Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum-141/)
-   -   Champion Motors files Chapter 11 (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/500619-champion-motors-files-chapter-11-a.html)

Nizer 05-12-2009 12:17 PM

Champion Motors files Chapter 11

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflor...4/daily70.html

Dealers stuffed with cars they can't sell. PAG buried in debt. A new high-priced front-engine model released. Reminds me of the 70's & 80's....

tcsracing1 05-12-2009 02:58 PM

they still have that 2007 RS black with red? they wanted 148k for it.....

NoSubEDU 05-12-2009 03:18 PM

Somebody should write the editor...

The bankruptcy only affects the Porshe and Audi car dealership division of the company...
Ouch.

OldGuy 05-12-2009 07:39 PM

And I cant get anyone to sellme a turbo at a decent price and they go down the tubes

mooty 05-12-2009 08:27 PM

^ the reality is champion may not be in "bankruptcy". the legal term "bankruptcy" usually means you got lots of money, but just hidden from creditors.

enthusiast 05-12-2009 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by NoSubEDU (Post 6561760)
Somebody should write the editor...

Ouch.

Actually I believe that is correct. They sold the 'c' to build up their cash reserves.

P.J.S. 05-13-2009 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by tcsracing1 (Post 6561708)
they still have that 2007 RS black with red? they wanted 148k for it.....

this one:
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c...MitsuGT3RS.jpg

I have not seen it on ebay or cars.com in a while... I know it was a consignment car and when I was there less than a year ago, they quoted me $175K and then I watched the buy it now price go down and down to the high $140s and have not seen it since...

JohnnyBahamas 05-13-2009 02:14 AM

Though I'm not happy to read this, I am not surprised. I mean really people, it is 2009 and Champion's website SUCKED ash bats. Couldn't even view inventory pics and details.

Let this be a lesson for others... sucky website = bankruptcy.

MJones 05-13-2009 10:35 AM

Interestingly Champion is a Top performer for monthly Porsche vehicle sales #1 for 2008

:confused:

Nizer 05-13-2009 10:40 AM

OldGuy: Can't believe I'm actually saying this but you're living in the wrong part of the country. My dealer (Boston area) is offering $20k off list on Turbos.

triode 05-13-2009 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas (Post 6563476)
Though I'm not happy to read this, I am not surprised. I mean really people, it is 2009 and Champion's website SUCKED ash bats. Couldn't even view inventory pics and details.

Let this be a lesson for others... sucky website = bankruptcy.

they are my local dealer and I check the website all the time. It's the standard PCNA site format and full details are always available for all new and used cars.

TRAKCAR 05-13-2009 05:04 PM

That's my dealer also, I hope they will be OK.

Bob Rouleau 05-13-2009 05:55 PM

My guess is Champion's problem is related to financing and not being able to roll over loans. They might have a mortgage on the buildings which they can't refinance, or, they have been asked to pay down several million on the floor plan... I suppose details will come out.

One of the problems all car dealers face is much tightened credit for buyers/leasers. Porsche Finance is a lot fussier about credit scores, even in Canada where no banking crisis exists. Add to that much lower margins and perhaps excess inventory and you have a perfect storm brewing. I suspect this is what Chris was hinting at.

mooty 05-13-2009 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by MJones (Post 6563886)
Interestingly Champion is a Top performer for monthly Porsche vehicle sales #1 for 2008

:confused:

i bet their other "hedges" failed, margin calls on securities or RE....thus need to hide assets.
i think i am bankrupt. i need bail out from PAG. a garden variety, zero option RS in any color would do. i am not picky.

Crazy Canuck 05-13-2009 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau (Post 6565101)
My guess is Champion's problem is related to financing and not being able to roll over loans. They might have a mortgage on the buildings which they can't refinance, or, they have been asked to pay down several million on the floor plan... I suppose details will come out.

One of the problems all car dealers face is much tightened credit for buyers/leasers. Porsche Finance is a lot fussier about credit scores, even in Canada where no banking crisis exists. Add to that much lower margins and perhaps excess inventory and you have a perfect storm brewing. I suspect this is what Chris was hinting at.

I would second Bob's suspicions.

A big problem, hidden from consumers, is a lack of credit at the wholesale level. Banks and finance companies are being much stingier.

Anyone who has commercial mortgages coming due now is in for a shock. Traditional sources of capital just aren't there anymore and those that are are much more expensive and their terms stink.

Banks and wholesale (floorplan) companies want equity and they want cash. They are squeezing companies. Ask me how I know.