How to buy a new Cup car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 05:55 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jimhuber
It is this type of bottom feeding type of pot stiring **** that people like you start that really makes me wonder what you do with your life that you know everything that is done and why. Denials, I have never denied anything on this site. Deleted threads? WTF. True Porsche owners would might use a cap in the name. Flipped it?
To funny? What like I amuse you funny, or what.
You came on here asking about selling an allocation. Took a lot of sh*t from the non-sunroof porsche crowd. Posts and a thread were changed/deleted. Then you changed your story about wanting to sell. And now you flipped/sold it for whatever reason. I don't care why and might have done the same thing and for less or more money and for different reasons (hence the bowdown smiley although in reading your response, might have been more appropriate). And yes I find the whole situation amusing. Especially the people that were giving you crap that are now going to help with the new purchase. Enjoy your cup, they are fun to play with.

You are the thing that I have wondered about since I have joined this forum.
right, because you'll find even a single non-technical post on this forum from me? There might be one or two where I defended a guy (YOU) wanting to sell his (YOUR) allocation or for ordering a GT3 with sunroof and A/C and maybe a few when people have gone after newbies for not having a paid membership but otherwise I've stayed out of the personal cr@p. So was it all my posts on torque specifications... or was it something else you were wondering about?

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 09-30-2007 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:13 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

By BLING I mean really not a race car more of a country club show off pice to show BIFF who has the most nice car. I just want to buy a track car and not a track-street car.

Jim Huber
hey hey hey, some of us poor folks dont have trailers. i need a bling car to DRIVE to the track and back home.

now if i had a trailer and tow car and now wife, i be racing a 997cup car yesterday.

jim, i am just pulling your legs. i know what you meant by above post, cheers.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:55 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Jim Good luck with this. Get ahold of Glen he is the man on this he can
A. Help you find what you want or
B. point you in the right direction once you hammer out what it is you want.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

another vote for a 996 cup
Old 09-29-2007, 10:36 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for you support. I am just trying to learn and as I learn I have changed my mind. All types on this board. All types for real. I will call Glen and I am sure the used or worked in cars are the choice to make. I can tell you all one thing everyone and I mean everyone has a opinion on this RS thing. It is just a car and means different things for different people. I just know the track car is the way for me to go. I think that everything I did over the last 18 months of ordering an looking at this car means I have had a investment of my time in the deal. I sold the car for MSRP plus my time. What is your time worth? Flip for zero to someone who I do not know or want to know? Everyone of you work. You all charge what you think your time and labor are worth. I bought the car for me and I changed my mind due to all of your coments. The cars RS cars will fade and something new will come down the path. I wish all of you the best and you all have been great to deal with. (even the ones who do not play well with others)

Jim Huber
Old 10-05-2007, 02:28 AM
michaelainsworth
7th Gear

Jim, as of approximately a month ago Porsche will no longer sell a new Cup Car to anyone unless they commit to racing it in at least 5 races (300 people looking for 40 cars per year). I recently purchased a 997 cup car from Synergy and in my experience this has been a good option. You get a professionally maintained car with a known history, gain access to maintainence advice, receive contacts to source spares and consumables, and you might find a car with a pedigree. I hope this gets to you, it's my first ever posting.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:30 AM
jimmc8
Advanced

Nice to have aboard Michael.

It was fun to follow you around Pacific in your RUF. When is your first race?
Old 10-05-2007, 03:02 AM
michaelainsworth
7th Gear

Default first time post

Thanks Jim. Nice to be aboard. I hadn't read the whole thread (didn't know how until a few moments ago), but it sounds like Jim Huber has it all sorted out for himself. I wish him luck. A 997 Cup, new or used in any colour, is a blast (everyone should get to experience a no lift upshift) and he probably won't regret the decision regardless of the direction he choses once he drives it. As for my first race, I'm not sure yet. I'm looking at some seat time in a Miata or Pro3 BMW with SCCA first. Meanwhile, I investigate PCA and POC to start. Don Kitch as Pacific has been a wealth of information and I ask any driver I meet at the races how they got started....no personal aspirations to race professionally however. Not enough time, too old, and not enough talent, but it blows my hair back everytime I set a tyre on the race track. The most fun you can have with or without your clothes on!
Old 10-05-2007, 03:16 AM
JScott
Track Day

Originally Posted by michaelainsworth
Thanks Jim. Nice to be aboard. I hadn't read the whole thread (didn't know how until a few moments ago), but it sounds like Jim Huber has it all sorted out for himself. I wish him luck. A 997 Cup, new or used in any colour, is a blast (everyone should get to experience a no lift upshift) and he probably won't regret the decision regardless of the direction he choses once he drives it. As for my first race, I'm not sure yet. I'm looking at some seat time in a Miata or Pro3 BMW with SCCA first. Meanwhile, I investigate PCA and POC to start. Don Kitch as Pacific has been a wealth of information and I ask any driver I meet at the races how they got started....no personal aspirations to race professionally however. Not enough time, too old, and not enough talent, but it blows my hair back everytime I set a tyre on the race track. The most fun you can have with or without your clothes on!
Michael, I just heard you bought a Cup car today. I look forward to take a peek at it next Thursday! Good to see someone familiar on the board, I just joined up two days ago.

