Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

AWE 997 GT3 Exhaust system **TOP NOTCH**

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:36 PM
fastmover
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AWE 997 GT3 Exhaust system **TOP NOTCH**

Hello to everyone, Sorry for the long post. I just completed installation of AWE's 997 GT3 exhaust on BrianBento's 997 GT3. For starters I have installed every exhaust system imaginable on Pcars form early 911 to current models. This is by far the best fitting system I have had the pleasure to install on a Pcar. The Build quality is excellent, the welds are beautifull , all the welds in the ports (flanges) and on the collectors are port matched. The fit is perfect, no interferance anywhere. It went on perfectly, there was no prying, modifying needed at all (Most all exhaust systems need a little). They also use top quality hardware throughout, even the hanger brackets for the cats use factory style bushings with factory quality materials. The retaining straps for the mufflers are of equal quality, matter of fact they are polished Porsche parts. The mufflers have small angled wedges welded to the back of them that allow the muffler to sit flush against the hanger brackets. Great attention to detail in the entire build. Lets put it this way if the factory were to offer an exhaust of this style it would look just like this! It sounds awesome as well, at idle it is fairly subdued, its about as loud as the stock exhaust in sport mode at idle, crack the throttle and it screams like a banshee!!! I am sure brianbento will give a driving review soon. I highly recommend this exhaust system to all. Mike at AWE has been great to deal with, he got all the parts to us in a flash.

Great product Awe,
Gabe.

Last edited by fastmover; 12-22-2007 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-22-2007, 11:35 PM
brianbento
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a great mechanic like your self, it makes the install that much better, Thanks for all the help, and making this happen tomorrow, You know this car inside and out!!!!! See you in the AM, Bri
Old 12-22-2007, 11:46 PM
fastmover
Pro

Thanks for the kind words Brian, dont worry about tomorrow its all good, I promised that we would get it done before you leave. See ya in the a.m.

Gabe
Old 12-23-2007, 10:00 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

so when i can i hear them scince you live like 100 yards away??? maybe il just sit in living room and wait to hear you come home!!!!

gabe you did a great job i know brian is excited!!!!
Old 12-23-2007, 10:46 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

I can say I had the same impressions with their 997TT exhaust. I also did the install myself at it was without a hitch - all parts fits perfectly without any tweaking. Construction is top notch with no shortcuts. Mike at AWE is an excellent resource for us - a no BS kind of guy. AWE also has been consistently a straight-shooting company whose dedication to bring out quality products is apparent in their work.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:06 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man that car sounded GREAT!!!

Mark
Old 12-24-2007, 01:14 PM
fastmover
Pro

Originally Posted by marky522
Man that car sounded GREAT!!!

Mark

you actually had your hearing aids turned on?
Old 12-24-2007, 02:21 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Were lucky to have such good exhaust sponsors such as Todd, the sharster and others.
Congrats to you for your AWE install.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:01 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

it sounded awsome!!!!!!!! best sounding exhaust .... well maybe next to my new gmg gt exhaust for the gt2
Old 12-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Racerron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does AWE have any posted dB readings as ALL our local tracks except Mosport, have very strictly enforced noise levels.
For example 997 GT3's and RS's have been sent packing using the stock exhaust in "Sport" mode

Last edited by Racerron; 12-25-2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 12-25-2007, 11:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Racerron
Does AWE have any posted dB readings as ALL our local tracks except Mosport, have very strictly enforced noise levels.
For example 997 GT3's and RS's have been sent packing using the stock exhaust in "Sport" mode
LOL, even in quiet mode, RS or 7GT3 cannot pass laguna seca sound check.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:07 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
LOL, even in quiet mode, RS or 7GT3 cannot pass laguna seca sound check.
Mooty, I'm looking forward to taking my GT3 to Laguna Seca, what do I need to do to pass the sound test?
Old 12-25-2007, 02:49 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by SamG
Mooty, I'm looking forward to taking my GT3 to Laguna Seca, what do I need to do to pass the sound test?
short shift after T5, move track left, and 1/2 throttle.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
short shift after T5, move track left, and 1/2 throttle.
Turning off Sport will help, but what's the point in laps punctuated by a slow grind up the first part of the hill?
I put on two 3" dryer vent elbows -- pointed 90 degree to the driver side (away from the test mic) and found it made no significant difference to angle the elbows up or down. I used some hi temp rubber to protect the black exhaust tips and conventional hose clamps -- just cut the vent to allow it to flare out and around the tips.
In this way, you can run in Sport mode wide open from the apex and drive a line that takes advantage of the camber near the middle of the track instead of hiding away on the left.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Todd/A.W.E.
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racerron
Unfortunately, sound volume level recording appears to be relative to the specific environment where the testing is being conducted.

For example, SCCA sound limits (which are regularly adopted by most tracks and sanctioning bodies) prescribe a 104 dbA actionable limit as measured 50 feet from edge of track at a height of 3-6 ft.

Before we did exhaust development on the GT3, we knew that people were getting into trouble even with the stock exhausts sound volumes. We did some limit testing of our own, with the same SCCA specs as above, and WOT 3rd gear in the GT3 only registered 84 dbA where we tested. This suggested to us that such things as trees, hills, and track banking can substantially affect sound volumes, and unless we can test at each specific monitoring station of every regulated track, we could not make any blanket statements regarding sound limits and our exhaust.

Instead, we took another clue from Porsche Motorsports, and offer turn down tips like they do on the RSR and endurance cup car exhausts. These tips can be installed in a matter of minutes, and should reduce volume enough to make the stewards happy. "Should" being the operative word.

Quick Reply: AWE 997 GT3 Exhaust system **TOP NOTCH**