Old 09-22-2009, 03:25 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd keep in mind a few facts here.

1. he knows he's wrong
2. he knows it's a matter of time
3. he has a lot to lose

having him know you're in it for the long haul is one of your best leverage points.

remember, when you corner an animal, show him the way out, or he'll attack. in this case, the current way out is restitution and you go away. the next alternative will be an order of magnitude more difficult, and so on.

good luck and thanks for sharing this.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:29 AM
ThatOneGuy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Or is this the first (obvious) sign that Canepa's business is in trouble?
Could be the case because frankly, I'm shocked. I had the good fortune to visit Canepa Design for a BMWCCA event and was very impressed with the shop. I had even considered a pristine, low miles '88 930 slope they had on offer. Glad I didn't pursue it. I re-read the 996 link for the car in question and if your information is correct, misleading is an understatement.

The Porsche community is way to small for this kind of bs, especially for these kinds of boutique dealers. The smart move would have been to buy back the car quietly. It's going to very hard to move it now that it's infamous. Once word is out I can't imagine anyone not having very serious doubts about doing business with them in future. Bad.

Sorry for your trouble, good luck.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:16 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Amazing. But how do you know that Canepa knew the title was washed? How do you prove that?

Hope this gets resolved soon for the OP.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 28 Posts

In today's environment of the internet, I find it hard to believe a business wouldn't do anything and everything to make sure the customer is happy. Court case or not, the publicity of one customer's frustrations will cost the business much more than settling with the customer once word gets out (as it is now).
Old 09-22-2009, 11:24 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

To the OP, very sorry to hear about your predicament...

If the dealer is going to play it tough... don't cover the car up and spend another $50k on lawyers and costs.... Firstly, as mentioned by a few of the others, get a lawyer to attempt to negotiate a resolution for you. Failing that, pull the cover off your car, laminate a copy of your proof and park it outside the dealership everyday with a sign saying "this is what the local dealers sell- restored wrecks as NEW!"

The pleasure of watching him go out of business will go a long way towards addressing the pain you're feeling at having been screwed... Whats best is that he can't even touch you for disclosing the truth (something he should have done), especially if he isn't named... just the fact that your car is parked outside his lot will be suggestive enough.

Best of luck,
Chris
Old 09-22-2009, 11:24 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Why you and I'm guessing, Canepa as well, didn't run a carfax report is beyond me. It clearly states salvage title on there.

I find it very difficult to believe that neither one of you ran the report.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:41 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Just out of curiosity did you or an agent on your behalf inspect the car prior to purchase? I don't believe I missed that in the original posting. Unfortunately, the flip side of caveat emptor is due diligence or did you believe it was reasonable to assume that the reputation of the selling dealer was impeccable? Unless the dealer is willing to make some agreement w/ you, I'm sorry to say that the legal system likely will only add to your costs in both money and time. Hope you can work it out.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:42 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Or is this the first (obvious) sign that Canepa's business is in trouble?
I think this is what we are seeing here.

Personally, I'm shocked and hugely disappointed. Canepa is (was) a hero to the Porsche community. The cars that have been through his shop is like a who's who list of the finest examples of Porsche eng. and manufacturing. His reputation has been beyond reproach. That's how he was able to charge customers 20, 30, 40% over market for his products and services. People are willing to pony up the cash if they KNOW they don't have to worry about whom they are dealing with.

I wish the OP luck with this, and my condolence. However, for Canepa to be pulling a stunt like this could be a sign that bankruptcy is around the corner. I imagine it will become like getting water out of a rock after that happens.

Phil
Old 09-22-2009, 12:10 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brendorenn
i'd keep in mind a few facts here.

1. he knows he's wrong
2. he knows it's a matter of time
3. he has a lot to lose

having him know you're in it for the long haul is one of your best leverage points.

remember, when you corner an animal, show him the way out, or he'll attack. in this case, the current way out is restitution and you go away. the next alternative will be an order of magnitude more difficult, and so on.

good luck and thanks for sharing this.
Agreed!

