Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

1st 150 mile report on the 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 09:07 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1st 150 mile report on the 3

Picked it up yesterday and it was stunning sitting next to a green RS...he told me the keys were in it and to bring it around front so I jokingly opened the door to the RS and promptly complained that the keys were not in it...they politely reminded me that the white GT3 was mine; not the RS

Got in and found out immediately that the adaptive sport seats are not made for any adult male with man sized back and shoulders...I am 6' 2" ,258 pounds and body build daily as my "personal therapy" and thus the seats do not quite fit my frame....(54 inch jacket and 34 inch waist)....I will deal with that for now and get the 996 GT3 seats ASAP.

Ergonomics are very nice...should have passed on the communication center as it will not be on much as long as I can hear that "song" coming out of the tail pipes. Add'l pipes will not be necessary as others have previously stated but will disconnect the sport mode wires so that the sounds are great throughout the RPM range.

Got the small carbon package option which puts a nice bit of carbon here and there and on the back half of the gear shifter which I think is a bonus as the alcantara would probably take a beating from me and look like sh*t in short measure.

Got the short end WRT tires and it came with the Pirelli's , but this may be a good thing as this car will see all type of weather and I have much experience with the Pirelli's and will not have to deal with the rain issues on the cup tires.

The street alignment settings are just that....street settings.... and they will do this car just fine as it will be my daily driver, but I think I will need to check the toe settings as turn in to the right is much more crisp than left and I will put the front at one from full soft for now for aggressive street playing.

The car pulls very nicely to my self imposed 5500 RPM limit during break-in through all gears and cruises nicely at low RPMs without bogging which will be good for those dull traffic moments this car is apt to see. the cam seems to come alive at 4K and up but will have to wait a bit before I R-line it..(not too long )

The clutch has a long way to travel but coming from the RSR, any clutch will be long in comparison. It engages easily and has no hint of abruptness b/w shifts and as others have stated; the gear selector is pure perfection; nice and short and close.

PASM seems to be something I will have to wait to experience on the track as I cannot perceive an appreciable difference on our crappy NYC/Long Island area roads. Otherwise the car is very stable and confidence inspiring right out of the box.

Do not fool yourselves...this is a STREET CAR...with nice track capablities..anyone who is going to dump lots of $$ into trying to make it into a Cup wannabe will be short-changed in the end....better to keep it stock and/or buy a real Cup from one of our Rennlist guys (Glenn or Rick) and enjoy it as it was intended to be (unless you will be racing it, that is)

That's it for now...time to blast off for add'l break in mileage and then to the boat for a 3 day cruise....gonna have to talk to Bill Walzack to get me a bigger boat so I can put the 3 on the transom and take it with me

Remember to "Remember" this Memorial Day Weekend and have fun and be safe.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Unitah
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Norm,
Glad your car finally came in!! Let me know when you'll be around, we have to get together.

So after all that, you all of a sudden don't want to go with the straight pipes! Joe Fabiani isn't going to be happy, hahaha... And knowing you, I give it 1 month until you start upgrading the suspension!

Call me...
Old 05-26-2007, 11:44 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 326 Posts

Congrats on the car!
Old 05-26-2007, 04:21 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats. Mine will be home on Tuesday... :-)
Old 05-26-2007, 04:41 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Congratulations on the GT3. Very nice write-up as well.

I had the dealer do a full alignment before I picked it up as per manual.

happy memorial day.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by leif997
the adaptive sport seats are not made for any adult male with man sized back and shoulders...I am 6' 2" ,258 pounds and body build daily as my "personal therapy" and thus the seats do not quite fit my frame....(54 inch jacket and 34 inch waist
body building results in a figure that is, by design, out of the norm!

Add'l pipes will not be necessary as others have previously stated but will disconnect the sport mode wires so that the sounds are great throughout the RPM range.
sometimes its convenient to be a little discrete.....

but I think I will need to check the toe settings as turn in to the right is much more crisp than left and I will put the front at one from full soft for now for aggressive street playing..
weighing 258 pounds might have somerthing to do with that!

PASM seems to be something I will have to wait to experience on the track as I cannot perceive an appreciable difference on our crappy NYC/Long Island area roads. Otherwise the car is very stable and confidence inspiring right out of the box..
wait until you get up to speed, and by that I mean over 150 mph, then you will curse the stupid system

Do not fool yourselves...this is a STREET CAR...with nice track capablities..anyone who is going to dump lots of $$ into trying to make it into a Cup wannabe will be short-changed in the end....better to keep it stock and/or buy a real Cup from one of our Rennlist guys (Glenn or Rick) and enjoy it as it was intended to be (unless you will be racing it, that is)
I couldn't agree more - its a great car for the street that is also fun on the track, but its beeter not to futz up its roadability by (faiuling) to turn it into a track car.

