Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Conclusion after seeing it live: The new GT3 RS will be a classic!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 06:15 AM
Stockholm996TT
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Conclusion after seeing it live: The new GT3 RS will be a classic!

I had the chance to see, feel and hear the new GT3 RS (grey with red) live in Weissach last Friday and also chat for a while with the team behind the car. Unfortunately we were not allowed to take any pictures.

My impressions of the much debated looks:

- I now love the new look! The car looks really cool with the new graphics and details “live”! Based on the pictures from the press release I was skeptical of both the grey colour and the graphics (my RS.1. was orange/black), but when you see it live, standing in front of you, it works perfectly. The red for the graphics seems deeper than that on the 996 RS and really stands out from the grey. Very much “in your face”! The grey is medium dark and solid – a completely new Porsche colour apparently. My recommendation until you have seen the car live: Keep the contrasting details/ graphics – I don’t think you will regret it.

- The wheels, especially the rear ones, are just incredible! With more offset, the 325 tires, in red with the black centre bolt this could very well be coolest wheel I have seen!

- The whole rear part of the car is much “rawer” than on the 997 RS.1. The wing is not on one plane, but slightly higher in the middle. The air intake behind the rear window is quite a bit larger than the two small ones on the RS.1. It looks more like the air intake on the roof of an “Alzen Turbo”!

- The interior is quite similar to the RS.1., but the combination effect of the red roll cage, the red RS 3.8 text on the seats, the red seat belts and the red door straps is nice

- You just have to love the door straps!

- I got to see a second car in aqua blue with the wheels in white gold (but no graphics). I was worried that this would look a bit like a Subaru Impreza, but it does not at all. The gold is not yellow as on the press pictures, but “whiter” and goes very well with the deep blue metallic. Highly recommended! A cool and fresh combination!

Some further information:

- The 245 Cup tires in the front are a completely new development by Michelin with “massive” grip that in combination with the new chassis will make the car steer in and hold better trough the curves. Quote from the team: ”The new RS feels like a go kart! The difference between the 997 RS.2. and 997 RS.1. is even larger than the difference between the 997 GT3.1. and the 997 GT3.2”. I can’t wait to drive it!!!

- The new PSM system was described to me as a “white sheet” approach to the ESP of a race car. The car will apparently still be honest and predictable and just add that extra little assistance when necessary. Porsche’s factory drivers are as quick, or quicker with the PSM on – even in the dry! And listen to this: They are especially proud of how the PSM works during changing conditions, e.g. when you missed a wet spot on the track, or when one wheel by mistake was placed a few cm into the grass next to the asphalt. Perhaps this will be the end of all the GT3s on the parking lot at the Nürburgring when it rains? Just what I need!

- With the new air intake for the rear brakes underneath the car, the temperature of the brakes is reduced by typically 50 degrees Celsius. The wear of the rear pads is thereby reduced and is now about the same as for the front pads. Finally! Can be retrofitted on the GT3.1. and the RS.1.

- The PCCB and the steel discs are of the same dimension. It requires reprogramming the ABS, but they can be interchanged!

- The new RS 3.8 engine has slightly less torque than the GT3.2. in the low end, but in exchange “explodes” at the top. With the changed gear ratios and the single mass flywheel this will make the RS.2. more of a race car vs. the GT3.2. and the RS.1. Yihaa!!

I did not get to drive the car, but I was very impressed with what I experienced – it feels like a more complete car than the 997 RS.1. I have a feeling that this will be an absolute classic and something that I will keep for a long time: Much improved driving vs. the RS.1., increased safety with ESP e.g. in the wet at the Ring (without losing the fun) and of course the benefit of fresh and more aggressive looks!

I can’t wait!
Old 09-08-2009, 06:54 AM
Turbo4ever
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great news, thanks.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:13 AM
YearOne
Racer

I keep umming and ahhing about this car and whether I should blow the cash on one but i suspect more info like this and any road tests will make the decision for me....

I think Grey with red is the way to go too although white with red is classic.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:54 AM
olha
Advanced

Sounds great! Just finalised my purchase with delivery in april :-D
Old 09-08-2009, 10:59 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Good write up.

Sounds like it should be a very impressive car.

I'll take two!

Anyone what to lend me the cash?

I'd happily pay you back Tue. for an RS today.

Phil
Old 09-08-2009, 11:04 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Good write up.

Sounds like it should be a very impressive car.

I'll take two!

Anyone what to lend me the cash?

I'd happily pay you back Tue. for an RS today.

Phil
Hamburger... Wimpy, from what I remember?
Old 09-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm?? I guess we will soon be able to purchase 245 N rated MPSC's??
Old 09-08-2009, 02:56 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Originally Posted by dertub
Hamburger... Wimpy, from what I remember?
DING, DING,DING,

We have a winner!!!

After I wrote that it took me a few minutes to remember his name was Wimpy.

Again, excellent write up. I want one.

Pay you back next Tue.?

Phil
Old 09-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
DING, DING,DING,

We have a winner!!!

