Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 sound at Laguna.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 09:20 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Johninrsf
"low 1:40s"!. Like :41 or:42. That's sounds alot better AND an excellent time for a street GT3!
John Keane broke Kevin Reynold's record of 1:43: something last summer at the POC event with a 1:42:141 in his 04' GT3....
Old 01-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
Interesting,

Because the FLying Lizard team at ALMS last October had exactly the same things to say as Carrera GT about the changes to the track, more bumpy even with new asphalt, esp turn 9 iirc.

Maybe because the SM are overall slower, the impact of the changes is less pronounced at lower speeds, and you are both correct?
More likely due to lighter weight, balance, and softer suspension.

As for the Flying Lizard team, I'd expect their suspension to be far stiffer than a stock street GT3 suspension and would be affected by the bumps more. But none-the-less the grip is far greater than before no matter what car you have.

We'll see what happens when they re-repave it in May...hopefully it will be just as fast but less bumpy....

I recall that almost all track records were broken at last years ALMS weekend by 1-2 seconds, except for GT1...
Old 01-12-2007, 01:29 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

So, it sounds like it has more grip, except where it has less grip.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Kind of...but the bumps didn't upset my cars balance...it was bumpy inside the car for sure but the car was still hanging in there. Now, the kids on the Superkarts probably HATED those bumps with a passion...

I had to use old hard tires to get my car to rotate quickly. I heard comments at every weekend about how the cars push now. The good thing was that I could use old practice tires (+21 heat cycled RA1's) rather than use my 3 heat cycled race tires and have better lap times.

Another benefit has been the lack of tire wear. My +21 heat cycled tires still have plenty of tread on them and they started out as 4/32 shaved tires...never had them go past 15 heat cycles before being turned to junk or worn down.

I don't know why the GT1 class was a tick off record pace while the other classes were flying including GT2.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:33 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Excellent review Carrera GT, first real objective 6 vs 7 GT3 review!
Old 02-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Time to bump this old thread.

At Laguna on Wednesday, couldn't pass sound due to low clouds (for the uninitiated, yes, that's serious) even with the elbows on the exhaust. Had to shift up to 4th and run half throttle down the middle of the track. Groan!

Clouds blew away later in the day and all was good.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 sound at Laguna.