even without dynamic engine mounts.
I think this is going to be difficult to quantify, unless you can 'back-to-back' a pair of cars with and without PDEM ...

Best I can do is to say that my .2 with PDEM turns in much better than my .1 (even with the GT2 rear swaybar) ... is this because of PDEM or not? I cant say.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:23 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I spoke to some techs and they all said that PDEM cannot be retrofitted unless you can get the car re flashed. Its not just a plug and play.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by vbmw335i
I spoke to some techs and they all said that PDEM cannot be retrofitted unless you can get the car re flashed. Its not just a plug and play.
correct, a tech equiped with a PIWIS would have to enable PDEM once physically connected.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:27 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
For what it's worth, my '11 GT3 optioned with DEM has a lot of NVH at around 3k rpm cruising on the highway in non-sport mode as well as sport mode. Vibration, rattling and buzzing sounds from the door panels, etc, which I just assumed to be normal being that this current GT3 has even less sound insulation from the factory than the previous generation.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I consider it a "must have" option for the track.

Quick Reply: Dynamic Engine Mts...retrofit = not