Gt3 rs roll cage question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 02:38 PM
993nut
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gt3 rs roll cage question

Hi Everybody,

Now that US Gt3rs' are being delivered, any updates on the possibility in mounting the ROW RS cage? Is it a direct bolt-in application? From what I heard, mounting plates will have to be welded and some drilling will have to be done for US cars.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:07 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

The best cage I've seen so far, is the one made by TC Design, it is absolutely stunning. I have also seen the GMG cage, but there is debate as to whether their 997 GT3 cage fits (Maybe they sent a 996 GT3 cage by mistake). I know of one car down for a few weeks becuase their cage didn't fit and they are sending a new one (5mm smaller) supposedly Monday, actually spent two days at the track with the owner of that car, and he is being very patient.

To be fair GMG is trying to fix the problem, and their product is nice, so hopefully the attempt works out. I'd be very thorough in my research. However, even though the GMG cage has features I like (seat adjustment) I think the TC design surpasses it for strength, and unless you need the extra seat room TC is the way to go (imo).
Old 03-17-2007, 12:27 AM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

The factory roll cage requires mounting plates be welded in. Not that way for USA models from Zuffenhausen.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:11 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFastKindaGuy
The factory roll cage requires mounting plates be welded in. Not that way for USA models from Zuffenhausen.
So RS's from Zuffenhausen have the plated welded in (USA cars)? That would be nice as that is where mine is coming from, be here next week.

JCM
Old 03-17-2007, 03:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

you can just weld in the plate or an angle or a box section under the carpet of there rear foot well area and then bolt the front legs of the 1/2 roll bar to it. the hind legs bolts to shock tower. i have this set up on eveyrone of my 996's and will have it on my inbound GT3 as well.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:54 AM
lumpking
Instructor

So to clairify, The RS WILL NOT need any plates to be welded in? Bolt in from the factory.?
Old 03-17-2007, 06:41 AM
993nut
6th Gear

Originally Posted by GoFastKindaGuy
Aren't all RS' being built in Zuffenhausen?

I assume you mean USA cars DO NOT have the plates welded in AT THE FACTORY, USA cars will have to have the plates welded in by the dealer in order to bolt the cage in. Right? What is the down side to this? I am sorry but this is getting frustrated as I really want the RS cage. Thanks again.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:44 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by 993nut
Aren't all RS' being built in Zuffenhausen?

I assume you mean USA cars DO NOT have the plates welded in AT THE FACTORY, USA cars will have to have the plates welded in by the dealer in order to bolt the cage in. Right? What is the down side to this? I am sorry but this is getting frustrated as I really want the RS cage. Thanks again.
there are RS in USA now. maybe someone can look to see if htere are plates. my GUESS is that there are NONE.

but it doesn't matter. just weld a plate on, you will never know it's there. you need a good fabricator though.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:57 AM
993nut
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Colm
The best cage I've seen so far, is the one made by TC Design, it is absolutely stunning. I have also seen the GMG cage, but there is debate as to whether their 997 GT3 cage fits (Maybe they sent a 996 GT3 cage by mistake). I know of one car down for a few weeks becuase their cage didn't fit and they are sending a new one (5mm smaller) supposedly Monday, actually spent two days at the track with the owner of that car, and he is being very patient.

To be fair GMG is trying to fix the problem, and their product is nice, so hopefully the attempt works out. I'd be very thorough in my research. However, even though the GMG cage has features I like (seat adjustment) I think the TC design surpasses it for strength, and unless you need the extra seat room TC is the way to go (imo).
Thanks Colm. I agree, the one from TC Design looks awesome.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:10 AM
993nut
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mooty
there are RS in USA now. maybe someone can look to see if htere are plates. my GUESS is that there are NONE.

but it doesn't matter. just weld a plate on, you will never know it's there. you need a good fabricator though.
Thanks Mooty. I'll see if my dealer can do that.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:26 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

USA cars do not have roll bar plates installed by the factory. Sorry for the unclear post
Old 03-18-2007, 03:23 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd also recommend DAS Sport. They make two versions for the 997, with and without sunroof.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:07 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

The RS cage is on hold from Porsche at the moment. They do not know when it is going to be released for sale.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:26 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
The RS cage is on hold from Porsche at the moment. They do not know when it is going to be released for sale.
What a Bummer...
Old 03-18-2007, 04:43 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Did't one guy on here buy one with "Euro Specs" that came with the rollcage?

Quick Reply: Gt3 rs roll cage question