Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Need help configuring my GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 12:40 AM
rzundel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help configuring my GT3

I was lucky enough to get a March build from my local dealership. I am trying to finalize my configuration and would appreciate your feedback. Since I can't get my hands on an RS right now, I am looking to configure a nicely equiped GT3. Open to your thoughts? Anything cool that I am missing?

2007 911 GT3
Base Porsche Base Model 106,000
A1 Black
78 Black Full Leather 2,995
P74 Bi-Xenon 1,090
450 PCCB 8,840
446 Wheel Caps and Crest 185
P01 Adaptive Sport Seats 2,295
509 Fire Extinguisher 140
XXz Foot Rest Aluminum 250
810 Floor Mats - Interior Color 0
XME Rear Center Console Painted 730
XPA 3-spoke Steering Wheel 0
XTV Door Finishers in Leather 360
XSC Porsche Crest in Headrest 270
EZA Interior Package Carbon 890
X69 Carbon Door Sil Insignia 780
490 Sound Audio Plus 715
Total Price 125,540

Last edited by rzundel; 12-30-2006 at 01:42 AM.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:04 AM
RS 197
Pro

Originally Posted by rzundel
I was lucky enough to get a March build from my local dealership. I am trying to finalize my configuration and would appreciate your feedback. Since I can't get my hands on an RS right now, I am looking to configure a nicely equiped GT3. Open to your thoughts? Anything cool that I am missing?

2007 911 GT3
A1 Black
P74 Bi-Xenon 1,090
450 PCCB 8,840
490 Sound Audio Plus 715
Total Price 125,540

If you get a chance go look at the standard interior of a GT3. I I think it looks great with nothing else. Carbon looks a little cheezey to me. I have never understood it.

I had full leather in my 997S it looks good but it is hard to take care of. It scratches very easily. I don't think it needs it. Except for the great smell.

The stock stereo is great. I think the upgraded stereo gives you that awfull screen in the dash. My car looks very clean without the screen.

I like the way the Sport Chrono breaks up the dash. It looks cool. It is easy to use and you can get it without the screen. Everyone that has seen it say's it fits with the spirit of the car. Lap timer on a track car?? Why not..

I don't get the rear center console painted. I think the carpet looks good. It is clean and neat and easy to take care of. If you throuth the dog back there he is going to scratch the **** out of it. Maybe I have never seen it. It might be cool.??

Adaptive sport seats are a waste of $$. The controls on the regular seats are perfect. You pump up the seat when needed. The tilt is power for the slight adjustments and unless you are really skinny and need to adjust the bolsters that is a huge waste of money.

A buddy of mine ordered all that stuff on his car too. As soon as he saw my car he wished he had left it alone and bought a set of track wheels instead.

Save yourself the extra $$$ and order Euro seats. Much more bang for your buck. Or maybe even the Roll cage. that will spice up the interior.

Either way the car will look great and you will love it.

PCCB'S, Xenon's, and Chrono. Thats it . $117 and some change.

Just my .02.

Happy New Year.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:53 AM
rzundel
Instructor

Originally Posted by RS 197
If you get a chance go look at the standard interior of a GT3. I I think it looks great with nothing else. Carbon looks a little cheezey to me. I have never understood it.

I had full leather in my 997S it looks good but it is hard to take care of. It scratches very easily. I don't think it needs it. Except for the great smell.

The stock stereo is great. I think the upgraded stereo gives you that awfull screen in the dash. My car looks very clean without the screen.

I like the way the Sport Chrono breaks up the dash. It looks cool. It is easy to use and you can get it without the screen. Everyone that has seen it say's it fits with the spirit of the car. Lap timer on a track car?? Why not..

I don't get the rear center console painted. I think the carpet looks good. It is clean and neat and easy to take care of. If you throuth the dog back there he is going to scratch the **** out of it. Maybe I have never seen it. It might be cool.??

Adaptive sport seats are a waste of $$. The controls on the regular seats are perfect. You pump up the seat when needed. The tilt is power for the slight adjustments and unless you are really skinny and need to adjust the bolsters that is a huge waste of money.

