GT2 RS Rumor...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:53 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
here's the big question- 430 Scud @ 265k or CGT for 340k?
If you pass on the CGT at $340K, PM me. I know some people looking hard for a "particular " car.

Carrera GT

Any CGT available at $300K you might not want to own.

With regards to which one?

If you want to "drive" fast .... CGT

If you want to "steer" fast... Scud

Difference is a 6 Speed transmission, that not every one can extract performance and lap times from.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:33 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,302 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
Have prices for the Scuderia really dropped that low?
for the coupe, with ~1000-2500 miles by june or so...

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
have a friend who just ordered a new Scud...............$365K. I think I would go for the GT2RS myself!!
365? that's 80 over list isn't it? LOL

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Very good points, all of them.

Personally, I think the Scuderia will become less appealing as soon as Ferrari reveals the replacement for the F430. The new car is supposed to be a lot lighter (totally new body) and more powerful.

The Carrera GT has tecnnology that we won't see in road cars (such as F430/GT3/Lambo) for many years. $300k for a Carrera GT is a total steal, considering that a lame Turbo Cab runs $150k.

The unknown on the CGT is maintenance. Cost of clutches, brake jobs, extra wheels, etc. It's not a car to bring to the track regularly, unless you have a $150k yearly budget for DE.
I agree that the CGT for the money is an amazing buy...but if you spend 150k on DE, it's time to go racing.

Originally Posted by am722
If I visited the track as often as you, I would get a cup before either of them (and before this supposed GT2 RS for that matter). But if you're talking in addition to a cup as a drive-every-once-in-a-while street car, then I'd go with the CGT as a purely personal preference. They are not getting any less cool, and the lack of e-nannies/gizmos is alluring.
yes. I've got a cup car purchase in the works right now

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
If you pass on the CGT at $340K, PM me. I know some people looking hard for a "particular " car.

Carrera GT

Difference is a 6 Speed transmission, that not every one can extract performance and lap times from.

in reality it would be something to go fast from time to time, not a track rat- I'm looking for much lower hp stuff such as a 997 cup car and a SRF to complement my MX-5 cup car for racing purposes.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

The unknown on the CGT is maintenance. Cost of clutches, brake jobs, extra wheels, etc. It's not a car to bring to the track regularly, unless you have a $150k yearly budget for DE.
We have a local guy who tracks his Carrera GT fairly regularly. According to him, he has one of the highest mileage GTs out there with one of the higher track mileages on a GT in the world. He's not hard on the car and has the original clutch and brake discs. He has damaged a wheel and a new one was almost $10k CDN. Nuts.

Oh man ... what a sound.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
We have a local guy who tracks his Carrera GT fairly regularly. According to him, he has one of the highest mileage GTs out there with one of the higher track mileages on a GT in the world. He's not hard on the car and has the original clutch and brake discs. He has damaged a wheel and a new one was almost $10k CDN. Nuts.

Oh man ... what a sound.
$10K for a wheel? ONE wheel? I'm out.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone

Carrera GT

I tend to agree that the Scuderia -- because of its F1 robotic clutch gearbox -- removes the driver from the "driving" role -- but only ever so slightly. To argue that the F1 'box removes the driver to being only a "steerer" would argue against the talents of some F1 pilots who'd beg to differ. : )

But with a robotic clutch gearbox, the machinery does the up-shifts, it does the rev-matching downshifts, it keeps the engine inside the red-line, but it has no other terms of intervention or "driver" responsibilities.

For the driver with F1, there's still every aspect of gear selection involved other than the physical activity of releasing and engaging the clutch plate, so I don't think it's so absolute.

PDK is far superior to F1 and (lately) I have no real desire to play with F1 in the Scuderia. Last year I was prepared to get a Scuderia regardless of the F1 box, but this year, given the market costs, there's just nowhere near the cost-benefit justification. I look forward to Brand F delivering their PDK (as per the California.) For the mean time, I'm looking for much bigger "bang per buck" track cars.

Also, to be clear, the Scuderia does not merit comparison to the Carrera GT -- it's just not in the same league. And with the collapse of the Ferrari resale market, the Scuderia can't be expected to compare with the Carrera GT on the balance sheet either.

For me, the prospect of, say, a $250-275K Carrera GT is much more realistic than it was the last time prices dipped to $300K. I'm sure I'm still guilty of shopping with Champagne tastes on a beer budget, but I have no qualms about a Carrera GT with a lot of miles so long as the provenance supports the claims that the really expensive stuff (chassis, running gear, brakes ... um ... engine ... gearbox ... ) can be delivered in confidence with a CPO. I'd expect to put maybe 2K miles per year -- almost entirely track miles -- on a Carrera GT if I was silly enough to add one to the garage.

My only real reservation would be the red tape to move the thing from the US to Australia without paying exorbitant government revenue (tax, levee, tariff) schemes. We'll see. If I have a few more days trading like last Friday, anything's possible.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:38 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I tend to agree that the Scuderia -- because of its F1 robotic clutch gearbox -- removes the driver from the "driving" role -- but only ever so slightly. To argue that the F1 'box removes the driver to being only a "steerer" would argue against the talents of some F1 pilots who'd beg to differ. : )

"Yes, but there is fast, and then there is F1 fast, so it is not an apples to apples comparison. What the F1 guys do and can do is beyond mere mortals, accomplished amateurs, semi pros and pro drivers. Yet, the F1 "poseurs" are not limited in their imagination or self delusion."

But with a robotic clutch gearbox, the machinery does the up-shifts, it does the rev-matching downshifts, it keeps the engine inside the red-line, but it has no other terms of intervention or "driver" responsibilities.

For the driver with F1, there's still every aspect of gear selection involved other than the physical activity of releasing and engaging the clutch plate, so I don't think it's so absolute.

"My experience says differently, and I am not the fastest guy on the block, but I can heel and toe with the best of them."

PDK is far superior to F1 and (lately) I have no real desire to play with F1 in the Scuderia. Last year I was prepared to get a Scuderia regardless of the F1 box, but this year, given the market costs, there's just nowhere near the cost-benefit justification. I look forward to Brand F delivering their PDK (as per the California.) For the mean time, I'm looking for much bigger "bang per buck" track cars.

"Agreed, PDK is far superior to F1, and all the carping about the pedals/buttons is mostly misinformed. To really use the PDK "fast" just flick the lever!"

Also, to be clear, the Scuderia does not merit comparison to the Carrera GT -- it's just not in the same league. And with the collapse of the Ferrari resale market, the Scuderia can't be expected to compare with the Carrera GT on the balance sheet either.

"Agreed, the importance now in acquiring a CGT is all about pedigree (ownership history, service records and condition), that in itself will bring about a wide disparity in desirability; some cars will never sell at any price."

For me, the prospect of, say, a $250-275K Carrera GT is much more realistic than it was the last time prices dipped to $300K. I'm sure I'm still guilty of shopping with Champagne tastes on a beer budget, but I have no qualms about a Carrera GT with a lot of miles so long as the provenance supports the claims that the really expensive stuff (chassis, running gear, brakes ... um ... engine ... gearbox ... ) can be delivered in confidence with a CPO. I'd expect to put maybe 2K miles per year -- almost entirely track miles -- on a Carrera GT if I was silly enough to add one to the garage.

"No CPO available on the CGT, do you think PCNA is crazy?"

My only real reservation would be the red tape to move the thing from the US to Australia without paying exorbitant government revenue (tax, levee, tariff) schemes. We'll see. If I have a few more days trading like last Friday, anything's possible.
"Bets on 1000 (up) points in Feb?"

Quick Reply: GT2 RS Rumor...