Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:45 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,308 Likes on 617 Posts

apologize for the OT here guys...

og- I've got no desire to buy snow property- I'll never be there and I'm not a skier/boarder nor are any of my homeys. I do recognize the income potential for places like mammoth and tahoe but the rising economic factors (especially high transportation costs) will really thin out the crop of potential vacationers in the next 10 years.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:35 AM
RSA333
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Juts another reply. I love and have raced 911 turbos. But as I may have said before, I bought a 997 GT2 and sold it almost immediately, and have passed on several GT2s at MSRP.

There is something visceral about my GT3RS that I can't seem to stop enjoying, both as a daily driver and on the track. I love some of the Ferraris and even Lambos, but can't see them as grocery-getters - I guess I like the beautiful girl next door more than the supermodel (like I would have a chance!).

Cheers- Gerry

07 GT3RS
Old 08-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by RSA333
Juts another reply. I love and have raced 911 turbos. But as I may have said before, I bought a 997 GT2 and sold it almost immediately, and have passed on several GT2s at MSRP.

There is something visceral about my GT3RS that I can't seem to stop enjoying, both as a daily driver and on the track. I love some of the Ferraris and even Lambos, but can't see them as grocery-getters - I guess I like the beautiful girl next door more than the supermodel (like I would have a chance!).

Cheers- Gerry

07 GT3RS
You've got an impressive list of cars owned there Gerry. Maybe share some pictures with the gang?
Old 08-18-2008, 11:56 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 160 Posts

I personally think the GT2 is not exotic enough to justify 200K. That is about the same value as my 07 F430. If it were a few bucks more than my 08 TT I might think about it but 70K more? I just passed on a really nice 02 GT2 at 75.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:00 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carcommander
I personally think the GT2 is not exotic enough to justify 200K. That is about the same value as my 07 F430. If it were a few bucks more than my 08 TT I might think about it but 70K more? I just passed on a really nice 02 GT2 at 75.
That GT2 you passed on must have been severely damaged.. You are hurting the market with your false market numbers, unless like I said it was very messed up previously or your buddy is giving you a deal!

These cars have stabilized and are NOWHERE near that price.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:08 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 611 Posts

Take money out of the equation, and make it JUST about driving, and I would definitely have a GT2 in addition to an RS.

I'd look at the GT3, and drive the GT2 (imagining that it looked like the RS) -- just the opposite of how I felt in the 996 era.

Put money back into the equation, and many of the comments here make a lot of sense. Very few can come at this without thinking about it. And I think the new GT2 will drop in value, possibly just like the last one did.

That's a pity, because where the last one seemed a ridiculous premium over the 996 Turbo, the new one's goodness and performance makes it seem like a good value to me. You could not approach the GT2's performance with a 997 GT3 or total goodness with a 997 Turbo for anywhere near the same money.

And we all know how aftermarket cars do on resale...

pete
Old 08-22-2008, 11:56 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Thanks gang for all the great comments. I decided to tap that ****, and ended up buying the black Gt2. it was between a white gt2 with silver wheels and the carbon folding seats and a mongo msrp, or a more simplistic bassalt gt2 with a fwe options, a 203ish msrp, black/grey wheels. i didnt love the silver on white, and owning a green RS that has a mongo MSRP, i just wanted something simple.a little deviating stitching, afew carbon pieces, chrono, etc. but then just keep it light so its fully approachable.

bot the black GT2, from jack Daniels in NJ, msrp. they were very nice about it and really did agood job in all aspects, though it was frankly a 1-2-3 simple deal.

I drove it a bit the last two days. My initial impressions are that its a great car. A beast for sure. I know some dont love bassalt but i've always loved colors like polar silver, artic silver, horizon blue, zenith blues..stuff with a shimmer, stuff thats not so flat. so while i have a love/hate relationship wth black usually, for the moment, lots of love.

the adaptive seats i like a lot and fit really well. considering im' a non-track street loving wimp, i'm not sure im missing much though those carbon folding seats look pretty slick. and maybe weigh a bit less?

the car rips. a total beast. i typically love the growl and sketchy-ness of the GT3RS, but this thing comes close. where there is ZERO comparison is the punch that the GT2 possesses. major major giddy up. you punch that pedal it spools and uncorks the heavy really quick, instant grin and satisfaction.

it slaloms thru turns and carves as well as the RS i think though not as linear as its a bit harder to time those surges in the engine power. but its really cool.

All things considered, as dudes mentioned up here, i fi had to make a choice between the two, i'd hands down (though kicking and screaming) live with my RS and say goodbye to heavy torque beast. i love that 3x RS like no other car i've had. it invokes a grin and smile all day. and the growl is contagious. but for the moment, they can co-exist as friends.

moneywise, its hard if not impossible to guess where they are going. well its likely they go lower, but i could easily see the 997 GT2 long term being a nice collectable piece. nothing will be a 993 GT2 or 993 Turbo S...those are the last of the non-technology laiden wonder cars. but i think the RS and GT2 are very very cool cars that hopefully willhold value.

or i'll be beetching them out like i did my 996 GT2 years ago!

thanks again. u can see some photos at www.911flatnose.com
Originally Posted by excmag
Take money out of the equation, and make it JUST about driving, and I would definitely have a GT2 in addition to an RS.

I'd look at the GT3, and drive the GT2 (imagining that it looked like the RS) -- just the opposite of how I felt in the 996 era.

Put money back into the equation, and many of the comments here make a lot of sense. Very few can come at this without thinking about it. And I think the new GT2 will drop in value, possibly just like the last one did.

That's a pity, because where the last one seemed a ridiculous premium over the 996 Turbo, the new one's goodness and performance makes it seem like a good value to me. You could not approach the GT2's performance with a 997 GT3 or total goodness with a 997 Turbo for anywhere near the same money.

And we all know how aftermarket cars do on resale...

pete
Old 08-22-2008, 12:17 PM
nahtnoj
Intermediate

Checked out the pics - awesome doesn't begin to describe it!

Its the 3rd or 4th GT2 I've seen with kinda random stitching though. Why not just one option code for the whole interior? It seems the shifter boot almost always gets missed.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:22 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

i agree. go deviated all throughout, or not at all.
but its really not noticeable once you push the gas pedal down just a biT!!<G> all you notice is the car being propelled forward like the Millenium Falcon when Chewy punches it into hyper drive.

Originally Posted by nahtnoj
Checked out the pics - awesome doesn't begin to describe it!

Its the 3rd or 4th GT2 I've seen with kinda random stitching though. Why not just one option code for the whole interior? It seems the shifter boot almost always gets missed.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
History has a way of repeating itself...I personally would pass a GT2 at sticker. Its still overpriced at sticker and it will be selling below sticker very soon!!!
+1

Quick Reply: Gt2 @ MSRP, would you hit that?