mooty is out of it.... ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:02 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,757 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
What muffler? Mooty's bsr has a muffler- it's really loud. I could hear him all over the track at sp. Conditions weren't that great at sp. I took my gti with semibald slicks- boy was that fun- I was on a skating rink. My bad I spun twice on 1st session plus 7 other cars. Locked my brakes before t4 and lap later spun at exit of carousel- lucky I didn't rollover-got stuck and they had to pull my car out. Mooty u should have Joe Wong autograph the scrape rear fender and date it( your 1st car to car contact). Mike
no, i was "contacted".
i was merely driving away from the track and into the dirt as far as i can.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:30 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
you fedex me an iphone i will take pix.
i am still home "paying" for my absentia during valentine's day.
Ha very funny cause I'm so retarded with phones. Mine doesn't do anything but dial phone numbers......
Old 02-17-2009, 12:19 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

you fedex me an iphone i will take pix.
i am still home "paying" for my absentia during valentine's day.
Oh crap, if your wife is anythng like mine, you could be paying for that until the end ot March........ 2011!
Old 02-17-2009, 02:39 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John: If you have a NASA rookie license that's all you need. You can run your BSR car and race against whoever is the same speed as you are. The Spec911 guys run as fast as 2:03 at TH and about 1:50 at SP (IIRC). Sign up for a race on the NASA web site and contact Masuo Robinson. I think the info is on the PRC web site www.prc-racing.com
Old 02-17-2009, 06:08 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Default pix added

sorry, blurry, phone camera and shaky hands.

Last edited by mooty; 05-26-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Blondurant
Racer

So, my race car, a BSR, got finished on 2/12/09 tue. And on 2/13/08 Friday I got it on TH. T. Colicchio and I tested the car. Drives like a mini cup car, sounds better than any of my GT3’s. sorry, sharkey, but it sounds better than your bypass too, and MUCH MUCH MUCH louder. So loud, that I got pulled over on fwy. I was not speeding, I was pulled over for noise. Charming me, talked my way out of a tix. Ok…. Good.

While on track, the car is very neutral, very easy to drive. I have been doing some crazy things that I would never do in GT3. You guys don’t know what you are missing. Maybe I will take the RS motor out and see if I can stuff it into the box?

Anyways, my first test day = my first race (sort of an exhibition race, but it is W2W). the idiot I am, I told them my lap time 208 with bypass at TH (yes, I know it’s an awful slow time). Well, I was put on pole. This is with 997gt3 cup car, viper comp coup, tube frame corvette with must have been 5000hp (yes 5 thousand, not type)… no I wasn’t fast, I just got sand bagged. Anyways, green dropped, cup car blew by me, but I held off a mustang racecar. And I was at P3….. T2 lap 1 in the wet, cup car spun…. Fun incident…. I made out all right… finished the race, I think only one mustang and corvette beat me, but then again, most other fast car was taken out hahah… mind you this is Friday 13th.

Ok, after having enough fun on track, it’s time to go home. Oh… I don’t have a trailer, so I have to drive my race car, no window, no rear windshield, no heater, no radio… 200 miles home in pouring rain. I had three layers of thermo fleece on and two layers of sweatpants, then my driving suit on with driving gloves still freezing… almost home… siren…. CHP thought my car was cool and wanted to have a chat with me….

Finally home. Still pouring rain… saw the big dent on fender, not liking it…. Decided to detail the car in pouring rain.. neighbors came by they think I am really a goner now ;-) sorry for the rambling, back to detaling, car is on jack stands now waiting for wax.

Note to self, need to buy trailer.
Further note to self, having spend valentine’s day at sears point and thunderhill Is not going to win many points with wife…

But did I mention that I like the BSR so much that I think I might dump the RS…

We got 5 BSR in norcal, 10-12 in socal. C’mon add a few more cars for nor cal. We need to fun.

