Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

So I'm driving my buddy's Cayman

Old 01-26-2007, 01:07 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I'm driving my buddy's Cayman

around today, while he's working on my X5. I've been Porsche-less since last August, and seem to have forgotten how exceptional these modern porsches are.

A bit rubbery, lethargic engine response in the low revs. . .but when the motor gets on cam above 4k rpm and you run it hard down a twisty road, it is a hilariously *fun* car. Scalpel like.

Waiting for the GT3 has just gotten that much more difficult. I need a drink.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:33 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
I need a drink.
As Alan Jackson and Kimmy Buffet said "It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere"!!!!!
Old 01-26-2007, 05:29 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

They really are fantastic cars. I rarely drive my 997 - the M3 is my daily - and every time I get back in the Porsche, it's like everything is all there, exactly the way God and Ferdinand intended. The weight of controls, pedal response, steering, brakes, power, everything. Cayman is the same way, the Porsche sports cars really are head-and-shoulders above almost everything else.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The Cayman is fun. But you're experiencing more of a "contrast" than an absolute.
Even a Boxster (not even the S) is great fun in small doses. But after just a day or two you start to feel the limitations. I had one as a loaner for a couple of days just recently. Loved it. Happy to give it back. Would consider getting an S or a 987-based Ruf, though.
Comparisons to any GT3 are impossible.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:38 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

^Very true...but fun nevertheless...
Old 01-26-2007, 07:18 PM
frayed
Race Car

Oh yeah, the Cayman (this one is an S w/ PASM) certainly ain't no GT3, but does share some of the same dna as my 997S. I'm used to a bit more power than what the Cayman puts down, but turn in and balance are fantastic. The car 'wakes up' when driven hard, but feels sort of awkward when puttering around.

Let me try from another perspective. It fits more like a glove than any bmw I've driven and even the ferrari i owned, and begs to be driven hard. This 'fit' is what makes these modern porsches so special IMO. Not a GT3 to be sure, but a great drive.

The little Cayman is well worth the money IMO.

Well, it's quittin' time! I'm feeling like a bit of Highland Park 18 this evening.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:21 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, it's quittin' time! I'm feeling like a bit of Highland Park 18 this evening.
Atta boy Jeff!
Old 01-26-2007, 07:45 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I'm thinking about a Tito's martini tonight
Old 01-27-2007, 01:01 AM
singletrack1
Track Day

I'm glad you are having fun in my Cayman S. Do I get to thrash your GT3 at the track when you get it?
Old 01-27-2007, 02:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,476 Likes on 2,266 Posts

around today, while he's working on my X5. I've been Porsche-less since last August, and seem to have forgotten how exceptional these modern porsches are.

A bit rubbery, lethargic engine response in the low revs. . .but when the motor gets on cam above 4k rpm and you run it hard down a twisty road, it is a hilariously *fun* car. Scalpel like.

Waiting for the GT3 has just gotten that much more difficult. I need a drink.
why are you in low rpm range? where you backing it out from the garage? i make my idle at 5k rpm
Old 01-27-2007, 04:23 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by singletrack1
I'm glad you are having fun in my Cayman S. Do I get to thrash your GT3 at the track when you get it?
Heh, as soon as it's broken in.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Geronimo
Intermediate

I have a 997 GT3 due to be completed next Friday and I'm struggling about what to do with my '06 Cayman S. It is such a terrific handling, easy driving car and only has 1700 easy miles on it. My first inclination is to trade it in for the GT3, but I'm sure to get hosed by the dealer. Do you think I would miss it?
Old 01-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Geronimo
I have a 997 GT3 due to be completed next Friday and I'm struggling about what to do with my '06 Cayman S. It is such a terrific handling, easy driving car and only has 1700 easy miles on it. My first inclination is to trade it in for the GT3, but I'm sure to get hosed by the dealer. Do you think I would miss it?
With the new GT3 keys in hand, you won't miss the Cayman other than in terms of parking it at the supermarket or wanting to carry kids, dogs and golf clubs.
As for how to dispose of the Cayman, well, it's costing you about $1000 per month. Market is around 20-30% below your purchase cost. You have several options to sell it yourself or to wholesale it. The delta is maybe $3-5K. If you want to sell it yourself, just be sure to get the job done within a few weeks, otherwise, forget it.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Geronimo
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to list it now on the Caymanweb. Given that I stress over even leaving the Cayman at the supermarket lot, I'm sure I'll be a mess with the GT3!! BTW, I paid 6K below sticker for the Cayman S. Anything close to 50K would make me happy.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:37 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,476 Likes on 2,266 Posts

It fits more like a glove than any bmw I've driven and even the ferrari i owned, and begs to be driven hard.
i dont have money for ferrari.
but plenty of bimmers. and sadly NONE of them comes close to p cars.
and my favorite e36m3, have noticed the seat and the str are offset from one another. no wonder my lower back hurts everytime i get out of it.

The little Cayman is well worth the money IMO.
told you so.
you want to buy mine?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So I'm driving my buddy's Cayman