After I wrote that it took me a few minutes to remember his name was Wimpy.

Again, excellent write up. I want one.

Pay you back next Tue.?

Phil
"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today". Funny quote seeing how today is infact Tuesday!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:59 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Stockholm, can you tell us if the graphics were decals? ie. the flags on the sides.
thanks
Old 09-10-2009, 12:13 AM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

OOOOOHHHHH I can't wait!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:41 AM
9fan64
Intermediate

Thank you for the comforting and confidence words ,looking forward to see more of Gen II RS...
Old 09-10-2009, 01:00 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Originally Posted by GTEE3
Stockholm, can you tell us if the graphics were decals? ie. the flags on the sides.
thanks
Has to be decals. No one paints on graphics anymore.

Phil
Old 09-10-2009, 01:49 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stockholm996TT
I had the chance to see, feel and hear the new GT3 RS (grey with red) live in Weissach last Friday and also chat for a while with the team behind the car. Unfortunately we were not allowed to take any pictures.

My impressions of the much debated looks:

- I now love the new look! The car looks really cool with the new graphics and details “live”! Based on the pictures from the press release I was skeptical of both the grey colour and the graphics (my RS.1. was orange/black), but when you see it live, standing in front of you, it works perfectly. The red for the graphics seems deeper than that on the 996 RS and really stands out from the grey. Very much “in your face”! The grey is medium dark and solid – a completely new Porsche colour apparently. My recommendation until you have seen the car live: Keep the contrasting details/ graphics – I don’t think you will regret it.

- The wheels, especially the rear ones, are just incredible! With more offset, the 325 tires, in red with the black centre bolt this could very well be coolest wheel I have seen!

- The whole rear part of the car is much “rawer” than on the 997 RS.1. The wing is not on one plane, but slightly higher in the middle. The air intake behind the rear window is quite a bit larger than the two small ones on the RS.1. It looks more like the air intake on the roof of an “Alzen Turbo”!

- The interior is quite similar to the RS.1., but the combination effect of the red roll cage, the red RS 3.8 text on the seats, the red seat belts and the red door straps is nice

- You just have to love the door straps!

- I got to see a second car in aqua blue with the wheels in white gold (but no graphics). I was worried that this would look a bit like a Subaru Impreza, but it does not at all. The gold is not yellow as on the press pictures, but “whiter” and goes very well with the deep blue metallic. Highly recommended! A cool and fresh combination!

Some further information:

- The 245 Cup tires in the front are a completely new development by Michelin with “massive” grip that in combination with the new chassis will make the car steer in and hold better trough the curves. Quote from the team: ”The new RS feels like a go kart! The difference between the 997 RS.2. and 997 RS.1. is even larger than the difference between the 997 GT3.1. and the 997 GT3.2”. I can’t wait to drive it!!!

- The new PSM system was described to me as a “white sheet” approach to the ESP of a race car. The car will apparently still be honest and predictable and just add that extra little assistance when necessary. Porsche’s factory drivers are as quick, or quicker with the PSM on – even in the dry! And listen to this: They are especially proud of how the PSM works during changing conditions, e.g. when you missed a wet spot on the track, or when one wheel by mistake was placed a few cm into the grass next to the asphalt. Perhaps this will be the end of all the GT3s on the parking lot at the Nürburgring when it rains? Just what I need!

- With the new air intake for the rear brakes underneath the car, the temperature of the brakes is reduced by typically 50 degrees Celsius. The wear of the rear pads is thereby reduced and is now about the same as for the front pads. Finally! Can be retrofitted on the GT3.1. and the RS.1.

- The PCCB and the steel discs are of the same dimension. It requires reprogramming the ABS, but they can be interchanged!

- The new RS 3.8 engine has slightly less torque than the GT3.2. in the low end, but in exchange “explodes” at the top. With the changed gear ratios and the single mass flywheel this will make the RS.2. more of a race car vs. the GT3.2. and the RS.1. Yihaa!!

I did not get to drive the car, but I was very impressed with what I experienced – it feels like a more complete car than the 997 RS.1. I have a feeling that this will be an absolute classic and something that I will keep for a long time: Much improved driving vs. the RS.1., increased safety with ESP e.g. in the wet at the Ring (without losing the fun) and of course the benefit of fresh and more aggressive looks!

I can’t wait!
Thanks for the post? Any pics perhaps posted anonymously to a Web site? (I find "amateur" pics can be more real than pro shots.)
Old 09-10-2009, 01:53 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stockholm996TT
I have a feeling that this will be an absolute classic and something that I will keep for a long time:
Tis sounds like exactly the same feeling many of us experienced when the 997.1 RS arrived.
Much improved driving vs. the RS.1., increased safety with ESP e.g. in the wet at the Ring (without losing the fun)
I agree that TC makes the car a lot more useful and practical (especially when pro drivers report that it doesn't slow their hot lap times.)

Quick Reply: Conclusion after seeing it live: The new GT3 RS will be a classic!