Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum-141/)
-   -   Front Bumper Chin Lip Replacement (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/326252-front-bumper-chin-lip-replacement.html)

gweedo911 01-23-2007 10:34 PM

Front Bumper Chin Lip Replacement

Jee, this car sits really low. I managed to scrape the crap out of the front bumper lip going over a street bump. Fortunately the part is cheapo ~ $120. Has someone replaced the chin lip already? How difficult it is to replace? How do you remove it?

Mad Manx 01-24-2007 05:13 AM

The low ground clearance, and front overhang, means that it will incur a lot of pretty harmless 'scraping'.

However, the material used for the lip spoiler is quite tough and flexible, so it shouldn't break easily, and should last for quite a long time (albeit with a ragged lower edge).

Big Red 01-24-2007 07:50 AM

I have had my car now for 3 weeks and have scraped the lower edge several times. I looked at my car yesterday and I had a scrap on the upper part of the right front corner about 5 inches long. The scrap showed scratches in the material and discolored the material. I took some black shoe polish and put it on the scratch and you can hardly see the scratch now. I went ahead and had the local porsche dealer order me a replacement part and have it ready. There is no doubt that at some point in the near future I will need it.

Big Red

07 CLK 6.3 AMG
07 GL450
07 GT3

Frino 01-24-2007 08:13 AM

Do a search on "lip" on the 997 board. One owner/Deanski did a DIY replacement without issue. Others, including yours truly, tried DIY and got stuck. It's held on by two plastic screws and a series of clips. I am going to replace the OEM aero lip with spare GT3 lip next time I get the car serviced.

Deanski 01-24-2007 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did the replacement myself. No big deal. If you look where it ends inside the front wheel well, you'll see a short screw type fastener. It's not so much a screw, but one that pops out and in.

Anyway, loosen the screws at each end. On your new lip, you'll see how this thing just clips into the bumper. I loosened it by pulling a corner side out enough to unclip the thing. It was a matter of pulling it at an angle to release the clips on the lip w/o removing the underside covers to gain access. It took all of 15 minutes.

The new one just goes in reverse. Started at the ends and snapped it into the bumper, then managed to get the ends under that screw and push that back in and your're done.

Some have reported difficulty in removing. If you do have the dealership do it, ask to be there so the tech can show you how it's done.

That's the good thing about these lips, just black plastic, and easy to get on/off.

Since my car is a C2S with Aero, the original was painted, which I wish I removed it first before trashing it.

Here's a shot of the original lip:
Attachment 1233964

Nice and shiny black.... Well at least it was shinny at one point. Now I just use the GT3 lips.

Regards,
Deanski

khaug 01-24-2007 01:56 PM

The Porsche publication"Service Information" says we should regard this piece as a 'wear item'. How true! The dealer whacked mine before I took delivery and ordered me a new one, thereby giving me a training spoiler to learn on.

Mad Manx 01-24-2007 02:02 PM

A softer, more forgiving, rubber item - as fitted to the 3.2 Carrera Sport, would be more sensible.

mitch236 01-24-2007 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Manx
A softer, more forgiving, rubber item - as fitted to the 3.2 Carrera Sport, would be more sensible.

Not really, the front lip is there for downforce. Put in a very flexable item and get less downforce and greater drag.

Mad Manx 01-24-2007 04:23 PM

The 3.2 Sport lip spoiler isn't "very" flexible, otherwise it wouldn't do its job either. But it is more forgiving if it hits a hard object.

Deanski 01-24-2007 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by khaug
The Porsche publication"Service Information" says we should regard this piece as a 'wear item'. How true! The dealer whacked mine before I took delivery and ordered me a new one, thereby giving me a training spoiler to learn on.

Training spoiler, that's funny! :roflmao:

I hear the front gains 31lbs downforce at speeds. The rear adds up to 50lbs of downforce. As much as a rubber lip makes sense, it wouldn't work and will create drag.

That's why they made these things matte black, for replacement.

Deanski

jrgordonsenior 01-24-2007 10:13 PM

Well I've got H&R lowering springs and the front aerosport bumper cover coming. Looks like I'm going to be needing another front lip or two.... Deanski, got pic of the GT3 lip on your front end and is it the cup lip? I got lots of those.....

Deanski 01-25-2007 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Well I've got H&R lowering springs and the front aerosport bumper cover coming. Looks like I'm going to be needing another front lip or two.... Deanski, got pic of the GT3 lip on your front end and is it the cup lip? I got lots of those.....

Cup lips do not have those cut outs on each end. It's a solid piece, but formed to move air to the side from the loos of it.

I have the std GT3 lip which is the same used for all Aerokits, just not painted. There is another part number for primed GT3/Aero lips as well. I think the Cup lip is less expensive, and more ridged.

Regards,
Deanski

marioarnovais 10-11-2018 01:12 PM

Very nice!

Originally Posted by Deanski (Post 3802866)
I did the replacement myself. No big deal. If you look where it ends inside the front wheel well, you'll see a short screw type fastener. It's not so much a screw, but one that pops out and in.

Anyway, loosen the screws at each end. On your new lip, you'll see how this thing just clips into the bumper. I loosened it by pulling a corner side out enough to unclip the thing. It was a matter of pulling it at an angle to release the clips on the lip w/o removing the underside covers to gain access. It took all of 15 minutes.

The new one just goes in reverse. Started at the ends and snapped it into the bumper, then managed to get the ends under that screw and push that back in and your're done.

Some have reported difficulty in removing. If you do have the dealership do it, ask to be there so the tech can show you how it's done.

That's the good thing about these lips, just black plastic, and easy to get on/off.

Since my car is a C2S with Aero, the original was painted, which I wish I removed it first before trashing it.

Here's a shot of the original lip:
Attachment 1233964

Nice and shiny black.... Well at least it was shinny at one point. Now I just use the GT3 lips.

Regards,
Deanski

very nice your post.
I´m from Brazil. My car is identical your. See.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a46f28ce2.jpeg
911 Carrera S 997.1 w/ GT3kit (spoilers and short shift)

pissedpuppy 10-16-2018 11:17 PM

get the Cup splitter, they're cheaper...

orthofrancis 10-19-2018 12:21 PM

The cup splitter is cheaper, more flexible, but also sits lower. Do not buy the cheap PU (polyurethane) splitters found on line. Bought one on E-Bay and it lasted all of 2-3 months.

The cup splitter (no front air holes) also has built in dive planes on the sides.

Takes all of 5 minutes to change.