Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pirelli tire question....

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the R6 is sort of a DOT R tire, what would be a true slick that could be used on a 100 degree day in texas? the track I normally run at has little rubber and isn't completely scrubbed in so I would probably want a slightly softer tire than normal. my corsas get up to about 205 degrees at their hottest point on the rears (inside)

Can they be used for more than a few days? also, these would be stored at the track exclusively.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:32 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,304 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian S
Since the R6 is sort of a DOT R tire, what would be a true slick that could be used on a 100 degree day in texas? the track I normally run at has little rubber and isn't completely scrubbed in so I would probably want a slightly softer tire than normal. my corsas get up to about 205 degrees at their hottest point on the rears (inside)

Can they be used for more than a few days? also, these would be stored at the track exclusively.
which track are you at? if you're storing slicks at a garage without AC they might heat cycle on their own if they get cooked by the texas heat!

IIRC ideal tire temps are from 185-210, so you're okay. what's the temp of the outside?

your best bet is to find a world challenge team or cup car guy who has access to "previously scrubbed" slicks that only have "one or two" heat cycles on them. otherwise you'll be paying in arms and legs for whatever "slicks" you decide to use.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:10 AM
ScottL
Advanced

Pirelli do 19" slicks now which fit the 997GT3/RS.

Details at http://www.pirellityre.com/web/motorsport/default.page

I've driven a GT3 with them fitted and they are incredible. Another notch up from the Hoosiers.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:19 PM
nat3970
Advanced

Originally Posted by mdrums
This looks like a good option. 19 inch rears (305/30 ZR 19) Toyo R888 for $330 appears to be a pretty good price. Believe Mooty was mentioning general market price for rear tire approaching $400. Certainly $330 is a lot better than the $540 just paid for my PS Cup rears...

Have you had good experience with their delivery/service? Thanks for the post.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:28 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,754 Likes on 2,358 Posts

wow, thank you for posting woodmantires

i use aim and look here! a lot more $
http://www.aimtire.com/typ_category....&ObjectID=6650
Old 07-05-2008, 01:44 PM
nat3970
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kevinlpl
Forgive me if this was mentioned already , but you will find the lettering "NO" on the porsche designed Sport cup tires. Tire rack mentions it in their web pages. As it has been beat to death, the Porsche specced Cup tire is different in pattern and tread compound. They had to since they could not control when folks would drive their GT3s,rain, cold, freezing, etc. I have run the real Cup on my M3s for years and the cups on my GT3 do not compare. The "NO" Cup is a little better than the PS2 for the track because of a stiffer side wall and less tread depth (less tread squirm).

If you have them, run them and enjoy. When it comes to replacing them, you will have to make a compromise, and, as Mooty says, if you track alot, you will wear them out in a couple of weekends and then you can try something else.

The Nittos NT-01s are way better at the track than the "NO" cup tire. They are heavier though. Your first two sessions will feel squirrely, unless you get them shaved. Nittos are significantly cheaper than R888s, yet appear to be very similar except for the tread pattern. Nittos really changed the handling of the car. I am much more "confident" driving the 3 with the Nittos on. Confidence leads to a much more enjoyable day at the track for me.

I will try R888s next and then try Hoosiers and then some day slicks, just for Kicks!

Cheers,

The Shoe
Kevin I found your summary hehlpful and also agree with your logic. I think the intangible personal feel "confidence" factor which relates to driving style etc is an issue with any given tire setup and we don't spend much time focusing on that point. "Feeling confident" with a given setup seems to translate into more enjoyable track day and better times for that matter...

I'm at the track approx twice a month for the summer months, so as Mooty indicated it won't be long before I get to try out other alternatives. From everything I've heard I may give either the Corsas (if I can convince myself to spend the $$$) or the R888's a try.

My only concern with R888's is that several people have said they are very noisy for road use. While 50% or more of my GT3 miles are track miles or getting to the track... when driving on public roads I rather listen to exhaust music or CD music or combination of the two. Tire noise never seems to make the cut in terms of a sound I want to hear more of...

BTW great photo, love the look of your red car
Old 07-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

I run mostly at the new Harris Hill track in San Marcos (quite a drive from houston, MSR is great but hard to get into) I will have to ask them about the tire storage, I didn't think they would cycle just sitting there but a garage could easily get 160-170 I'm sure.. I believe their entire garage is air conditioned though.

As for expense, bob woodman tires (previously mentioned here for toyo's) has the pzero slicks in the DM (medium) compound for 490 and 535, not that bad really compared to our stock tire prices.

My outside edges of the rears were in the 170 area, the fronts in the 150 area. so the inside edge is considerably warmer.

Quick Reply: Pirelli tire question....