R+C
Old 05-26-2007, 05:34 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 474 Likes on 317 Posts

Congrats Norm.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:49 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

congrats,

...Do not fool yourselves...this is a STREET CAR...with nice track capablities..anyone who is going to dump lots of $$ into trying to make it into a Cup wannabe will be short-changed in the end....better to keep it stock and/or buy a real Cup from one of our Rennlist guys (Glenn or Rick) and enjoy it as it was intended to be (unless you will be racing it, that is)

amen.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:17 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Got in and found out immediately that the adaptive sport seats are not made for any adult male with man sized back and shoulders...I am 6' 2" ,258 pounds and body build daily as my "personal therapy" and thus the seats do not quite fit my frame....(54 inch jacket and 34 inch waist)....I will deal with that for now and get the 996 GT3 seats ASAP
Finally, a fellow muscle-head speaks out. I'm opting for the CF seats for the RS. If you do a cage with the stock seats, you'll never fit. I'll let you know how they turn out...on order now and cage is in. Send some pics of the new car! Congrats!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 05-27-2007, 09:30 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Pics please!
Old 05-28-2007, 12:13 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ he's too busy driving the new toy...
Old 05-28-2007, 09:18 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Picked it up yesterday and it was stunning sitting next to a green RS...he told me the keys were in it and to bring it around front so I jokingly opened the door to the RS and promptly complained that the keys were not in it...they politely reminded me that the white GT3 was mine; not the RS

Got in and found out immediately that the adaptive sport seats are not made for any adult male with man sized back and shoulders...I am 6' 2" ,258 pounds and body build daily as my "personal therapy" and thus the seats do not quite fit my frame....(54 inch jacket and 34 inch waist)....I will deal with that for now and get the 996 GT3 seats ASAP.

Ergonomics are very nice...should have passed on the communication center as it will not be on much as long as I can hear that "song" coming out of the tail pipes. Add'l pipes will not be necessary as others have previously stated but will disconnect the sport mode wires so that the sounds are great throughout the RPM range.

Got the small carbon package option which puts a nice bit of carbon here and there and on the back half of the gear shifter which I think is a bonus as the alcantara would probably take a beating from me and look like sh*t in short measure.

Got the short end WRT tires and it came with the Pirelli's , but this may be a good thing as this car will see all type of weather and I have much experience with the Pirelli's and will not have to deal with the rain issues on the cup tires.

The street alignment settings are just that....street settings.... and they will do this car just fine as it will be my daily driver, but I think I will need to check the toe settings as turn in to the right is much more crisp than left and I will put the front at one from full soft for now for aggressive street playing.

The car pulls very nicely to my self imposed 5500 RPM limit during break-in through all gears and cruises nicely at low RPMs without bogging which will be good for those dull traffic moments this car is apt to see. the cam seems to come alive at 4K and up but will have to wait a bit before I R-line it..(not too long )

The clutch has a long way to travel but coming from the RSR, any clutch will be long in comparison. It engages easily and has no hint of abruptness b/w shifts and as others have stated; the gear selector is pure perfection; nice and short and close.

PASM seems to be something I will have to wait to experience on the track as I cannot perceive an appreciable difference on our crappy NYC/Long Island area roads. Otherwise the car is very stable and confidence inspiring right out of the box.

That's it for now...time to blast off for add'l break in mileage and then to the boat for a 3 day cruise....gonna have to talk to Bill Walzack to get me a bigger boat so I can put the 3 on the transom and take it with me

Remember to "Remember" this Memorial Day Weekend and have fun and be safe.
There will be another white 997 GT3 on Long Island next month when i get mine, so far I've only seen a meteor grey one.
Nice review, I guess from your experience you'll have no problem fitting in the 996 GT3 seats which to me are tighter than the adaptive seats. I find the adaptive seats roomier than the 996 sport seats and the euro. GT3 seats are much tighter than both. I would think a man that wears a size 54 jacket would not be comfortable in any of the sport seats.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:15 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

There's a white one sitting at roslyn porsche right now....unclaimed?
Old 05-29-2007, 03:23 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
There's a white one sitting at roslyn porsche right now....unclaimed?
Is he asking over sticker price?
Old 06-02-2007, 07:42 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Finally, a fellow muscle-head speaks out. I'm opting for the CF seats for the RS. If you do a cage with the stock seats, you'll never fit. I'll let you know how they turn out...on order now and cage is in. Send some pics of the new car! Congrats!

any word on your seats as of yet? what size frame are you stuffing into these kiddy chairs?

This car keeps on getting better and betterer

Quick Reply: 1st 150 mile report on the 3