Yes, I know I know, will post pix when I get to it.
Great read! Thanks for the post. And guess what... the visions of a Cup that danced in my head... going Spec Box. A super spec class is being formed so I'm checking that out as well. Keeping the 3 to satisfy my speed addiction.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:18 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Blondurant
Great read! Thanks for the post. And guess what... the visions of a Cup that danced in my head... going Spec Box. A super spec class is being formed so I'm checking that out as well. Keeping the 3 to satisfy my speed addiction.
yes, the RS fulfilled my speed addiction, though i just been offered a CGT at a very good price.....

i have been following the super box spec... i think it is at least 2 years away, but those texans are unpredictable ;-)

last i heard was 2.9L with LSD and maybe a few hundred pounds less and hoosier? ah, this never ends does it.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Blondurant
Racer

yes, the RS fulfilled my speed addiction, though i just been offered a CGT at a very good price.....

i have been following the super box spec... i think it is at least 2 years away, but those texans are unpredictable ;-)

last i heard was 2.9L with LSD and maybe a few hundred pounds less and hoosier? ah, this never ends does it.
Yes! ~2,600 lbs, driver and all. Us Texans are just trying to be as cool as you NoCals. I sure hope it never ends!

I want a ride in the CGT. At Laguna.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:15 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

I like the concept of SSB as mine is rather the outlaw and does not qauli as BSR. Great cars I am hopefull they become the 944 of this gen (no flames please)
Old 02-17-2009, 10:44 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes! ~2,600 lbs, driver and all. Us Texans are just trying to be as cool as you NoCals. I sure hope it never ends!
i think it can go to 2550 easily.

I want a ride in the CGT. At Laguna.
i was offered one, that's quite different than i was able to afford one.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:11 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Great story Mooty...what a weekend! Now go get your wife something nice!

Anyone know how a guy like me could drive a spec boxster? I can not push a clutch with my prosthetic left leg so I am wondering if anyone has seen a hand operated clutch attached to the gear shift? Or any other ideas?
Old 02-18-2009, 01:54 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
John/mooty: Will you also be racing PRC? Our first race is the week before the PCA race (and at SP - more fun). Note that PRC has finally quit fighting with Porsche and we are no longer allowed to call ourselves the Porsche Racing Club. POC is next ...

John/JR: I see you registered as GT3 for the PCA race and not BSR/SPBOX. What did you do to your car to change classes? What's your impression of it vs the cup car you had?
Hi TOm,

POC is sanctioned by Porsche so we're OK.....

I'm experimenting... starting with running at 2585, going another 50 lower with a CF hood and fenders. I've got an LSD, some Tarett bits, and 245 square Hoosiers on 9's. I tried to run at LV 2 weeks qualfying 3 seconds ahead of the fastes Spec Box. Unfortunately I popped off a shifter linkage on the start and was stuck in 3rd. gear. I'm off to Willow tomorrow for some testing....

For the near future I'm building a stock 2.7 which should give me an additional 40HP once the heads are cleaned up. It will still run GT4S, just a lot faster I hope. I may have to go to 285's in the back then....

Hope to see you at T-Hill....

JRG
Old 02-18-2009, 07:02 PM
gt3cup98
Racer

Man, now you have me looking at both finished Spec Boxster and ones that I can get done. Also wondering if I would be better off buying one with more power since we do not have a series in Florida. Was thinking about this awhile back and got it out of my head and now comes Mooty and here I go again. Maybe a Cayman just something that I am not afraid to drive in anger like the RS.
Boyd
Old 02-18-2009, 07:07 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gt3cup98
Man, now you have me looking at both finished Spec Boxster and ones that I can get done. Also wondering if I would be better off buying one with more power since we do not have a series in Florida. Was thinking about this awhile back and got it out of my head and now comes Mooty and here I go again. Maybe a Cayman just something that I am not afraid to drive in anger like the RS.
Boyd
get an early boxster, stuff in a 3.8L x51 and tell me how it works. then maybe i will build one too ;-)
Old 02-18-2009, 10:05 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

get an early boxster, stuff in a 3.8L x51 and tell me how it works. then maybe i will build one too ;-)
It's been done and will be at the next POC event. It turned 1:23's on it's first laps at WSIR and I expect it will run in the 1:22's when tuned. It was one of the original Spec Boxsters though it hardly resembles it now with a RSR front end, flared rear fenders w/a RSR rear bumper, and a big old wing back there. It's an incredible looking machine and I will post pics when it makes it's debut. It will compete in class with Garrett's incredible GT3 machine and John Payne's Yellow Bee. Of course the Cups and RSR's are in that group too. This will be a fun year to watch racing in the POC...

Quick Reply: mooty is out of it.... ramblings