Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Great New Article

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

For once, I think C&D did a good job of the review. Not much BS, just a good review of cars that make sense in the same context. I think they're also right to include the Atom etc. And they simply had to give the nod to the Z06, it's just too much car at half the price to even consider giving the GT3 1st place.

I was surprised that they had very, very, very close test results and didn't test and retest until there was a clear separation and confirmed winner. After all, if you run those slalom tests, even a minor tweak of tyre pressure or driver practice can result in time deltas. If you want to give the win to a given car when the winning margin is so slender.

The review did mention the Z06 was the only car on street rubber instead of DOT R compounds but didn't seem to afford it any favor in the tests. What's the point? (I mean, what if they said, "oh yeah, all the cars were filled with 100 gas except the Z, but, like, whatever ...")

The review weighed in on sticker, but didn't reflect resale. Imagine a Z06 owner trying to get money for their car in two years. Imagine the Lotus owner trying to even find a buyer in two years. Sure, the GT3, like most 911's, will go from $100K to $80K in two years, but the buyers will be lined up along the block.

So, in a US magazine, I'd give the win to the Z06 for sure. But if I saw a Z06 and a GT3 arrive at Laguna and someone was taking bets on lap times ... and the Exige S is a narrow car ... there were two of them at Laguna last Wednesday, they didn't take up much track, so they were easy to pass ... : )

ps. where is the big Z06 forum? I wonder what's possible if you buy a Z06 at a discount, throw in some shell seats and a roll bar, etc. What's possible in terms of weight reduction, suspension tweaks, aerodynamics, wheels, tyres, brakes, etc. Surely it's a pretty easy machine to turn into a potent track toy. Could be fun. I used to have big displacement V8's. Could be fun.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
I don't think anyone doubts that the Z06 is quicker...what amazes me is that a NA 3.6L six, in a car of similar weight, hangs with a 7L V-8! This, my friends, is engineering!
In overseas reviews, the recurring criticism of the Z06 is that Porsche (and others) get a lot more power, torque and economy from given displacements. The 3.6 is at say 400hp. While the 7.0 is at 500hp. Round figures. Regardless of cylinder count or rpm, the Chev engine is just too big for the HP output. To get 500hp from a Porsche flat six (in very simplistic terms) the displacement would be well under 5.0l.
I think Chev has the technology and marketing opportunity to reduce displacement while increasing power. We'll see.
If they'd just start with a makeover on the ugly cabin trim, that would win me over ...
Old 01-27-2007, 09:24 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, each of these three cars aren't terribly great street cars, and offer so much performance that you cannot get your adreneline rush w/o ending up in jail. That leaves much of the discussion to which is the better car to 'track'.

Everyone who tracks knows that perfectly fine street (sports) cars can be *brutally* exposed on the track. Think, brakes. Think, oil temps, coolant temps, oil starvation, heat soak (particularly for FI). Also, availabilty and fitment of quality safety gear. Go fast aftermarket parts (r comps, track pads). I personally would not drive a ballistic 400 hp car w/o at least a bar, seats, harnesses.

In this light, the GT3 is the car to have.

The Z06 is a brutally fast car on track. However, as much as GM would like you to believe, it is not a turn-key track car.

3 recent track weekends at my local track and 3 Z06s didn't finish the weekend due to braking and engine cooling issues. These are things that C&D will never mention (b/c their testing is a flash in the pan). There are very few cars you can drive off the showroom floor and onto the track with success; the GT3 is one of those cars. Based on what I've seen from Chevies C5 and C6 Z06, the vette aint.

I guess what I am saying is that racing improves the breed.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Couple of points:

- You won't find a Z06 at MSRP. These puppies get significant premiums when new so the difference to the GT3 shrinks to $20-$25k in reality
- The Z06 is 60 lbs LIGHTER than the GT3
- Tires make a big difference and as such one should assume that proper shoes would make the Z06 faster than the GT3
- A friend of mine is having a tough time finishing most DE events in his Z06. He's now considering a GT3 because he can't always rely on being able to drive the Z06 back home.

One part that these magazines never focus on is the fact that you can start up your Porsche in the morning, drive to the track, have a great day and drive it back home without any problems. That in my mind is the great strength of German cars.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

A few Europeans drive Z06s and Vipers hard both on street asnd track.

