Don't miss out!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 12:58 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't miss out!

For those of you who can't find a GT3, or want a "better" daily driver that will tax your limits at the track too, see the article below:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...series_feature

Having owned one for a year, this is currently one of the great automotive bargains, and I am amazed that the market "enthusiasts" are so brand loyal that they haven't picked up on this car (or appreciated it). Current pricing makes it a steal, so sneak into a Dealer and pick one up before everybody "wises" up

I read the article, not expecting much, but it was pretty accurate and worthy of your consideration. No kidding!

Last edited by PogueMoHone; 07-18-2008 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typo!
Old 07-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Sure it is a great car from Mercedes, but it is far from being called a bargain, and I definitely will not use it on the track for its weight. Great daily driver certainly.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:46 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

"....and I definitely will not use it on the track for its weight."

Very common mistake and misconception about this car. It will hang with a GT3, and after hot laps with Tommy Kendal at LVMS I was blown away. That is why I say the car capabilities are way beyond the "accomplished" track junkie. Now, if one is truly gifted it might be a different story (and there are a few of those guys around here, but very few).

If you haven't driven it, wait until you do before you close your mind. Just trying to help you guys out since they are available a "good" discount. Just don't all go the Dealership at once, you know how that goes.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:13 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

I took my black series to Willow springs last week...it was a blast. I had Craig Stanton take me for a few hot laps and it was very impressive.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:13 PM
tocho1
Instructor

Super
Old 07-18-2008, 03:29 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Heavy and automatic. No thanks.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:38 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i hate MBZ in general except 600 (the orginal 600 in the 70's), 450 SEL 6.9, 2.3-16, 500E (mid 80's by AMG) and now CLK BS.

yes, it's heavier but it seems to defy physic on track.

if i had more dough, i would have that for DD.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:42 PM
Hanz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by David A
Heavy and automatic. No thanks.
I agree. If you can't get a GT-3 a C2S doesn't do a bad job on track and street.
The MB is a totally different animal. I haven't driven it but I think I'll stick with M6 Cab for the street.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

colm neglects to factor in the mb **** quality and breakdown factor. and the negative image

i love the gl 320 cdi tho, their diesels are OK

Last edited by Sun Ra; 07-19-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
"....and I definitely will not use it on the track for its weight."

Very common mistake and misconception about this car. It will hang with a GT3, and after hot laps with Tommy Kendal at LVMS I was blown away. That is why I say the car capabilities are way beyond the "accomplished" track junkie. Now, if one is truly gifted it might be a different story (and there are a few of those guys around here, but very few).

If you haven't driven it, wait until you do before you close your mind. Just trying to help you guys out since they are available a "good" discount. Just don't all go the Dealership at once, you know how that goes.

I hear you Colm. I haven't had a chance to drive one, and certainly don't think anyone will let me drive one on the track.

Evo magazine once tested the Cayenne Turbo, Mercedes M class AMG and Lotus Elise on the track, and both SUVs at 5000+ pounds, 500+ hp, beat the Lotus on the track. But that doesn't mean my CTT is a good track truck. I will stay with my C2S (and future GT3) for my track use.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:27 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know how much success you'll have sneaking into the dealer for one, but there are a few out there. Funnily enough, despite the limited numbers in the US, I found no dealer gouging like there was/is with the GT3 & RS.

It's a lot of car and a departure from other AMG offerings. I think the doubters would be surprised.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

That car is absolutely amazing. me likey.....
Old 07-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by watt
colm neglects to factor in the mb **** quality and breakdown factor. and the negative image
MB ain't what it was 4 years ago. They're 4th overall in JDPowers- right on Lexus tail-

Right now their dealing with just getting the word out that they are, infact- better!
Old 07-19-2008, 02:01 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

chris, I'm with watt on this one- even if it's in regards to just the interior of the BS. The CF looks like garbage (or it did in the black on black w/980 miles example I saw) and the plastic looked more like a low rent C-class.

originally, I was thinking of exchanging my RS4 for the black series as a DD- but if I'm going to be stuck in traffic, the audi built interior in concert with shifting for myself is the only way I can go.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:01 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by watt

Not at all! We agree

I have been a past victim of their poor quality (MB buyback); that history is what makes the Black Series even more remarkable in that it impresses me and washes away prior negativity about the brand, this car has been flawless. The Black series is a different breed of car from MB (imo). That is part of th reason I am taking pains to point it out to "enthusiasts", it deserves an honest and open look if you are a "drover".

As far as image, my prime concern is "imagining" what the car might or might not do under various inputs.

Quick Reply: Don't miss out!