Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Overrev Report

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 09:23 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GrantG
Not all spins are the same. In some cases (keeping your foot on the gas), you can light up the rear tires in the fwd direction even with the car pointed backwards relative to the track (especially when in the grass/dirt/gravel/wet).

Other times (foot off the gas and car stays on the dry tarmac), you can have the wheels spinning backwards (and the engine too if you don't press the clutch pedal). Believe me, it has happened many times to many people...

Overrevving in reverse direction is not the fear (that is virtually impossible), it's counter-rotating the motor that is bad (timing chains and other parts don't like that on some models).
do you mean by "counter-rotating" the motor, applying a driveshaft going one way to a crank spinning another? or ???
Old 10-11-2009, 01:16 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,145 Likes on 2,901 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
do you mean by "counter-rotating" the motor, applying a driveshaft going one way to a crank spinning another? or ???
No, I mean the engine spinning the opposite direction to how it always spins when operating properly.

In a 911, the motor spins clockwise as viewed from behind the car - it could be made to spin counterclockwise in the scenario I mentioned above.

Yes, this would happen due to the wheels (half-shafts) spinning backwards through tires with lots of grip, causing the motor to reverse directions (if the clutch pedal is not pressed).

When rotating the engine for a valve adjustment (air-cooled 911's), it is said that you can damage the engine even by counter-rotating the engine with your wrench by hand (less than 1 rpm). So, it doesn't take much counter-rotating to screw things up (no need to reverse the engine at high revs to hurt it).

Last edited by GrantG; 10-11-2009 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Overrev Report