Scotty
Old 10-05-2007, 03:47 AM
michaelainsworth
7th Gear

Originally Posted by JScott
Michael, I just heard you bought a Cup car today. I look forward to take a peek at it next Thursday! Good to see someone familiar on the board, I just joined up two days ago.

Scotty
Thanks and likewise. Signed up some time ago, but tonight was my first time to venture into the forum. You're coming to the tech night them? Don't know what we'll talk about as I'm just getting familiar with the car myself and Stuart isn't much further ahead. Jeff's technical side of the data collection and Motec might end up being the highlight. Better have lots of beer available for when we run out of things to talk about. Might end up standing around making vroom vroom noises all night.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:59 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

If anybody is buying a race car as a prelude to racing, I'd advise them to avoid club racing and aim for professional racing.

For two reasons
1. the economics are better
2. who do we wish to measure ourselves against

if you aren't racing, but doing timed laps in a track day environment, the most admired person is the fastest guy in the slowest car.

Having a race car is like having a race horse. It doesn't live at home, other people look after it and it don't know your name. But you do get to drive it. Building a network of happy sponsors is part of your job, other guys look after the car.

R+C
Old 10-05-2007, 08:12 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Having a race car is like having a race horse. It doesn't live at home, other people look after it and it don't know your name................ very good anaolgy!!!!!!

i loved my super cup and still wish i didnt sell it ! but i know it went to good home and is being taken cared of!!!!

but i wouldnt recomend a 997 cuo i would stick with a 996 super cup! 04 or o5 .. great power antilocl and power brakes... i stilll think the 997cupo is more of a truly supported vehicle...if i had the money and time i would have one but it is a didffernt class... simular to the 996rsr cup

just my opinion
Old 10-05-2007, 10:10 AM
jimmc8
Advanced

Originally Posted by michaelainsworth
. . . As for my first race, I'm not sure yet. I'm looking at some seat time in a Miata or Pro3 BMW with SCCA first. Meanwhile, I investigate PCA and POC to start. Don Kitch as Pacific has been a wealth of information and I ask any driver I meet at the races how they got started....no personal aspirations to race professionally however. Not enough time, too old, and not enough talent, but it blows my hair back everytime I set a tyre on the race track. The most fun you can have with or without your clothes on!
Let me know when you and Jeff are "going to do the deed" and I'll come down and be your groupie and yell "Get in the hole" . . . oops wrong sport . . . or whatever they yell at races.

I'm too old etc as well but still intend to take the Novice Liscencing Course next summer and give it a try myself once I get a little more seat time. Unfortunately, there is no Cup car in my future if "she who must be obeyed" has anything to say about it.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:25 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Go look at this link:

http://www.pca.org/clubrace/2007_res...int%20Race.htm

These are the results of the PCA Club Race at Road America, 36 - 996 Cups & 7 997 Cups. This would clearly suggest that if you are looking for the best racing you should buy a 996 Cup (GTC3 car). No matter what your pace, there was a race for you at Road America.

The 997 Cups will increase in numbers on the club race grids as the IMSA cars evolve and the old cars head to club racing. But last weekend I was at PCA at Miller and there were thirteen 996 Cups and one 997 Cup.

Buy the newest, low hour, unmolested cup car you can afford and then go enjoy it. The 997 Cup shifter is nice, but not worth the $40K to $50K premium over a 996 Cup.

JCM
Old 10-07-2007, 11:51 PM
RS 197
Pro

Jim,

How much time have you spent on the race track?? I may have missed it, but I do not recall from previous posts?? Are you planning on racing or just track time/DE?

I would recomend 996. Anti-Locks are nice to have. Keep in mind that a track car is a tool. A well set up, freshened 996 cup is a great track tool. You will feel better thrashing a car that cost you $90K vs one that will cost you over $140K. 996 much easier to fix if you happen to have a shunt...

The 997 is the top of the line weapon. If you can pull it off, why not....Talk to the guy's that work on them, they will fill you in on a few extra cost over the 996.

Take it from a rookie that started in a 993 cup, it takes a ton of time to get used to the speed, levels of grip, track layouts etc......

D.E. events are very hard to drive in a cup car. You are soo much faster than the street cars. If you have experience and can get on a track with other race cars you will progress faster and have way more fun... A good instructor is mandatory... Even if you have ton of experience it is nice to have an instructor that is familiar with a cup car.

You need to locate a Race team to handle the car.... They do everything. It is the only way to go. It will save you a ton of frustration. At the very least you will need a good race team to service/set up the car every few hours.

Great choice. No comparison to a factory built race car....

As far as the RS...Nice flip... I should have kept my allocation and done the same... $40K lighter in a plain old 997 GT3 would have been just fine with me... I am a little suprized you don't like the 997 GT3 for a steet car? After all your posts It would seem a Daily Driver, GT3 would be the way to go??

Good luck,

996 or 997 cup...the experience will be one of the highlights of your life.... At least it is for me.

Quick Reply: How to buy a new Cup car?