A buddy of mine ordered all that stuff on his car too. As soon as he saw my car he wished he had left it alone and bought a set of track wheels instead.

Save yourself the extra $$$ and order Euro seats. Much more bang for your buck. Or maybe even the Roll cage. that will spice up the interior.

Either way the car will look great and you will love it.

PCCB'S, Xenon's, and Chrono. Thats it . $117 and some change.

Just my .02.

Happy New Year.
Thanks Joe. Good food for thought. Maybe I'm trying too hard to dress up the interior. I guess I'm use to seeing Ferrari's with their dressed up interiors. I like the clean look of full leather. I need to re-think the carbin and painted center console.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:01 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've Adaptive seats in my "S"
For my GT3 I opted for regular as I never really fiddled with the bladders, and at PDE the manual Sport seats were just fine.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:04 AM
RS 197
Pro

Thanks Joe. Good food for thought. Maybe I'm trying too hard to dress up the interior. I guess I'm use to seeing Ferrari's with their dressed up interiors. I like the clean look of full leather. I need to re-think the carbin and painted center console.
Try and go look at one. With the Alcantera and the gray accents. The interior needs nothing but your *** at 120 MPH.

You need to see it in person. It looks perfect. The leather rapped door pull and panel pocket look great. they match the stitching on the seats. the no screen console is a way better look. The screen looks stupid.

Save your money you won't be sorry.

Good luck on making your decision. I had the same problem specing mine, and I have no regrets.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:29 AM
rzundel
Instructor

Try and go look at one. With the Alcantera and the gray accents. The interior needs nothing but your *** at 120 MPH.

You need to see it in person. It looks perfect. The leather rapped door pull and panel pocket look great. they match the stitching on the seats. the no screen console is a way better look. The screen looks stupid.

Save your money you won't be sorry.

Good luck on making your decision. I had the same problem specing mine, and I have no regrets.
Joe - have you taken delivery of your GT3? How do you compare it to your 997S? I currently have an '06 C4S Cab. I have people who think I'm nuts for changing cars after 1000 miles.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:36 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would delete the Adaptive sports seats. If you're going to track the car chances are you'll likely replace the seats anyway.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:38 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Joe - have you taken delivery of your GT3? How do you compare it to your 997S? I currently have an '06 C4S Cab. I have people who think I'm nuts for changing cars after 1000 miles.
dont worry, i have swapped a car with just 700 miles on it and icon is even worse.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:49 AM
RS 197
Pro

No comparison. Exspecially too your cab. I rented one in Palm Spring for a week, It was a blast to drive but the chasis is so much different. The ride quality the noise, handling, you will be suprized.

When you drive the GT3 you will feel like it is a totally differnt car. The suspension and the shifter will hit you first, then you will take a corner and just about run off the road because the turn in is soo much shaper. Then the sound and the ride quality. the car is stiff but feels really good. I feel like it is easier to shift, the clutch is not so touchy. In sport mode you don't get that twitchy throttle like the 997S. You sit a little lower in the seat and the car feels really good at that height. The car will feel the same early in the rev's , but at 3500 it will walk away from a 997s, It goes and goes. The car squats when you get on it, you will notice the limited slip on tight turns and hard down shifts. It tracks allot because of the tires. It feels more like my Cup car than my 997s. Body roll in almost non exsistant. the 997 feels good but not as crisp in the turns, ride hight and suspension make a ton of difference. The Alcantera is wonderfull. I was a skeptic.

That is all I can think of, you will not reget selling the cab, Just open the sunroof.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:15 AM
rzundel
Instructor

No comparison. Exspecially too your cab. I rented one in Palm Spring for a week, It was a blast to drive but the chasis is so much different. The ride quality the noise, handling, you will be suprized.