First off they replace the brakes, then they install intercoolers and radiators for things like the rear differential. Then they sort out the suspension. By the time they have done this, they have something that is fun to drive, and even more fun when more of the engine's potential is released through comparatively cheap modifications.
Finally they rip out the tart's boudoir interior and have the car properly furnished in real leather with proper carpets and tasteful instruments.
These cars are very verry fast, give excellent fuel economy most of the time and are pleasantly roomy compared to their European equivalents. They make a great working car for a professional hot shoe who has driving engagements all over the Continent.

R+C
Old 01-28-2007, 09:41 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cleanme
I like reading Car&Driver but I find they always give more credit to American cars...maybe some 'sponsorship'.
absolutely ^.............and wrt to the vette handling; I have never felt comfortable at speeds > 140 as the car begins to get very unsettled and light in the front end despite the engine placement. Never have driven a track setup vette and am sure that they are much more sure footed.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Tahoe M3
Advanced

Originally Posted by leif997
absolutely ^.............and wrt to the vette handling; I have never felt comfortable at speeds > 140 as the car begins to get very unsettled and light in the front end despite the engine placement. Never have driven a track setup vette and am sure that they are much more sure footed.
They did say that for '07 Chevy changed the suspension, and that led to it being more confidence-inspiring on the track. They pointed out that there was none of the back-end scariness seen in last year's model.

It was already faster than the GT3 even with the stock run-flat tires, both on the track and in all other performance tests except lateral grip. The guys in the article commented that they felt the car was not only faster but more composed, and they used that to explain why it beat the GT3 but had lost to the turbo previously. Basically they were saying if they had tested an '07 vs. the turbo, it would have beaten that, too.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:37 AM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
- You won't find a Z06 at MSRP. These puppies get significant premiums when new so the difference to the GT3 shrinks to $20-$25k in reality
Actually, a friend just bought an '07 from a dealer in Burbank, CA, at MSRP with just a few phone calls. I drove it the other day, street only of course, and liked it more than I thought I would. We followed up with an informal roll-on from about 50 to 120 or so, and we were essentially dead even. And his car was almost exactly $100k cheaper than my F430 - not that I'm tempted, but you have to acknowledge the value. Those reliability issues are disturbing, though...the F430 is fortunately another of those cars you can run hard at the track with no issues, which is a must for me.

Gary
Old 01-28-2007, 11:40 AM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by frayed

I guess what I am saying is that racing improves the breed.
Seems to me Corvette has been quite active, and with a lot of success, in international racing for quite some time now. But the stock Z06s do seem to have issues on the track.

Gary
Old 01-28-2007, 04:02 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

They picked the Vette???

Try driving one of those ZO6's on any track all day long and watch it break or watch the brakes go away. The GT3 will run all day and night without a single complaint. Ohh I guess C&D didn't run these cars hard enough to find that one out.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MHC2S
They picked the Vette???

Try driving one of those ZO6's on any track all day long and watch it break or watch the brakes go away. The GT3 will run all day and night without a single complaint. Ohh I guess C&D didn't run these cars hard enough to find that one out.
I am in agreement with all, except about the brakes. The zo6 has some great stopping power.

I do think it's funny though the the zo6 has 120mm more of rubber in the front, and still cannot stop faster from 70 than the Gt3
Old 01-28-2007, 09:02 PM
jbeanstalk
Advanced

We drove (thrashed) a C-6 Z-06 that belongs to a friend of mine recently at a local police pursuit course set up in a huge parking lot. The Vette was impressively fast, and third gear power-slides were addictive, but within 15 minutes the brakes nearly faded into oblivion. Anyone else experienced this? Also - Z-06 drivers all lament how incredibly HOT the tranny tunnel gets (due to exhaust proximity). One owner showed me his suglasses that had been sitting in the little center storage compartment - they had actually MELTED from the heat! Everyone I've talked to at the track admits to keeping the AC on constantly during summer track laps.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:03 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Luke
I am in agreement with all, except about the brakes. The zo6 has some great stopping power.
Z06 brakes been melting down in these parts on track.

Originally Posted by Luke
I do think it's funny though the the zo6 has 120mm more of rubber in the front, and still cannot stop faster from 70 than the Gt3
Huh?
Old 01-28-2007, 11:59 PM
flash1034
Pro

Default Viper

and why no Dodge Viper SRT-10 in the test? On the last test Road and Track did, the Viper beat the Z06 around Willow Springs. These tests are soo bogus.

Flash
Old 01-29-2007, 01:03 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

C&D alwyas has that one point for trunk space winner. They do all the track comparisons and it
comes down to either trunk space or "gotta have it factor" for 10 points.
too subjective.

Quick Reply: Great New Article