What a nightmare, something no one should have to go through! Shocked you didn't run a carfax first thing, but with such an impeccable reputation and the glee of seeing a "mint and pristine cherry" of a car that you want badly, I can see how it is often overlooked at first. I almost did the same way too many times!
Old 09-22-2009, 12:25 PM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC123
Although in defense of this dealer I do want to point out that the miles on the car I do believe to be correct, and in addition as of yet I have not been able to find any evidence that the car ever was used in the rain as he said ! So lets get this straight I bought a 1996 2700 mile 993 turbo that was a total loss by the insurance company in 98, rebuilt with used parts in Brooklyn, sat never titled anyplace in the country till 09 but it was never driven in the rain and don't forget the special "werks " center console. And how much do I have invested in the car including tax and shipping , 100k ! Man his feels good I might have to get a federalized 959 tomorrow to add to the collection. GIVE ME A BREAK .
Regrettably, I have my doubts about that, too. Looking at the interior photos, there is no way the steering wheel should have that 'glossy' look, or the seats that worn look, on a 2700 mile car. I bought a '94 Turbo S Flachbau awhile back with 2400 miles and it had that 'satin' look you would find in a new car. A car 'rarely' driven should not show that kind of wear... I certainly have never seen that. Really a disappointing story. Canepa has more to lose than you even, if he does not step up and do the right thing. All the best to you.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
To the OP, very sorry to hear about your predicament...

If the dealer is going to play it tough... don't cover the car up and spend another $50k on lawyers and costs.... Firstly, as mentioned by a few of the others, get a lawyer to attempt to negotiate a resolution for you. Failing that, pull the cover off your car, laminate a copy of your proof and park it outside the dealership everyday with a sign saying "this is what the local dealers sell- restored wrecks as NEW!"

The pleasure of watching him go out of business will go a long way towards addressing the pain you're feeling at having been screwed... Whats best is that he can't even touch you for disclosing the truth (something he should have done), especially if he isn't named... just the fact that your car is parked outside his lot will be suggestive enough.

Best of luck,
Chris
I don't want to come over as the holier than thou type, but I don't think anyone should be looking to destroy Canepa's business. If he has destroyed his own reputation in this con job, he's made his own bed. But destroying the business will put employees on the street and leave customers stranded as well as removing a big spender from the car enthusiast ranks. If anything, I think it's reasonable to expect that if he's running his company into bankruptcy, he'll get away with all his money and only his creditors and his staff will get screwed, especially if it turns out he's an unethical shyster. And innocent until proven guilty still applies!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:24 PM
diethelm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Under Arizona Statute, a state licensed dealer has an obligation to proactively disclose if a car being sold has a salvage title.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting information on the 959 in the US

Greg A
Old 09-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg A
The thot plickens. Looks like Mr Canepa has a "checkered" history in more ways than one.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:02 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,326 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg A

Oh dear...

Please don't believe everything you read in that thread. There is a very good reason we decided not to run that letter (though not one I am willing to disclose publically). While it's been a long time, I believe there are misrepresentations and/or biased interpretations of the truth in some of the accusations as they pertain to Excellence. There are some good points, as well. As to the comments on Canepa within, consider that bias/personal interest may be at work.

As to the OP in this thread, I am very sorry to hear of your trouble. Like everyone else here, I hope you can come to a satisfactory resolution, and quickly. In fairness to the business you've posted about (as you do not directly link it yourself, though it appears others have made the obvious link), I suspect there are two sides to the story. And there are questions as to who knew what, when. That said, it sure doesn't look good — for any of the parties involved.

Again, I hope this will be resolved. But I also hope it doesn't devolve into a web witch hunt with all the usual "expert" comments from people who don't have a real lay of the land.

Not that that's ever happened before...

pete

Quick Reply: dealer sold me salvaged turbo no disclosure