When you drive the GT3 you will feel like it is a totally differnt car. The suspension and the shifter will hit you first, then you will take a corner and just about run off the road because the turn in is soo much shaper. Then the sound and the ride quality. the car is stiff but feels really good. I feel like it is easier to shift, the clutch is not so touchy. In sport mode you don't get that twitchy throttle like the 997S. You sit a little lower in the seat and the car feels really good at that height. The car will feel the same early in the rev's , but at 3500 it will walk away from a 997s, It goes and goes. The car squats when you get on it, you will notice the limited slip on tight turns and hard down shifts. It tracks allot because of the tires. It feels more like my Cup car than my 997s. Body roll in almost non exsistant. the 997 feels good but not as crisp in the turns, ride hight and suspension make a ton of difference. The Alcantera is wonderfull. I was a skeptic.

That is all I can think of, you will not reget selling the cab, Just open the sunroof.
Thanks Joe. You've got me even more excited!
Old 12-30-2006, 04:01 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been working on this particularly whorey old chestnut myself.
Each to his own as they say. If you want more useful advice, I suggest you expand upon why you're buying the GT3 and what you'll be doing with it.

Most of what anyone does in the ordering of a the GT3 and the RS is cosmetics. The one big decision is PCCB. The one minor decision is PCM/Nav.

I think Porsche Nav is junk, so I skipped it and would rather a $500 TomTom than $3K Porsche thing. Just money. And the idea of a sports car with an LCD display in the console is daft to say the least. If you'll use it as a daily driver and you're leaking money, by all means, get the Nav and bluetooth and phone prep. Seriously. If I had a need, i'd add the "convenience" stuff. Not the froufrou (leather air vents or carbon stick-on trim etc.)

But I did got with CF to the shifter and brake lever and around the dash.

I wouldn't go with a $125K+ car without the full leather and it really does a lot to bring the GT3 up to Ferrari-like cabin feel. Again, money. If you're trimming the window sticker, forget look and feel, just make the big gulp on PCCB or get a bone stock car and accept the Boxster trim in a car that costs some three times as much.

For a black/black car (or a white/black or silver/black) I'd consider the factory painted black wheels (with the silver rim.)
Old 12-30-2006, 09:36 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

2007 911 GT3
A1 Black
P74 Bi-Xenon 1,090
450 PCCB 8,840
490 Sound Audio Plus 715
Total Price 125,540
I went throught the same thing a couple of days ago. Here are my thoughts:

- The GT3 wheel caps come standard with the "GT3" insignia. You can always buy the Porsche crest caps later. I found the GT3 caps more unique.
- My concerns with the rear center console painted were potential problems sctraching it. There is another thread on this topic
- The carbon door sils will likely scratch easily but I got them myself
- If you're not buying a track beast, I'd save the money on the PCCBs and spend half of that on European delivery and drive it around the alps for a week or two.
- Make sure you sit in the adaptive sport seats before spending that kind of money. I was underwhelmed to say the least.
- I got the PCM/Nav because I've never had a nav system in any car and although the Porsche system is rather crapy I also like the center console better with the large screen.
- Since you're getting the fire extinguisher, I'd also consider the red seatbelts. If you stick with the standard brakes, the red calipers, belts and the fire extinguisher might provide a nice accent. I had that on my C4S.

This should be an aweseome car - enjoy!
Old 12-30-2006, 10:05 AM
cooz
Pro

i would want stock alcantara steering wheel....

i would not get added interior trim options (ie carbon)
Old 12-30-2006, 11:10 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

One other thing, get the headlight washer nipples painted same colour as the car.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:12 AM
yellowmz3
Advanced

A little input, if I may:
Just picked up my Cobalt Blue GT3 last night. I have all of the options you mentioned plus some.
Only thing I can say is that the car looks great. If you truly spend some time driving the car on the roads, than make it look cool too. If you want a track car primarily, than don't waste your money. One thing for sure is that all of the extras you put in you won't get out when/if you get rid of the car.
I wanted my car to be uniquely me, so I blinged it out: to each his own.
Rob
PS Lets face it, a Lotus is probably a hell of alot of fun on the track for a 1/3d of the price, but we all have Porsches!

Quick Reply: Need help configuring my GT3